Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #1096
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
Are there any problems with using M lenses with the K-7 - a poster within an Australian Forum is experiencing problems with a 50 1.4 remaining wide open despite manually shutting the aperture down.

I do not own a K-7 so cannot use my own experiences.
Does the poster perhaps use any mode other than Manual? The lens will only stop down in M - Av is always wide open, and all automatic modes revert to Av on the modern SLRs with K, M, or M42 lenses. (Digital or film). On my film cameras, the M lens does stop down in Av, but not on the K10, or K20, and I would bet that the K7 is the same.

10-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #1097
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Very rarely do I notice it, but when it does happen noticeably it irks the crap out of me..... Anyone experience the same problems? Im thinking that if I switch to a pro account it will be better.

I have a flickr pro account - all images you see from me in this forum are linked from it, I think it's pretty good & haven't noticed anything odd like that.

I'm wondering - do you upload the full-sized images, or do you do some downsizing, and then upload? If you get a flickr pro account, don't bother downsizing, just upload the full-sized file, and then link in the 'large' image they present - their downsizing looks great, in fact I'd rather view the images up on flickr in my browser than the picasa viewer on my laptop

M 20 f/4, shots from last winter:

10-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #1098
Veteran Member

Very rarely do I notice it, but when it does happen noticeably it irks the crap out of me..... Anyone experience the same problems? Im thinking that if I switch to a pro account it will be better.
If the picture you upload is larger than the size you intend to post, Flickr will have to resize it to produce the desired size. And with the resizing can come artifacts. That shouldn't create color differences, but other things can - see various other threads in the PP forum on that. Mostly issues of color space / color profiles / color management in the software you are using to process and view your pictures, not anything to do with Flickr per se.
10-23-2009, 11:40 PM   #1099
Veteran Member

I uploaded the images from the camera to my laptop, and right after that I threw them in flickr. No altering of the images was done in between.

On another note, great shots!

This is under "large" in flickr (the biggest size you have access to in flickr without a pro account). I usually just post the medium size because it is easier to see.

This was shot wide open if I remember correctly

10-24-2009, 03:58 AM   #1100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
Are there any problems with using M lenses with the K-7 - a poster within an Australian Forum is experiencing problems with a 50 1.4 remaining wide open despite manually shutting the aperture down.

I do not own a K-7 so cannot use my own experiences.
I have the k10d and in order to get m-lenses to work I had to enable "use aperture ring" in the settings. Perhaps it's the same for the K7 ?

Kind regards
.lars
10-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #1101
Veteran Member

I uploaded the images from the camera to my laptop, and right after that I threw them in flickr. No altering of the images was done in between.
OK, so Flickr's own resizing was the only *modification* done to the file. but hat program were you using when you viewed them before uploading, and was it the same program you used to view the file after uploading to Flickr? It's differences in the *viewing* programs' coor management I was primarily referring to. Did you examine the image with the same web browser before and after uploading? If so, maybe you could post screen shot showing two browser windows open - one opened to the file on your computer, one opened to the file on Flickr, to show the differences you are seeing.

Also if you shoot aRGB rather than sRGB, you have to realize that aRGB won't be understood correctly by most web browsers.
10-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #1102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
OK, so Flickr's own resizing was the only *modification* done to the file. but hat program were you using when you viewed them before uploading, and was it the same program you used to view the file after uploading to Flickr? It's differences in the *viewing* programs' coor management I was primarily referring to. Did you examine the image with the same web browser before and after uploading? If so, maybe you could post screen shot showing two browser windows open - one opened to the file on your computer, one opened to the file on Flickr, to show the differences you are seeing.

Also if you shoot aRGB rather than sRGB, you have to realize that aRGB won't be understood correctly by most web browsers.
Im using windows picture viewer to compare images. Its the only picture viewer on this computer. (opening the image in gimp shows the same thing)
Yes same web browser (google chrome).

Im not sure how to take a "screen shot" but I will try. As for aRGB/sRGB, well tbh I have no idea what either mean :P So whatever is default is what I must be using.

10-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #1103
Forum Member

M 50mm 1.7

I like this shoot!!!

Old Car!!

Ferrari California Close up!

10-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #1104
Pentaxian

I shot this earlier today at the Head of the Fish Regatta on Fish Creek, Saratoga Springs,NY. It was pouring rain and I was hanging out under the bridge near the start line. I was using the M 135/3.5. I was panning and shooting at 1/45 at 800 ISO as it was quite dark.

Last edited by reeftool; 12-24-2009 at 08:02 AM.
10-24-2009, 11:09 PM   #1105
Veteran Member

Im using windows picture viewer to compare images. Its the only picture viewer on this computer.
So you mean you're viewing the image using the windows viewer, then uploading it to Flickr, then downloading it again, and viewing the downloaded version the windows viewer too, and it looks different? or do you mean you re viewing the image in the wondows viewer before uploading, and comapring that to how the image actually looks on Flickr when viewing it in Google Chome? If the latter, that's probably the issue right there - you're using different programs to view the image (windows viewer pre upload, chrome post).

This, BTW, is way off-topic, so you might consider posting a separate thread about this (probably in either the beginners or post processing forum).
10-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #1106
Veteran Member

It occurs to me that many of the images I've posted here might not seem like particularly great examples of what a lens can do, as most of my concert photos are poorly lit, high ISO shots with shutter speeds not *quite* fast enough to completely eliminate subject motion. On the other hand, the fact that one can get usable pictures at all in such circumstances is testament to the value of these lenses. That is, if it weren't for cheap manual focus primes like the M series (and the fact that SR works with all of them!), I quite simply wouldn't be getting the shots I do. And their compact build and light weight just makes them a joy to shoot and to carry when not shooting.

So, here are a couple more pictures, courtesy of one of the humblest of the M's: the M135/3.5. What other lens that one can find for $50 in almost any pawn shop, measuring smaller than the kit lens and weighing only barely more, would let one take shots like these? All wide open with the K200D at ISO 1600 (although with various levels of push processing - the bassist and drummer were pushed beyond the equivalent of ISO 3200).

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 10-25-2009 at 10:02 AM.
10-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #1107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It occurs to me that many of the images I've posted here might not seem like particularly great examples of what a lens can do, as most of my concert photos are poorly lit, high ISO shots with shutter speeds not *quite* fast enough to completely eliminate subject motion. On the other hand, the fact that one can get usable pictures at all in such circumstances is testament to the value of these lenses. That is, if it weren't for cheap manual focus primes like the M series (and the fact that SR works with all of them!), I quite simply wouldn't be getting the shots I do. And their compact build and light weight just makes them a joy to shoot and to carry when not shooting.

I think most people understand how difficult it is Marc.

Shooting concerts is a new territory for me, but I will get the chance to practice quite often this winter (my wife plays baritone in a local brass band).

Two days ago a world class classical guitarist (Göran Söllscher) held a concert 30 minutes from where I live. I didn't bring along my camera because I was sure it was forbidden to take photos, but guess what: the concert hall had only 60 seats and there was no restriction for photography except from the use of flash. I can't believe I missed this golden opportunity .....but I enjoyed the music anyway.

Kind regards
.lars
10-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #1108
Veteran Member

M 400/5.6

Out for a walk with the M 400/5.6 today. This heron dropped by long enough to get himself shot.

All shots from about 150 feet.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 10-25-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typo
10-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #1109
Pentaxian

My 135/3.5 was the only lens I had that would work under the bridge. I tried using the kit lens and the Sigma 70-300 and couldn't get either to autofocus in the poor light. The 135 is very bright in the viewfinder and much easier to focus manually. I don't use it as often as I should. I picked mine up for 40 bucks on Ebay. This is another shot in slightly better light at ISO 400. The SR came through nicely at 1/30. Motion blur is noticeable if I try to crop but usable as shot. I didn't notice the slow shutter speed at first as I took a quick look at the shots on the LCD and they didn't look bad. I had hit the green button and just shot away. The aperture was wide open at f/3.5.

Last edited by reeftool; 12-24-2009 at 08:02 AM.
10-26-2009, 05:21 AM   #1110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Marc, if you took your M135/3.5 out in good light and shot it handheld at faster shutter speeds or used a tripod in lower light on subjects with less movement at low shutter speeds you wouldn't think of it as a "humble" lens. For some reason it is hard for me to handhold in marginal light but as soon as I put mine on a tripod I was blown away with the images it is capable of. It's a great lens.