Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #751
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My M100/2.8 from Jay

Ran an errand, just "happened" to have my K10D and the M100/2.8 I got from Jay with me in the car - lo and behold, I was stopped at a railroad crossing taking the back way home.

Unscrewed

A little sharper - Locked_01.jpg

Last edited by monochrome; 05-05-2009 at 08:59 PM.
03-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #752
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Funny how we find ourselves taking the back roads, stopping to look at scenery and objects that were just out of site - or mind - before. Good shots, glad to see you're having as much fun with that baby as I did!

03-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #753
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Nice shots Isaac and joakimfors.

This is the best so far from the M 400/5.6. Getting closer to a good shot. Not exactly sure what this guy is. Some sort of Finch but not sure which. Ornithological opinions welcome.

Tom G
I am pretty sure he is a House Finch. They often show up at feeders with Goldfinches.

All About Birds: House Finch
03-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #754
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Railroads

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Funny how we find ourselves taking the back roads, stopping to look at scenery and objects that were just out of site - or mind - before. Good shots, glad to see you're having as much fun with that baby as I did! .
I live in an old railroad town about 15 miles outside of the City of St. Louis. The suburban bedroom communities grew up around us after WWII, but Kirkwood never changed with the times.

We still have a town square, a feed store / chicken hatchery (well. no chickens any more), a Farmers' Market, small businesses in the commercial area, you can pay your utility bill in person at City Hall, the policemen know your cars and children and call you when they "make a mistake" with TP or something - and AMTRAK still stops at the stone railroad station.

We tend to fiercely defend the atmosphere from big-box commercial encroachment and when someone sells a large-lot home they frequently accept less money from a family buyer and refuse to sell to a redeveloper who would put 4 or 6 houses on the lot. (We're also the community where the angry citizen killed 4 people at a City Council meeting last year - all of them personal friends).

Locals know to take "Backway Detour" under the bridge when a Union Pacific coal drag is pulling up Kirkwood Hill (they can take 15 minutes to pass eastbound) - but this time I didn't. I had the sunroof open, a CD in and I thought for once I would just sit and listen and watch the train.

But I had taken your lens - so I just pulled into an area that was a railroad passenger coach storage yard until 1948 and took some lazy pictures.

Funny thing, three people (all nodding acquaintances) pulled over to chat - one a Nikon user - and we had a nice talk about K-mount backwards compatibility. The Nikon guy has emailed twice now and we're getting together Sunday at the park. He was definitely interested.

Added another, sharper and brighter version of the RR lock. The switchstand opens the old DeSoto cutoff of the Sedalia Sub. It was finally converted into a bike trail last year, but about 1/4 mile still serves some old warehouses.

03-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #755
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I live in an old railroad town about 15 miles outside of the City of St. Louis. The suburban bedroom communities grew up around us after WWII, but Kirkwood never changed with the times.

We still have a town square, a feed store / chicken hatchery (well. no chickens any more), a Farmers' Market, small businesses in the commercial area, you can pay your utility bill in person at City Hall, the policemen know your cars and children and call you when they "make a mistake" with TP or something - and AMTRAK still stops at the stone railroad station.

We tend to fiercely defend the atmosphere from big-box commercial encroachment and when someone sells a large-lot home they frequently accept less money from a family buyer and refuse to sell to a redeveloper who would put 4 or 6 houses on the lot. (We're also the community where the angry citizen killed 4 people at a City Council meeting last year - all of them personal friends).

Locals know to take "Backway Detour" under the bridge when a Union Pacific coal drag is pulling up Kirkwood Hill (they can take 15 minutes to pass eastbound) - but this time I didn't. I had the sunroof open, a CD in and I thought for once I would just sit and listen and watch the train.

But I had taken your lens - so I just pulled into an area that was a railroad passenger coach storage yard until 1948 and took some lazy pictures.

Funny thing, three people (all nodding acquaintances) pulled over to chat - one a Nikon user - and we had a nice talk about K-mount backwards compatibility. The Nikon guy has emailed twice now and we're getting together Sunday at the park. He was definitely interested.

Added another, sharper and brighter version of the RR lock. The switchstand opens the old DeSoto cutoff of the Sedalia Sub. It was finally converted into a bike trail last year, but about 1/4 mile still serves some old warehouses.

Very evocative piece of writing, you make it sound like a marvelous place to shoot, and live.

Here's a shot I took with that lens on an easy summer afternoon:

03-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #756
Veteran Member

Here's one from the M85/2. Had this lens for a little while, but something that I have realized just the other day. THIS LENS IS AMAZINGLY SHARP AT f/2! (but it suffers from gobs of CA/PF...) It's sharper at f/2 than all of my fast 50's at f/2 (including an array of f/1.2, f/1.4, f/1.7, and f/2)...I like!

I know this shot doesn't suffer from CA/PF, but Jay (I know you love this lens) do you know of any way to correct for the wide CA that this lens generates at f/2? I've tried the CA correction and defringing that Lightroom has to offer but it doesn't always seem to help. Thoughts?

This photo isn't really a great example CA , but I liked the water-color-ish bokeh (which can certainly be harsh under certain circumstances...but very interestingn all at the same time). This one is at f/2, and still blazingly sharp in the focused areas. I'll get some more up pretty soon that demonstrate all of it's qualities.

03-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #757
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jim: That's a beautiful shot. I love this part of the year and it is wonderful to see the images coming back into the forum. I read great things about that lens and it seems they are justified. I have enough glass (more than enough) for now, but someday I'll try one of those.

Jay - I haven't gone sit-down fishing since I was little. Looks like a beautiful afternoon and a great lens. Your wife? My family is gradually getting over being annoyed with me, especially if I am shooting something they want like my son's Lacrosse games. I'd love to have a 600mm Tammy for those

I get all geared-up (always gear, right?) and stalk trout but somehow this year I haven't bought my sticker yet - I keep thinking about the views from my put-in points and whether I could safely wade with a camera instead of a rod and whether there is enough money in my rod closet to get the three queens and a K20 (I think there is enough for the 43 and the 77 - I'd have to cull the Vivitars and add some cash to get the 31) and keep just one or two rods - but then which two would I keep? Every time I get one or two out that I haven't used since 19xx - back they go!!

Some day college will be finished - and weddings will be paid for - and I'll just shoot the grandchildren and send them back home.

And the wheel keeps turning.

03-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #758
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Monochrome, those are three really nice shots with the 100.
03-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #759

he there

i'm a proud m-member aswell:

28mm/2.8, 35mm/2.8, 50mm/1.7, 100mm/2.8, 135mm/3.5

they are my favorites, i also have a beautifull catalogue in dutch on the m-series and other accessories, all lenses are listed here with photographs and pictures of the lens-configuration, wonderfull reading, but it makes you so "wanna have them all"..................

i'm currently bidding on a 200mm/4.0......... we'll see.............
03-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #760
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
Here's one from the M85/2. Had this lens for a little while, but something that I have realized just the other day. THIS LENS IS AMAZINGLY SHARP AT f/2! (but it suffers from gobs of CA/PF...) It's sharper at f/2 than all of my fast 50's at f/2 (including an array of f/1.2, f/1.4, f/1.7, and f/2)...I like!

I know this shot doesn't suffer from CA/PF, but Jay (I know you love this lens) do you know of any way to correct for the wide CA that this lens generates at f/2? I've tried the CA correction and defringing that Lightroom has to offer but it doesn't always seem to help. Thoughts?

This photo isn't really a great example CA , but I liked the water-color-ish bokeh (which can certainly be harsh under certain circumstances...but very interestingn all at the same time). This one is at f/2, and still blazingly sharp in the focused areas. I'll get some more up pretty soon that demonstrate all of it's qualities.

I LOVE THAT SHOT! That's what I'm talking about, the M 85 f/2 is wonderful wide
open. As far as the PF - actually, it looks more blue than purple on my copy, but
it's there. I don't attempt to do anything about it these days - it's the flaw in
the diamond that tells you it's from the earth.

Jim: That's a beautiful shot. I love this part of the year and it is wonderful to see the images coming back into the forum. I read great things about that lens and it seems they are justified. I have enough glass (more than enough) for now, but someday I'll try one of those.

Jay - I haven't gone sit-down fishing since I was little. Looks like a beautiful afternoon and a great lens. Your wife? My family is gradually getting over being annoyed with me, especially if I am shooting something they want like my son's Lacrosse games. I'd love to have a 600mm Tammy for those
No, just some random fisher-girl at a nearby lake. Everyone fishes here - it's the
land of 10,00 lakes, after all. Unfortunately, our state bird is also the Mosquito.

(Incidentally, that was taken about 30 feet from where I dropped my tamron + K20D
in the water. But I still love it there. )

QuoteQuote:
I get all geared-up (always gear, right?) and stalk trout but somehow this year I haven't bought my sticker yet - I keep thinking about the views from my put-in points and whether I could safely wade with a camera instead of a rod and whether there is enough money in my rod closet to get the three queens and a K20 (I think there is enough for the 43 and the 77 - I'd have to cull the Vivitars and add some cash to get the 31) and keep just one or two rods - but then which two would I keep? Every time I get one or two out that I haven't used since 19xx - back they go!!

Some day college will be finished - and weddings will be paid for - and I'll just shoot the grandchildren and send them back home.

And the wheel keeps turning.
Yes it does. And you should at least bring that 100 2.8 to your put-in-points
until you expand. It's a perfect telephoto to bring along places like that.

QuoteOriginally posted by hansli Quote
he there

i'm a proud m-member aswell:

28mm/2.8, 35mm/2.8, 50mm/1.7, 100mm/2.8, 135mm/3.5

they are my favorites, i also have a beautifull catalogue in dutch on the m-series and other accessories, all lenses are listed here with photographs and pictures of the lens-configuration, wonderfull reading, but it makes you so "wanna have them all"..................

i'm currently bidding on a 200mm/4.0......... we'll see.............

Post shots from that nice collection here!

03-26-2009, 02:24 AM   #761
Veteran Member

M135/3.5

Here is a shot I took with an M135/3.5 on my K10d. Cropped and sharpened a little.
All I can say is "I love that lens". It really comes up with the results. Seems I missed the centre of focus just slightly (damned glasses)

03-26-2009, 08:32 AM   #762

My first uploads

Here are a couple of my shots. I am a total SLR newbie. I got a K100DSuper in December with the kit lens. I just bought a M50mm f1.7 a month ago. It's hard but I'm having a lot of fun, thanks to all of the posters who have shared so much info.

Both were shot wide open, slight cropping for the bee, the indoor one had no flash.

03-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #763
Veteran Member

An evocative tale, and do defend your community.

I live in a town which was established easily a thousand years ago, and has the largest ruined castle in England to prove it (Kenilworth). But the real development of the town came when the railways came here. The city of Birmingham was where the industrial revolution started but was a manufacturing town well before then. The factories made it an unpleasant place to live, and although they made large amounts of money from their factories, their owners did not want to live nearby. When the railway came to my town it was less than 30 minutes to the industrial part of Brum and so the industrialists built their mansions here. Old maps show many large houses set in large gardens.

My late neighbour, who lived in the town for 80 years, told me of another advantage of the railways - easy access for a market of the town's produce. He told me that when he was a boy the town had fourty market gardens and he said that tomatoes from our town had a high reputation in London (just two hours away by train). Indeed, one road is still called Glasshouse Lane, not because of the glasshouses there but because of the glass factory that was there to provide the glass for all of the glasshouses in the town.

The railway station closed down in the 60s and at that time one of the two lines that came to the town was also closed and is now a public footpath and bridleway. The other line is still used, but the trains are just a blur to us: there is nowhere for them to stop.

When I moved here a decade and a half ago, there was just one of the market gardens remaining. The rest had been sold for development and modern, lego-brick houses were built in the places where there had been glasshouses and lettuce fields.

A few of the smaller mansions still exist now, but they are squashed, cheek-by-jowel with the modern houses built on the gardens that they had sold off. The larger mansions were demolished, but their ghosts remain. The road patterns show their position and some road names bear their names, but interestingly, many of the mansion owners liked to grow specimen trees and so wandering around some of the new housing estates you'll be confronted by a 100 year old Wellingtonia or Cedar of Lebanon. Certainly not the sort of trees that a housing developer would plant. It is nice that the trees were spared by the developers, but they do look out of place. Such magnificent trees should be set aside in landscaped parkland rather than on the smallest plot of land that could be spared from the development.

Something like a decade ago the remaining market garden sold half its land to a supermarket, then five years ago they sold the rest for housing. Now, other than the ghosts of street names and street plans, and the occasional oversized specimen tree or a mansion squashed in the middle of a row of modern houses, there is little sign of the century and a half of development I described above. Now the town is a dormatory town for a local university and there is not much life here during the day on weekdays.

It is easy to be remorseful about this loss, but is is just as easy to say "that is progress". You cannot stop progress, and you shouldn't, but when "progress" does come just make sure that it enhances your town.

Richard
03-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #764
Veteran Member

The above story reminds me why it is so important to take pictures of our local communities. We are the documenters of the past.
03-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #765
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
The above story reminds me why it is so important to take pictures of our local communities. We are the documenters of the past.
It's interesting that you said that. I have a collection of photographs my grandfather took when he lived in Shanghai between 1928 and 1946. Some subjects are well documented (his house in 1941, for example), but when I first went through them I often thought "why didn't he take more pictures of that place?" I *really* would like to know more about his life and where he lived.

Then I thought, what would my grandkids say about my photo collection? Would they say "lovely flowers, but what was the neighbourhood like where he lived?". After I typed that last post I thought: I really do need to get out and take some pictures of the town.

Richard