Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8834 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #1171
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Yes, but alas I have uploaded my limit on flickr for this month with this test, lol. Im still deciding if I should go pro or not
$25/year = yes, IMO.

11-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #1172
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, but that $25 I could definitely use elsewhere, and this is the first in the past 6 months that I have run the limit.

Just as a reminder for you guys (since my test will get lost pretty quickly being the end of the last page) my test of the M 85mm is on page 78
11-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #1173
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, but that $25 I could definitely use elsewhere, and this is the first in the past 6 months that I have run the limit.

Just as a reminder for you guys (since my test will get lost pretty quickly being the end of the last page) my test of the M 85mm is on page 78
Oh - I did miss that! I like the sharpness it shows on the eyelashes and the bag texture. I think that bag shows a tiny bit of the 3D that comes so easily for this lens.

Enjoy!
11-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #1174
Veteran Member

I agree! I rarely do pixel peep, but eh I thought I would see what this lens is capable of. I plan on taking it out today with some friends, so I'll make sure to report back

11-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #1175
Veteran Member

BTW, another option to get more storage (besides paying for a Pro account) is to simply open accounts on other systems - photobucket & picasaweb, for instance.
11-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #1176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
BTW, another option to get more storage (besides paying for a Pro account) is to simply open accounts on other systems - photobucket & picasaweb, for instance.
Im not a fan of how photobucket compresses my images, they look terrible when I use them! Same with picasa
11-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #1177
Veteran Member

So don't let either of those services compress your images - get them below their size thresholds yourself.

11-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #1178
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Im not a fan of how photobucket compresses my images, they look terrible when I use them! Same with picasa
I don't like how picasaweb compresses my images, but I always upload the full-sized versions to flickr, and then link the 'large' image in to forums. ('large' is one size down from 'original.')

I find flickr's downsizing to actually be better than several I use on my PC, including the one picasa3 uses to present the image in the viewing pane. Every image you see from me in this forum uses this method (full-sized uploaded to flickr, link 'large' version.)

11-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #1179

hi there

maybe someone from the club could help me deciding on my new lens.
i'm between a pentax M 100mm 2.8 and the pentax K 135 2.5. which one would you pick?
what are the differences besides focal lenght and max aperture?
11-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #1180
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by giorgio Quote
hi there

maybe someone from the club could help me deciding on my new lens.
i'm between a pentax M 100mm 2.8 and the pentax K 135 2.5. which one would you pick?
what are the differences besides focal lenght and max aperture?
Hopefully you ahve consulted the Lens Review Database here. Many opinions of both lenses posted there by Forum members.

The K135/2.5 ranks as one of the several "best" MF primes produced by Pentax. It is a massively solid lens, incredibly well constucted, sharp to the point of cutting and, on film, unobtrusive but close enough to capture facial expression and details. A bit "long" on a crop sensor and of course subject to the same metering issues as any MF prime. Perhaps a TINY risk of PF in heavy-contrast shooting. Heavy. For what you get the current price is very good.

M100/2.8 is small, mobile and of course has that M lnes construction and feel. Perhaps not quite as sharp as the K135 but still an excellent performer, even wide open. Especially on an M-series film body this lens is well balanced and fun to use. Colors have a slighly cool touch that is pleasing. At around $125 mint and $100 cosmetic signs of use, this is perhaps the best value Pentax MF lens in the 100mm - 135mm class

I have owned the K135/2.5 but sold it at a compelling price. I still have the 100/2.8 (in fact I ahve two right now) and will keep one as a permanent collection lens.

Advice on which to buy is, get both and try them - sell the one you like less. There is plenty of traffic here in both lenses so you have little risk of being "stuck" with a loss if you pay the righht price on the buy side.
11-28-2009, 05:15 AM   #1181
Veteran Member

SMC Pentax M 400/5.6

I finally managed a few reasonable shots of the Downy Woodpecker that has eluded me so successfully until now. I have experienced a lot of CA/PF issues with this lens in the past. I was in the habit of using it an hour or so either side of noon and the harsh direct light at that time of day just made these issues worse. Stopping the lens down helped a bit but wasn't a great solution. I was starting to think maybe the old M 400/5.6 just wasn’t a very good lens. I’ve come to the conclusion that maybe some of my problems were just another example of a poor workman blaming his tools for bad results.

The M 400/5.6 does have CA/PF issues, as do many lenses of this vintage, but they can be reduced or minimized with better technique and better timing to some extent. I guess nature photographer John Shaw's advice "don't be late for work" still holds. The problems are still there with the early morning or later day images but don't seem to be as pronounced. I’ve used this lens a lot for the past nine months or so and it takes a while to get used to the paper-thin depth of field of the super telephoto. It puts a lot of emphasis on your manual focusing technique. The margin for error is small as you just don’t have a lot to work with here and it takes some getting used to.

So, I've come to the conclusion that early morning or later afternoon is the best time of day for this lens and most others I guess. How's that for an insight? I'm getting more consistent results and fewer CA/PF issues now. There are still a lot of CAs in the last image for instance but there are a lot more keepers now. When you know the limits of your lens you can minimize their impact on your results to some degree. There are a few other Forum members along with myself who have the cornered world's supply of this lens (Albert, Jason). Have you guys found similar issues with your copies of the M 400/5.6?

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 11-28-2009 at 07:32 AM. Reason: typo
11-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #1182
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tom:

I am yet to see a perfect lens, or perfect anything for that matter. However, your M 400 does show off many beautiful birds shots for us. Keep up the excellent work--someday I hope to get a lens as imperfect as that one. BEST!
11-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #1183
Veteran Member

Thanks Jewelltrail,

Jaysherman999 started this thread with the following statement about a year and a half ago:

“We (I myself included) tend to get caught up in all the anticipation and hype over
the newest/best/priciest glass out there and soon to be out there. I'd like to
take some time now to give a little appreciation the humble Pentax SMC-M's
- All manual, no A setting, they're not new, and they're not Super Taks - kinda the
Jan Brady of the Pentax lens lines.

But I think they're more. I think they might be Marsha.”

I’m not an apologist for the old M 400/5.6 although it may seem that way. I actually like it quite a lot as I do all my other M series lenses. In fact, I find I am using this lens (M 400/5.6) more frequently than any lens at the moment. As you note, quite rightly, no lens is perfect but the SMC-Ms are very capable optics none-the-less. Given time, practice and patience the Ms can deliver great images as may be clearly seen throughout this thread.

I was initially a bit disappointed with the M 400/5.6 as I was getting pretty poor results to start with. My technique is a little better with this lens now and I’m starting to get the sort of results I hoped for when I bought this lens. I’ve been pleasantly surprised at the amount of detail the old lens is producing. I hope to get even better results as time goes on. The Ms can be challenging, they have their limits, but they are a lot of fun as well.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 11-28-2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo
11-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #1184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
There are a few other Forum members along with myself who have the cornered world's supply of this lens (Albert, Jason). Have you guys found similar issues with your copies of the M 400/5.6?
Hey Tom,

Yes I have, pretty much the same issues. It seems that under the right conditions I can get a full spectrum of CA - purple, red, green and sometimes blue!
Which initially made me think the lens was a bit disappointing (on digital); however then I would go out in different light conditions and wouldn't find a hint of CA...

I really like the lens too, the fun factor is really there. The more I think about it, the conditions where I have encountered the most CA issues was in very high contrast and glare conditions - for example birds flying over water in sunny afternoons with very harsh reflections. Conditions that would probably challenge most lenses!

I'll have more pics taken with my M400 online over the weekend... Got some I'm happy with

cheers,
11-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #1185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Tom/Jason:

Have you tried your M400 on one of your film cameras? I have the K400 and I believe it has the same optical formula, but with a manual diaphragm. I haven’t had any CA/PF issues on film, even in the mid day sun shooting over water. Just wondering if it’s a digital issue more than the lens?

Phil.

PS Nice woodpecker shot!