Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2020, 12:39 PM   #8146
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
M 85mm f/2 on a 31mm extension tube.
M85 does have nice background bokeh with extension tubes.

05-26-2020, 06:22 AM   #8147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The colours are beautiful.
That's one of the M 85's specialities

These flowers don't have too much red in them, so the photos come out pretty accurate.
05-26-2020, 06:54 AM - 2 Likes   #8148
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Bright sunny day. The left over shots from M120 are still pretty decent

05-26-2020, 11:23 AM - 5 Likes   #8149
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Ferns
Pentax K-1 mII Ltd Silver, M85f2, AF201FG flash

05-26-2020, 01:50 PM - 6 Likes   #8150
Pentaxian

With the M 20/4:

05-29-2020, 03:57 AM - 2 Likes   #8151
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

M120

05-29-2020, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #8152
Pentaxian

=====
Squash blossom
Shots from our box garden. I have macro lenses, but I chose a portrait lens and extension tube because I could.
Pentax K-1 mII, M100f2.8 & 36mm extension tube

05-29-2020, 05:14 PM - 4 Likes   #8153
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

K3 & M50 F4 Macro
05-30-2020, 08:57 AM - 14 Likes   #8154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
M star 300mm f4. Captured at f8. Terrific lens.

05-30-2020, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #8155
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
M star 300mm f4. Captured at f8. Terrific lens.
It is, indeed. Not always easy to use and could use tripod foot on it, but when you nail it it's sweet.
05-30-2020, 11:54 PM - 7 Likes   #8156
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

May Single In Challenge 2020 with K1ii & M120/2.8

M120/2.8 is the best tele in M series from 100mm to 200mm. M150 gave a competition for the title, but otherwise I've been quite certain for a long time. This month was enough to solve that last step and now I'm ready to publish my opinion.

It's sharpest of them all. At least when comparing my copies. I don't have any test data to back up my opinion. It's based on the feeling from the shots. There's a clear step in sharpness from f2.8 to f4 and therefore I shot a lot at f4. It seems to be the sweet spot for the lens, as it combines sharpness with smooth bokeh resulting in great pop.
Bokeh is among the best in series and transition is smooth and pleasing. If extra smoothness is desired f2.8 provides clearly smoother bokeh than f4, if you are ready to let go some on the sharpness of detail. Lens also handles macro shooting well if you are ready to play with extension tubes. In real life it's often easier to change to real macro thought. Starbursts are awesome 8 pointers, thought I didn't push for nightscapes this month due to lightness. Night comes too late this time of the year. But for sunsets I rather go with M150.

There is CA. Especially wide open. But it's not the worst in series in this regard. It's nothing that stands out. Can ususally been cleared out and most of it is gone when stopped down. I've shot some pretty harsh light conditions during the month and come thru.

Build quality, handling and size are typically great. Small size makes it an easy to carry along on travels to have tele option with you just in case. It has build in hood, which is nice to have, thought I used external hood this month.

For some reason M120 is overlooked lens. Reviews in PF rate it lower than it should be. Also thought it's rare it's cheap. It goes for about same price as M100/2.8 thought stands head and shoulders above it in performance. I think this is the best value in my collection after ridiculously cheap fifties If you're looking for one, you must look elsewhere as I'm not letting mine go in a long time. If ever.

I continue single in challenge in June with M35/2. An other great lens I've been saving to the end of the FF round.

Wide open:

f4:

f5.6:

f8:

f11:
05-31-2020, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #8157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
M120/2.8 is the best tele in M series from 100mm to 200mm. M150 gave a competition for the title, but otherwise I've been quite certain for a long time. This month was enough to solve that last step and now I'm ready to publish my opinion.

It's sharpest of them all. At least when comparing my copies. I don't have any test data to back up my opinion. It's based on the feeling from the shots. There's a clear step in sharpness from f2.8 to f4 and therefore I shot a lot at f4. It seems to be the sweet spot for the lens, as it combines sharpness with smooth bokeh resulting in great pop.
Bokeh is among the best in series and transition is smooth and pleasing. If extra smoothness is desired f2.8 provides clearly smoother bokeh than f4, if you are ready to let go some on the sharpness of detail. Lens also handles macro shooting well if you are ready to play with extension tubes. In real life it's often easier to change to real macro thought. Starbursts are awesome 8 pointers, thought I didn't push for nightscapes this month due to lightness. Night comes too late this time of the year. But for sunsets I rather go with M150.

There is CA. Especially wide open. But it's not the worst in series in this regard. It's nothing that stands out. Can ususally been cleared out and most of it is gone when stopped down. I've shot some pretty harsh light conditions during the month and come thru.

Build quality, handling and size are typically great. Small size makes it an easy to carry along on travels to have tele option with you just in case. It has build in hood, which is nice to have, thought I used external hood this month.

For some reason M120 is overlooked lens. Reviews in PF rate it lower than it should be. Also thought it's rare it's cheap. It goes for about same price as M100/2.8 thought stands head and shoulders above it in performance. I think this is the best value in my collection after ridiculously cheap fifties If you're looking for one, you must look elsewhere as I'm not letting mine go in a long time. If ever.

I continue single in challenge in June with M35/2. An other great lens I've been saving to the end of the FF round.
Great shots and a nice review. I haven't used mine in some time but my impression has been that it's better than the 100mm and a lot better than the 135mm.

M 35mm f/2 with some nice flare. This was stopped down to f/8 or f/11 on my X-T20.

Evening flare
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
05-31-2020, 07:30 AM   #8158
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Great shots and a nice review. I haven't used mine in some time but my impression has been that it's better than the 100mm and a lot better than the 135mm.
Thanks. I actually like M135 more than 100mm due to 3D feeling it has. If it only were sharper
05-31-2020, 07:47 AM   #8159
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the great review of the M120 iheiramo, I enjoy your reviews much more than the pixel peeper type of review. You boil it down to whether or not the lens takes great, good, nice or ???? photos, and that is all I ever want to know.
05-31-2020, 08:03 AM   #8160
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Thanks for the great review of the M120 iheiramo, I enjoy your reviews much more than the pixel peeper type of review. You boil it down to whether or not the lens takes great, good, nice or ???? photos, and that is all I ever want to know.
Thougth I´m MSc I seem to lack the patience, punctuality, pedantry and the love for charts that is typically associated with my profession. I simply find test charts too boring to read. Let alone to shoot them myself