Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8850 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2020, 01:30 AM   #8416
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
These are impressively sharp imaged shoes.
Stopped down M50/1.7 delivers Camera on tripod and pixelshift add finishing touch. To avoid shutter shock and other vibrations I nowadays use IR remote on 3s delay and electronic shutter whenever I have camera on tripod. Might be bit overkill to combine everything, but why not when it really doesn't add work.

12-23-2020, 07:31 AM - 7 Likes   #8417
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy Holidays everyone

*ist DS2/M28 F2.8
12-23-2020, 04:39 PM - 2 Likes   #8418
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
I know most of you folks prefer primes, as do I, but the M 35-70mm f2.8-3.5 also deserves a little love and attention once in a while. This little gem is built like a tank and is a joy to handle. I rescued my mint condition copy from a camera store at what I consider a bargain price several years ago. Did I say I really like this lens?
I'm also a fan of this one. When it was a new model in the late '70s it was rather expensive, seemed a little heavy, and was rare to even see at most local camera stores. It was in stock where I worked but we couldn't get much interest in it. I think it was ahead of its time since 35mm shooters got a fast, very small, and sharp 50mm with their new, small M cameras and were just not much interested in "standard" zooms yet. It wasn't until a few years later when the "standard" zoom was often smaller and lighter with some even having a longer zoom range that people began to buy them. Although the M35-70 had a larger max aperture than most, people weren't ready for the concept until, I think, better fast film and more easily useable flash units changed habits. Likewise, the M40-80 seemed to have the same fate. IMHO
I bought my own 35-70 copy a few years ago for barely 100 bucks in perfect condition and really like the image quality.
12-24-2020, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #8419
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Stopped down M50/1.7 delivers Camera on tripod and pixelshift add finishing touch. To avoid shutter shock and other vibrations I nowadays use IR remote on 3s delay and electronic shutter whenever I have camera on tripod. Might be bit overkill to combine everything, but why not when it really doesn't add work.
And it does pay off. Now begin to imagine that this is done with a decades-old manual lens instead of the latest and greatest. Well done and a tribute to these fine old lenses.

12-24-2020, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #8420
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
And it does pay off. Now begin to imagine that this is done with a decades-old manual lens instead of the latest and greatest. Well done and a tribute to these fine old lenses.
Yeah, big rispect for the engineers of the past. They did amazing work without the aid of modern computation.
12-24-2020, 04:47 AM   #8421
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Yeah, big rispect for the engineers of the past. They did amazing work without the aid of modern computation.
I've thought this a lot of times.
12-24-2020, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #8422
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I've the M 50/1.7 but never used it on digital... The other 50/1.7 I own is the F version... I do own the 50/1.4 in A version and Tak (and Ricoh) and I love it.... Why do ppl love that 1.7? I do not like my F 1.7 at all.

Now, for a 50/1.2, I'd probably join them all ( 2 1.7's and the tak 1.4) not the ricoh nor the A.

Edit - the Tak it is obviously the thorium version.

Edit edit - I wuldn't expect anyone doing such trade off - I mean I'd sell to get funds...
I have three copies of the M 50/1.7, have previously owned two copies of the A version, and I have the FA and DAL 50/1.8. Of those, I like the M a lot and the A is very good but I don't have much use for it - either fully manual or fully automatic (including AF) for me so something in between serves me little. I expected to like the FA but have never gotten on with it even though it can produce very good images - I just don't enjoy the feel of it or using it. The DAL, though supposedly a cheaper version, performs just as well and feels nicer to use.

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Are those photos very sharp? Anyone else seeing onlineflyer's images and thinking something isn't quite right there? If I'm the only one tell me but it's almost like all of them are slightly out of focus.
They look soft to me too, especially the first two.

12-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #8423
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I have three copies of the M 50/1.7, have previously owned two copies of the A version, and I have the FA and DAL 50/1.8. Of those, I like the M a lot and the A is very good but I don't have much use for it - either fully manual or fully automatic (including AF) for me so something in between serves me little. I expected to like the FA but have never gotten on with it even though it can produce very good images - I just don't enjoy the feel of it or using it. The DAL, though supposedly a cheaper version, performs just as well and feels nicer to use.
This thread will make me use my M 50/1.7... Been busy as of late w the holidays; hope to get back on the forum wagon soon after the festivities.
12-25-2020, 01:51 PM - 4 Likes   #8424
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Merry Christmas!
I've been rediscovering my M35-70/2.8-3.5 lately. Here's a shot taken a few days ago on K5:
12-28-2020, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #8425
Pentaxian

M 50/1.4, shot at 1.4. 60s exposure with an nd filter
12-31-2020, 04:12 AM - 9 Likes   #8426
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Few from December Single In Challenge with M50/1.7. I went with familiar lens to test new software upgrades. Finally got a version of Capture One with support for K1ii and its PEF files. Huge upgrade to high ISO and slightly better base ISO. Files need a lot less handling to come out as I want them and colors are better.

wide open

f2

f4

01-01-2021, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #8427
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the park with a newly-acquired M28/2.8 on *ist D:
01-01-2021, 12:50 PM   #8428
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
At the park with a newly-acquired M28/2.8 on *ist D:
What's with the green and brown areas? I look out the window and the only colour I see is white!
01-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #8429
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
What's with the green and brown areas? I look out the window and the only colour I see is white!
Um, well I did see some some white, wispy clouds! Happy New Year Albert.
01-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #8430
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Um, well I did see some some white, wispy clouds! Happy New Year Albert.
And a Happy New Year 2021 to you and yours, Paul.