Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8850 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #796
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 28/3.5 is a great lens, no doubt about it. Mine is still in the family, but not with me. I would not find it all that useful on my k10d, given the crop factor. It comes out as a normal lens rather than a wide angle, and for that range I have the DA* 16-50.

04-20-2009, 05:20 AM   #797
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's a couple with K10D and M 200mm f/4

cheers
04-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #798

QuoteOriginally posted by richard64 Quote
Excellent pictures Trojan, love to see more.

The cops use Nikon... hmm poor taste... However, you are aware that it is now illegal to take pictures of cops, with a max 10 year sentence? Silly law, and unenforeable, of course.

Richard
Nice snowdrops Richard! Glad that you avoided getting your knees wet. As for Section 27 - how else would the public have known what really happened in London at the G20 protests?

SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 (or it might have been the M 28mm f2.8! I carried both that day):

04-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #799
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I never knew a garlic press could be erotic.

Somehow this evokes calves in heels in a saucy pose. I can actually see the hand on the hip as she peeks over her shoulder!

Beautiful light and shadow. Please, please, show us your strobist techniques!!
Hey thanks monochrome.Yeah I couldn't find any models so the garlic press had to do.Plus it doesn't complain under hot lights

Chris

04-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #800
Veteran Member

Done with my M-40-80 2.8

The minimum focus distance is pretty far but I love the sharpness of the lens as a whole. I can only use it on my K200 because my K100 can't stop down when I use the aperture ring, even with my 50-A. And yes, the camera is set to use the aperture ring but no matter what f-stop I turn to it stays wide open. At least with the k200 I can see the shutter speed change when I adjust the aperture with the ring. But hey, better to be stuck wide open than at f32, right? Besides, its just on the k100. Maybe its a spring that needs fixing.

Have many people here gotten newer replacements for their M series lenses at the same focal length? The only digital lenses I have are the kit lens and the 50-200. Honestly, I dont mind the manual focus, but I was thinking of getting the Katz-eye focus screen.
Attached Images

04-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #801
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jboyde Quote
Done with my M-40-80 2.8

The minimum focus distance is pretty far but I love the sharpness of the lens as a whole. I can only use it on my K200 because my K100 can't stop down when I use the aperture ring, even with my 50-A. And yes, the camera is set to use the aperture ring but no matter what f-stop I turn to it stays wide open. At least with the k200 I can see the shutter speed change when I adjust the aperture with the ring. But hey, better to be stuck wide open than at f32, right? Besides, its just on the k100. Maybe its a spring that needs fixing.

Have many people here gotten newer replacements for their M series lenses at the same focal length? The only digital lenses I have are the kit lens and the 50-200. Honestly, I dont mind the manual focus, but I was thinking of getting the Katz-eye focus screen.
I think you missed a step in your use of the manual lens. In Av it will only work wide open, but if you set your camera to M, you can set an f/stop and the camera will use that stop. There are two ways to meter with the aperture not on A.
  • Press the green button (AE-L if you don't have a green button) which will set the shutter speed according to the program line.
  • Use the optical depth of field preview (on the on/off switch) to meter. By adjusting the aperture and/or the shutter speed, you can match the camera's recommended exposure on either a scale or with a number in the bottom right of the viewfinder, from -3.0 to 0.0 to 3.0 stops.
04-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #802
Veteran Member

Hi.
Yes, I've been doing that and it doesn't adjust, even in M.
For example, I'm pointing the camera at my monitor right now and it registered at 1/500 f/8 at ISO 400. But, if I turn the ring to 2.8 or 16 and press AE-L the shutter speed doesn't change. On my 200 you can see the speed change in the viewfinder as you turn the ring. And all the settings are identical. The 100 assumes metering at 2.8 because the lens just wont stop down on it.

I really do appreciate the help Albert. Unfortunately I have to believe there's a problem with the body. Ive read how some people have had to get the camera serviced for the spring and/or lever on the left side of the lens ring because it was stuck and it leaves the lens open when using the ring, even though its fine when its on A. Its not really much of a problem tho.

04-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #803
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi.
Yes, I've been doing that and it doesn't adjust, even in M.
For example, I'm pointing the camera at my monitor right now and it registered at 1/500 f/8 at ISO 400. But, if I turn the ring to 2.8 or 16 and press AE-L the shutter speed doesn't change. On my 200 you can see the speed change in the viewfinder as you turn the ring. And all the settings are identical. The 100 assumes metering at 2.8 because the lens just wont stop down on it.

I really do appreciate the help Albert. Unfortunately I have to believe there's a problem with the body. Ive read how some people have had to get the camera serviced for the spring and/or lever on the left side of the lens ring because it was stuck and it leaves the lens open when using the ring, even though its fine when its on A. Its not really much of a problem tho.
This is a remote sort of idea, but did you reset your custom functions? This will reset the [Use Aperture Ring] to the default [Prohibited]. My k10d will refuse to fire the shutter when this happens, but your K200 may fire anyway.
04-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #804
Veteran Member

For example, I'm pointing the camera at my monitor right now and it registered at 1/500 f/8 at ISO 400. But, if I turn the ring to 2.8 or 16 and press AE-L the shutter speed doesn't change.
Did you half press the shutter first to wake up the metering system? You have to do that before AE-L will function on the K100D. Once you wake up the meter, you have some length of time (depending on the setting of a custom option) to hit AE-L and have it actually do what it is supposed to.

QuoteQuote:
On my 200 you can see the speed change in the viewfinder as you turn the ring.
Huh? With an M lens? Nothing at all should happen with an M lens when you turn the ring, unless you haven't mounted it fully. Only after you hit AE-L should the shutter speed change. Or is that what you meant?
04-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #805
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
<snip>

Huh? With an M lens? Nothing at all should happen with an M lens when you turn the ring, unless you haven't mounted it fully. Only after you hit AE-L should the shutter speed change. Or is that what you meant?
If you use the dof preview method, you can shift the reading with either the aperture ring or the shutter e-dial.
04-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #806
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

M 400/5.6 - Springtme in the Rockies NOT

Yesterday, April 22, 2009, we were admiring the new green shoots of grass coming through the freshly raked lawn. This morning .... I curse because I summerized the snow blower last Saturday. 20+ centimeters (it's still falling) or 8+ inches of white stuff that we all thought was gone until November. No such luck. Well, I should have listened to all the old residents who told me when I first came up here "We only have two seasons here: winter and July".

To put it on topic, I am very pleasantly surprised at the lack of CA and PF. I think between stopping down two stops from wide open and the flat lighting, the old girl did her best. Both images are in my gallery, and the EXIF data seems to be intact there.

The exposures are not equivalent because of the lighting differences. My home backs up on a forest, and the fence is in the open.

K10D, M400/5.6, ISO 800, 1/60 @ f/11

K10D, M400/5.6, ISO 800, 1/160 @ f/11

04-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #807
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
If you use the dof preview method, you can shift the reading with either the aperture ring or the shutter e-dial.
I reset the camera and made sure that the meter was awake and no matter what it meters like its wide open. Having a 1/3000 sec exposure at f/22 on the ring at ISO200 on a cloudy day outside?? Like Lumberg in "Office Space", "yeaaahhhhh. I'll just have to get that checked out. Thaaaanks."

I'm sure its the camera body as my k200 doesn't have this problem. The picture here is from this year's Cherry Blossom festival in DC. I have the 40-80 M lens on my 200D and I had the cam on Av mode wide open. The lens worked like a charm. It also exposed well on shots stepped down to 5.6 and 8.

I do appreciate the help. And I'm definitely going to post more of this great lens in the forum. Sorry for the slight derail guys.

UPDATE: I found the problem with the lens/camera issue. It wasn't settings. As to not derail this thread further I made a new post here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/58061-found-proble...s-my-k100.html
Attached Images

Last edited by jboyde; 04-23-2009 at 02:47 PM.
04-26-2009, 06:38 AM   #808

by my M 80 - 200/4.5, F200, 1/750s, ISO 400
Attached Images

04-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #809
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trojan_Llama Quote
As for Section 27 - how else would the public have known what really happened in London at the G20 protests?
Indeed, very public spirited of you. (Silly, unenforceible law...)

QuoteQuote:
SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 (or it might have been the M 28mm f2.8! I carried both that day):
Those were great. I do appreciate the way you use B&W - it does seem very appropriate for the subject. Hmmm, I notice that most of those police have no identification numbers on their uniforms - naughty!

Richard
04-29-2009, 01:42 AM   #810
Pentaxian

I have a couple of M lenses which I really love; it is about time i post a few photos from them, eh?

#1 Wine Bottle(M 50mm f/1.7)

#2 Baby push-ups(M 200mm f/4)

#3 Bee on Lavender(M 50mm f/1.7 - reverse mounted on camera)