Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2021, 11:56 PM   #8836
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
This photo taken with the M 85mm f/2 seems to be garnering far more favourites on Flickr than I usually get. It's certainly not one of my favourites that I took with that lens that day.

The Lego building
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Well, I like it for being nicely colourful

11-04-2021, 02:01 AM   #8837
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This photo taken with the M 85mm f/2 seems to be garnering far more favourites on Flickr than I usually get. It's certainly not one of my favourites that I took with that lens that day.

The Lego building
Colourful repeating shapes, easy sense of viewing relaxation, I get why it's been popular 🙂, never professed to have much taste 😉
11-04-2021, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #8838
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Few frames more from my october with M75-150:

11-04-2021, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #8839
Pentaxian

M 150 3.5

I took it out for a spin yesterday around the house (I have a sore throat and the weather is getting colder so I shouldn't even be getting out much...)

Even on APS-C, I don't think it's a very good lens. And it just came back from cleaning/CLA.

Wide open it's pretty soft even on the 10MP K200D. It also has very low contrast so it's a hard lens to focus.

At f5.6 and f8 it's pretty sharp in the center but not so much in the extreme corners. In the edges you also get purple fringing even at f8.
Even at f8 the contrast is still kind of low, making it a bit uninspiring to use.

Bokeh is generally pretty nice but other than that, the lens doesn't really make much sense to me....

11-04-2021, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #8840
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
M 150 3.5

I took it out for a spin yesterday around the house (I have a sore throat and the weather is getting colder so I shouldn't even be getting out much...)

Even on APS-C, I don't think it's a very good lens. And it just came back from cleaning/CLA.

Wide open it's pretty soft even on the 10MP K200D. It also has very low contrast so it's a hard lens to focus.

At f5.6 and f8 it's pretty sharp in the center but not so much in the extreme corners. In the edges you also get purple fringing even at f8.
Even at f8 the contrast is still kind of low, making it a bit uninspiring to use.

Bokeh is generally pretty nice but other than that, the lens doesn't really make much sense to me....
Interesting. From my selection I ranked M150 as second best tele lens. Right behind M120 with a small margin. I needed to shoot both lenses for a month in Single In Challenge first with APSC and then with K1ii before I could make up my mind. One of the things I liked was that it was sharp from wide open. Also, with my lens, the corners are fine even wide open on FF.

There seems to be quite a lot sample variation. Personally I suspect my copy of M100/2.8 to be a weak lens, as it's like the worst tele I have and yet it often gets praised. And then there's the recent bafflement over M/F50/1,7 wide open performance.

Sample shots from my FF SIC month with M150:

11-04-2021, 04:42 PM   #8841
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Interesting. From my selection I ranked M150 as second best tele lens. Right behind M120 with a small margin. I needed to shoot both lenses for a month in Single In Challenge first with APSC and then with K1ii before I could make up my mind. One of the things I liked was that it was sharp from wide open. Also, with my lens, the corners are fine even wide open on FF.

There seems to be quite a lot sample variation. Personally I suspect my copy of M100/2.8 to be a weak lens, as it's like the worst tele I have and yet it often gets praised. And then there's the recent bafflement over M/F50/1,7 wide open performance.

Sample shots from my FF SIC month with M150:

I guess I have to go out a couple more times with mine. But I know that wide open, it's nowhere near my M 100 2.8 which is my basketball lens because I leave the camera on Av and just shoot wide open all day long. Nice and sharp pictures, easy to focus because it's also got good contrast.

I took the same rose growth with the M 100 2.8:
11-04-2021, 11:40 PM   #8842
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I have to go out a couple more times with mine. But I know that wide open, it's nowhere near my M 100 2.8 which is my basketball lens because I leave the camera on Av and just shoot wide open all day long. Nice and sharp pictures, easy to focus because it's also got good contrast.
Two months of SIC didn't make my M100/2.8 any sharper. I'd almost claim yours is sharper wide open than my copy at f8.

11-05-2021, 02:04 AM - 2 Likes   #8843
Pentaxian

These are both from the M 85mm f/2. The one of the bee is cropped to around 50% of the frame if memory serves. I had to shoot quite a few to try to ensure I got some correctly focused.

Leaf

Bee II
11-05-2021, 03:42 AM   #8844
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

That leaf is a beauty. Very smooth transition.
11-05-2021, 06:09 AM   #8845
Pentaxian

Two months of SIC didn't make my M100/2.8 any sharper. I'd almost claim yours is sharper wide open than my copy at f8.
Looking at the file in Rawtherapee, the in-focus part of the M 100 2.8 picture is just pin-sharp. While the M 150 3.5 is meh (and I have a lot more that I took with the M 150 3.5 to confirm that it's not all that sharp). The M 200 f4 is about as sharp wide open as the M 150 3.5 and that's a notoriously weak lens wide open. But the 200 has nice colors and contrast and the 150 never gets to that point.

I didn't think there were that much copy variations in these older series. I had two M 50 1.7 that were identical in performance - both sharper than my A 50 1.7 and F 50 1.7 wide open.

But I've also had an A 135 2.8 that wasn't a stellar performer. Lots of halo effect in strong contrast, and never got as sharp as my A 70-210 f4 at any aperture. I've also recently bought the A 50 f2.8 Macro and I sent it back for slow aperture blades (it was sold as fully working) - but in addition to that it also wasn't a good performer, I was expecting more from that lens but I probably just didn't have a good copy optically-wise.
11-05-2021, 06:30 AM   #8846
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at the file in Rawtherapee, the in-focus part of the M 100 2.8 picture is just pin-sharp. While the M 150 3.5 is meh (and I have a lot more that I took with the M 150 3.5 to confirm that it's not all that sharp).
I have the exact opposite. And I still remember the confusion I caused when I complained that M100/2.8 is not sharp enough

So pretty much all other primes should be sharp stopped down except M200. M40 & M135 just not quite as sharp as the others, but still clearly usable. If not send back as bad copy try to find a better lens.
11-05-2021, 06:38 AM   #8847
Pentaxian

These are both from the M 85mm f/2. The one of the bee is cropped to around 50% of the frame if memory serves. I had to shoot quite a few to try to ensure I got some correctly focused.

Leaf

Bee II
That is one lens that constantly wows me when I see pictures from it. I know there's probably some copy variation as I hear reports that it's not bad wide open, and other say it's just horrible. But the colors and rendering are wonderful and I yearn to see what I could do with it on my CCD bodies.

But alas, it's still priced way way too high, and some of the cheaper copies I see (meaning under 200 dollars...) have haze and/or fungus. It's hard to come by in the US and the Japan sellers that have copies in excellent conditions are sometimes asking over 500 dollars for them. Not sure if anyone is paying that but that's what they are asking...

But I can't complain. My K 50 1.2 and M 100 2.8 which were basically free*, perform superbly even wide open. They seem to be very good copies, and they just got cleaned and CLA'd by Eric Hendrickson (as did the M 150 3.5) so they should be good to go for a long time now.

( * I bought a broken Pentax LX locally off facebook, which had 6 lenses, for 100 dollars. Sold the LX here for parts, for 100 dollars including one of the lenses which had balsam separation, for 100 dollars. So what I kept was free... which was the K 50 1.2, M 100 2.8, M 150 3.5, M 200 f4 and the M 50 f4 Macro which I gave away recently here in the forums, as it also had fungus )
11-05-2021, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #8848
Pentaxian

I have the exact opposite. And I still remember the confusion I caused when I complained that M100/2.8 is not sharp enough

So pretty much all other primes should be sharp stopped down except M200. M40 & M135 just not quite as sharp as the others, but still clearly usable. If not send back as bad copy try to find a better lens.
I know of people here in the forums who have an M 135 3.5 that is very sharp wide open.

Not so sure about the M 40, I think that one might be a bit soft wide open but once you stop down it's pretty sharp. I guess it's more of an "f8 and be there" lens.
11-06-2021, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #8849
Pentaxian

That leaf is a beauty. Very smooth transition.
I agree completely, thanks for sharing that lovely image.

---------- Post added 11-06-21 at 02:15 AM ----------

I know of people here in the forums who have an M 135 3.5 that is very sharp wide open.
To be honest, I was never blown away by my copy of the M135/3.5, even stopped down significantly. 'meh' is what In would describe it as well, so we parted ways and she now lives elsewhere.
11-06-2021, 03:26 AM   #8850
Pentaxian

The Lego building
What type of building is it? The small amount of windows makes me worried.