Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2019, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #7756
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
December Single In Challenge 2019 with K1ii & M85/2

4th

I wasn't quite happy with any of my attempts to organize the lenses for the shoot, so I settle for disarray which at least show most of critical information on labels. My black Friday treasure.

K1ii M85/2 ISO100 f11 1s on tripod:

My best attempt from the angle I had originally in my mind:

12-05-2019, 06:40 AM - 2 Likes   #7757
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

5th

They grow up so fast

K1ii ISO100 f5.6 1/180 flash (and lot of rescue work in pp, as the main light in the flash didn't shoot resulting in severely underexposed shot)

Indipendence day tomorrow in Finland. Kids had celebrations in the school today and my son wanted to go all dressed up. First time in black suit, so had to take a shot in the morning. Which brings me to the topic of the day; I need a flash. My old I got from my father is from somewhere of late 70's, I guess. Bit tricky to use, but I could live with it on K30, as it worked. On K1ii it doesn't and only shoot the small support light straight ahead. Even that works unreliably. I don't like to use flash, so problem haven't come up before, but I need one occasionally, so I guess I need buy a new. Problem is I want it to be good, flexible and cheap Several hundreds feels too much if I use it couple of times a year. Any suggestions?
12-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #7758
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
5th

They grow up so fast

K1ii ISO100 f5.6 1/180 flash (and lot of rescue work in pp, as the main light in the flash didn't shoot resulting in severely underexposed shot)

Indipendence day tomorrow in Finland. Kids had celebrations in the school today and my son wanted to go all dressed up. First time in black suit, so had to take a shot in the morning. Which brings me to the topic of the day; I need a flash. My old I got from my father is from somewhere of late 70's, I guess. Bit tricky to use, but I could live with it on K30, as it worked. On K1ii it doesn't and only shoot the small support light straight ahead. Even that works unreliably. I don't like to use flash, so problem haven't come up before, but I need one occasionally, so I guess I need buy a new. Problem is I want it to be good, flexible and cheap Several hundreds feels too much if I use it couple of times a year. Any suggestions?
Thanks for sharing information about Finland's Independence Day. I was interested to follow up for more information, and thought I might share this interesting link for the benefit of other Forum members.

https://finland.fi/life-society/finns-celebrate-freedom-every-december/
12-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #7759
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Thanks for sharing information about Finland's Independence Day. I was interested to follow up for more information, and thought I might share this interesting link for the benefit of other Forum members.
That's actually quite good wrap up of the traditional and official celebrations. Only major thing missing is Indepence Day parade by Finnish army. Personally I'm not good with traditions and typically celebrate by skiing or snowboarding up north.

12-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #7760
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's actually quite good wrap up of the traditional and official celebrations. Only major thing missing is Indepence Day parade by Finnish army. Personally I'm not good with traditions and typically celebrate by skiing or snowboarding up north.
I would have to opt for the Army parade; 80 is a little old for skiing up north! Skiing is important in Finland, of course, and we all know of the Finnish Army's heroic battle on skiis against Soviet Russian troops during the the WW II period--a battle that will resound in history down through ages yet to come.
12-05-2019, 08:08 PM - 7 Likes   #7761
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 + M 20/4:

12-06-2019, 02:35 AM   #7762
Pentaxian

5th

They grow up so fast

As to a cheap and decent flash, Yongnuo does a rather good job that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. Most reviews are positive and I'm starting to like mine.

12-06-2019, 03:25 AM   #7763
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
As to a cheap and decent flash, Yongnuo does a rather good job that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. Most reviews are positive and I'm starting to like mine.
Yes, there seems to be 2 good and reasonably priced option, Yongnuo and Godox TT350P, that offer performance and possibility to build larger light system around them. I'd like to keep that option open just in case. Currently leaning towards Godox.
12-06-2019, 05:07 AM   #7764
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
K-1 + M 20/4:
Beautiful image, great negative space above focusses attention on the rocks. Nice indeed.
12-06-2019, 05:23 AM   #7765
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

6th - Monochrome theme.

We have reached an compromise. He can keep on sleeping outside, if we can replace his shack out of rags with a tent that can handle the weather better. Better bring some -35 extreme winter sleeping bags from the storage at my parents place, as he is boasting about sleeping out thru the winter.

K1ii M85/2 ISO800 f2 1/250 Brenizer method stitch from 24 shots:

For those who don't know the story; My son went sleeping on our terrace in June to escape heat. Wouldn't come in when heatwave was over, nor when summet turned to autumn, and now it seems he won't come in even when the winter hits. I've done my share of winter hiking and stayed out there even when weather hits -30C. With proper gear and knowledge it's really no problem. Therefore I don't doubt his plan. I'm mainly worried when we get our balcony back to also for other uses

Some back pain came out of nowhere today while building up the tent. Not very mobile for some time, so the level of shooting may drop, but won't stop
12-06-2019, 07:40 AM   #7766
Pentaxian

6th - Monochrome theme.

We have reached an compromise. He can keep on sleeping outside, if we can replace his shack out of rags with a tent that can handle the weather better. Better bring some -35 extreme winter sleeping bags from the storage at my parents place, as he is boasting about sleeping out thru the winter.

K1ii M85/2 ISO800 f2 1/250 Brenizer method stitch from 24 shots:

For those who don't know the story; My son went sleeping on our terrace in June to escape heat. Wouldn't come in when heatwave was over, nor when summet turned to autumn, and now it seems he won't come in even when the winter hits. I've done my share of winter hiking and stayed out there even when weather hits -30C. With proper gear and knowledge it's really no problem. Therefore I don't doubt his plan. I'm mainly worried when we get our balcony back to also for other uses

Some back pain came out of nowhere today while building up the tent. Not very mobile for some time, so the level of shooting may drop, but won't stop
I'm curious - what constitutes a heatwave in Finland?

I've known summer temperatures here in Madrid to hit 47C (116F for the yanks) and as a rule of thumb any summer daytime temperature over 34C means that the temperature won't fall sufficiently at night for me to sleep comfortably (with the window wide open, of course).
12-06-2019, 08:30 AM   #7767
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'm curious - what constitutes a heatwave in Finland?
Officially anything above +25C

Personally I consider it heatwave when we are around +30C. Unfortunatelly there are summers when we don't reach that high. It feels like you've been cheated.
12-07-2019, 04:22 AM - 2 Likes   #7768
Pentaxian

Nice, and sleeping outside is good and healthy (over here we have little wooden sheds where babies can sleep outside, for the interested, check this). Hope your back gets better soon.

Here's a picture of the ice we had on our swimming pond this thursday. Taken with the M100/4 macro in the early morning.

12-07-2019, 05:26 AM   #7769
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

7th

Now that I'm not very mobile, I thought it's time for this monthly shot. In some tests the wide open performance of this lens is rated pretty poor. My copy on K1ii doesn't look so bad.

K1ii M85/2 ISO100 f2 1/4s on tripod:
12-07-2019, 05:33 AM   #7770
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Nice, and sleeping outside is good and healthy (over here we have little wooden sheds where babies can sleep outside, for the interested, check this). Hope your back gets better soon.
We simply put them out in baby carriers for the afternoon nap.

Thanks, it doesn't feel as bad as previous time. Today is already much easier.