Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8850 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #961
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
JSherman999:Lately he's been trying to
put the camera strap around his head and look through the viewfinder, although
he doesn't really 'get' where the viewfinder is, so I usually put it in live-view for
him. But then he just puts the LCD right up to his eye, because that's what he
thinks he sees me doing.

You have the wonderful opportunity to watch your son grow into photography--keep capturing the precious moments. You do realize it will not be long before he is showing you how to work the new technology.

08-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #962
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I got the SMC Pentax-M 85mm f/2 in a mint condition, with original caps and case, for a price I'm ashamed to tell. It even came with a minty Pentax MX...

It does exhibit some severe PF when using in contrasty situations, but for more typical scenes (portraits in shaded light) it really excels.

08-24-2009, 04:38 AM   #963
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I got the SMC Pentax-M 85mm f/2 in a mint condition, with original caps and case, for a price I'm ashamed to tell. It even came with a minty Pentax MX...

It does exhibit some severe PF when using in contrasty situations, but for more typical scenes (portraits in shaded light) it really excels.
It certainly does excel. Well done Peter.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-24-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo
08-24-2009, 06:46 AM   #964
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote

Peter, congrats!!! My favorite M.

Yes, it has a god deal of blue/purple fringing wide-open, but that's the flaw in the diamond. You got lucky if you got it for less than $250, IMO.

08-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #965
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Yes, it has a god deal of blue/purple fringing wide-open, but that's the flaw in the diamond. You got lucky if you got it for less than $250, IMO.
Well, I got it for less than half of that, so I'm happy

I must admit that I'm a little spoiled because I not only have the M85/2, but also the SMCT85/1.8, ST85/1.9, FA77/1.8, CZJ80/1.8 and the pre-war Hugo Meyer 7,5cm f/1.9. But the M85/2 definitely has its own place and character!
08-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #966
Veteran Member

M 400/5.6

The 400 is getting to be my walk around lens. Caught a House Finch hovering today. They actually hover quite well.

and a Lilly (I think) of some sort.

Cheers

Tom G
08-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #967
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plains Bison - Elk Island National Park - Canada

My wife, my daughter, my son in law and I were walking the Lake Shore Trail at Elk Island, expecting to see some birds. I was rigged with the K10 + FA 1.7X AF + M 400/5.6, my daugher was sporting her new K200 with my A 70-210/4 on it, and my wife was expecting scenics with the MZ-S and FA 24-90/.

We met this handsome specimen on the trail. We did not complete the walk as he was coming our way. I was having quite a bit of difficulty moving backwards with only a walking stick monopod for lens support on the shady trail. August and September are the rutting season for bison here. It is not recommended to be closer than 100 meters (330 feet) to the bison. When we met him coming around a corner he was maybe 70 meters away. He weighs nearly a ton (900 kg) and stands about 6 feet (1.8m) at the shoulder.

This head shot was taken with the 1.7X on the lens. The light was from behind the bison, and I was probably about 40m from him. He just kept on walking in my direction. This shot is not cropped. f/11 (f/18.7 effective) at 1/60, ISO 400.

This full shot was taken after he took a drink from the lake. 1/500, f/8, ISO 400. He is not threatening, just turning after taking his drink, despite the appearance of an "evil eye".

08-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #968
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Canada_Rockies:We met this handsome specimen on the trail. We did not complete the walk as he was coming our way. I was having quite a bit of difficulty moving backwards with only a walking stick monopod for lens support on the shady trail. August and September are the rutting season for bison here. It is not recommended to be closer than 100 meters (330 feet) to the bison. When we met him coming around a corner he was maybe 70 meters away. He weighs nearly a ton (900 kg) and stands about 6 feet (1.8m) at the shoulder.
I have not been lucky enough to be near one of these monsters and I'm not sure I want to be during the rut season. I have bumped into bull and cow moose during the rut: perhaps the most frightening hiking encounter of my life--only a few feet a way & bull showed panic signs. Fulll grown bulls can go well over a thousand pounds. So I have some empathy for your encounter and understand why your walking plans changed. Thanks for the cool shots
08-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #969

A man was gored to death in Southern Alberta On August 1st. Be careful ou there.

Goring death raises questions about Alberta's bison
08-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #970
Forum Member

The 50mm 1.7 again...
around f2.8 I believe.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
08-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #971
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rockdoctor Quote
A man was gored to death in Southern Alberta On August 1st. Be careful ou there.

Goring death raises questions about Alberta's bison
It is absolutely important to pay attention to animals when photographing them. It is essential to know how to read the animal's behaviour. It is essential to always give the animal the impression that he/she is in charge, and you are yielding to him/her.

I was retreating slowly and paying strict attention to his actions. His tail was swatting flies, not lifted at any time. No head movement other than the odd fast shake to move insects away. No change of pace during the entire period. I was never closer than the distance when he first met us. I was gradually increasing the distance.

Note the head shot was taken with 680mm of lens. The article mentions that the victim was 5 meters (16+ feet) from the bison, and approached from the rear. Surprising any wild animal is not a good idea.
08-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #972
Veteran Member

Looks like you had a great time Albert.

Tom G
08-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #973

Got a 50mm f.17 for about 30GBP and sware by it... I may be quite new to slr photography, but considering my budget Pentax lens backwards compatibility is a godsend.

A couple of recent photos taken with it...

08-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #974
Veteran Member

I clicked through the first 10 pages of this thread and had no choice but to join the forums in order to say that these photos are amazing. Of course, that wasn't the only reason I joined...my first post (awaiting mod approval) is over in the Beginner's Corner, asking how on earth do you all get such bright bold crisp colors like this??? I have a K200D and sure hope that it's just some form of user deficiency, rather than equipment.
08-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #975

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

I'm still hunting for one of these 85mm. Awesome shot Peter.