Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8834 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2021, 06:10 PM   #8551

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Phyllis Quote
I’ll have to break out my M lenses after the flowers bloom and add some pics too. Reading about this thread and seeing new posts with pics is very enjoyable.
Looking forward to it.

04-19-2021, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #8552
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mbceft Quote
Painting with the M28 f/2.8
That's a great image, painterly indeed.
04-19-2021, 11:27 AM - 3 Likes   #8553
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I need to find time to shoot with M's. I haven't really even touched them this year. Modern wonders have took my time. Mainly DFA*85 which is quite a lot bigger than compact M85:

04-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #8554

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I need to find time to shoot with M's. I haven't really even touched them this year. Modern wonders have took my time. Mainly DFA*85 which is quite a lot bigger than compact M85:
Wow, that is a great comparison in size. The DFA*85 lens is a fantastic piece of glass but looking at them side by side allows me to appreciate what my M85 can do for it’s size.

Thanks for sharing.

04-19-2021, 12:39 PM - 7 Likes   #8555
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, that is a great comparison in size. The DFA*85 lens is a fantastic piece of glass but looking at them side by side allows me to appreciate what my M85 can do for it’s size.

Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, M85 still offers a lot to love and there's a price on DFA* and it's not just the big price tag on it. I think DFA* is even heavier than it looks. Really solid piece of glass. I need to readjust my camera bag or get a bigger one. I feel the need to upgrade camera when K1iii is released as DFA* would love eye AF. The step from Good to perfect is pretty big and stopped down the difference between M and DFA* ain't that big in typically used viewing sizes. Wide open you see what you pay for.

I still don't know if I will carry that big lens on travel or do I rely on compact M85. Remains to be seen.

F8:

F2:

As you can see in internet size M85 holds up pretty well. Of course one can pixel peep DFA* shots at 200% and it still looks good, but that's not really how one is supposed to enjoy photography
04-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #8556

Yeah, M85 still offers a lot to love and there's a price on DFA* and it's not just the big price tag on it. I think DFA* is even heavier than it looks. Really solid piece of glass. I need to readjust my camera bag or get a bigger one. I feel the need to upgrade camera when K1iii is released as DFA* would love eye AF. The step from Good to perfect is pretty big and stopped down the difference between M and DFA* ain't that big in typically used viewing sizes. Wide open you see what you pay for.

I still don't know if I will carry that big lens on travel or do I rely on compact M85. Remains to be seen.

F8:

F2:

As you can see in internet size M85 holds up pretty well. Of course one can pixel peep DFA* shots at 200% and it still looks good, but that's not really how one is supposed to enjoy photography
Great photos and thanks for the insight. I think the DFA* is more than I would want to carry around but thats a personal choice. YMMV It's nice to have the choice :-)
04-19-2021, 10:46 PM   #8557
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Great photos and thanks for the insight. I think the DFA* is more than I would want to carry around but thats a personal choice. YMMV It's nice to have the choice :-)
Indeed. If weight of the gear is an issue, then DFA* ain't the choice. And one needs to go FF to get the benefits from the lens and to have solid enough camera to attach it to. On K1ii the lens balance nicely, but on K3 it was so nose heavy, that it wasn't fun to handle.

04-19-2021, 11:38 PM   #8558
Pentaxian

Ha, I was already wondering where you'd been. I always liked you single in challenges and the resulting lens reviews. The comparison is indeed impressive, but the images you take with the lenses are even better. Thanks for sharing.
04-20-2021, 12:10 AM   #8559
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Ha, I was already wondering where you'd been. I always liked you single in challenges and the resulting lens reviews. The comparison is indeed impressive, but the images you take with the lenses are even better. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. Since I finished my FF round of M primes in SIC, I've been thru my other lenses in SIC. So I've been going on as usual, as typically I mainly shoot with only that one lens thru the month and therefore haven't had anything to post here. I've been missing this thread thought and felt a little guilty for my lack of participation
04-21-2021, 12:29 AM   #8560
Pentaxian

Thanks. Since I finished my FF round of M primes in SIC, I've been thru my other lenses in SIC. So I've been going on as usual, as typically I mainly shoot with only that one lens thru the month and therefore haven't had anything to post here. I've been missing this thread thought and felt a little guilty for my lack of participation
No need for feeling guilty (I haven's shot my M-series as much as I would like to), just glad to see you back.
04-21-2021, 12:59 AM   #8561
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

No need for feeling guilty (I haven's shot my M-series as much as I would like to), just glad to see you back.
Never left. I've been following thread all the time and shooting daily. Now with the raffle I just need to post despite lack of new material. I'm sure I have plenty of old material I could post, but can't remember what I have already posted and what not. Probably noone else remembers either...
04-21-2021, 04:15 AM - 4 Likes   #8562
Pentaxian

A Brenizer method image from the M 85mm f/2. Cross-posted to the Brenizer thread.

If the blossom is still there and I have time I might try this one again, getting a bit closer to get a stronger effect.

Blossom Brenizer
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
04-21-2021, 11:38 PM   #8563
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A Brenizer method image from the M 85mm f/2. Cross-posted to the Brenizer thread.

If the blossom is still there and I have time I might try this one again, getting a bit closer to get a stronger effect.

Blossom Brenizer
Well, the Brenizer effect works nicely in this one. I still need to give that a go and actually make it work.
04-22-2021, 12:43 AM - 6 Likes   #8564
Pentaxian

Well, the Brenizer effect works nicely in this one. I still need to give that a go and actually make it work.
Thanks. I think the chances of being able to re-do it are minimal as the weather is terrible now and will likely remain so for a few days. The rain will knock all that lovely blossom off the tree.

Here's another, single shot this time, with the 85/2.

IMG_4938
04-22-2021, 12:50 AM   #8565
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Thanks. I think the chances of being able to re-do it are minimal as the weather is terrible now and will likely remain so for a few days. The rain will knock all that lovely blossom off the tree.

Here's another, single shot this time, with the 85/2.

IMG_4938
I found this to be more interesting and less obvious composition of the two. The apartment block on the background add one layer more to compostion and fills that top corner. Very good shot.