Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 01:47 AM   #1186
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Phil,

Unfortunately I haven't been able to use it on film yet. My ME Super has a shutter issue, which came about just before I got the '400. Will hopefully have something to test it on soon.
I wouldn't be overly surprised if it was a digital issue, I think it would be to some degree anyway.

cheers

11-29-2009, 04:08 AM   #1187
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Phil, Jason,

I have little doubt that there is something to the "digital issue" suggestion Phil made. I took a look at the Chromatic aberation article in Wikipedia which suggests:

"On photographs taken using a digital camera, very small highlights may frequently appear to have chromatic aberration where in fact the effect is because the highlight image is too small to stimulate all three color pixels, and so is recorded with an incorrect color."

That said, the neither the K or M 400/5.6 enjoy the benefits of low dispersion ED glass which helps focus all colours at the same point. That of course is the reason reason modern lenses employ this sort of glass. It is also one of the reasons modern super telephotos cost so much more. I'm not surprised Jason has experienced the same sort of problems I did with his lens.

I haven't tried the M 400/5.6 on film as I just don't shoot much film any more. I suspect the CA/PF would still be present but probably not as pronounced. In any case the CA/PF problems appear to be diminished a lot by shooting earlier or later in the day. These are the traditional "magic hours" when the light is always most pleasing so shooting at this time is not really a major limitation. Good to know and one of the reasons we participate in this forum.

So Jason, I guess if we use the old M 400/5.6 during these prime time hours it won't be long before we start filling the pages of National Geographic with great shots. If not who cares? The lens is still a lot of fun. We can make too much of the shortcomings of the old Tak, K, M and A series lenses. Every lens has its issues and in the right hands is capable of great results.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 11-29-2009 at 05:43 AM. Reason: typo
11-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #1188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Thanks Phil, Jason,
So Jason, I guess if we use the old M 400/5.6 during these prime time hours it won't be long before we start filling the pages of National Geographic with great shots. If not who cares? The lens is still a lot of fun. We can make too much of the shortcomings of the old Tak, K, M and A series lenses. Every lens has its issues and in the right hands is capable of great results.
Tom G
Something good to aim for at least
Here's a couple of shots I took on the weekend. Unfortunately couldn't get close enough, so these are cropped a lot.

Australian Ring Neck (click for larger)

11-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #1189
Veteran Member

And here's a shot of a similar bird, the Rainbow Lorikeet.
Once again I couldn't get close enough! So it's a fair crop.

Tom - All 3 photos were taken in fairly soft late afternoon light @ ISO400.
Not a CA to be seen... at least as far as I have cared to look.

cheers,

11-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #1190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

M 400 f/5.6 continued

To continue the M 400/5.6 CA/PF thread, I also have had issues with the CA generated by this old beauty. However, I do think that when we start pixel peeping we see more than we ever noticed with film. When I got this lens, back in the early 1980's, I was a film shooter with an SF-1. Rarely did I notice fringing.

One of the first images I took with the 400 on my k10d was of a female mule deer over my back fence. She was just laying on a patch of snow chewing her cud. When I first opened the image on my PC all I could see was the red fringe. It was horrible! I was really disappointed with the performance. However, her pose was so good that I decided to print an 8x10 anyway.

I found that at 8x10, nobody notices the fringe. As a matter of fact I just took a close look at the print, which is still hanging on my wall two years later, and the fringe is very difficult to see in the print, even using my strongest closeup device, a Pentax 5.5x loupe. It just looks like a trick of the light, which I guess it is.

I took a series of a great blue heron as he walked across a weed patch this past summer, and the best images are ones where the heron's head is not backed by water, but the tall grass.

It is operator error when I screw up the image, not a problem with the lens itself. It's like my 44 years plus marriage. You have to learn the proper handling techniques. "Yes, dear" is a very valuable phrase to learn early on. When "M" says "I don't like back lighting", I have learned to say "Yes, dear" and take my shots when the subject is not back lit.
11-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #1191
Veteran Member

Great stuff Jason,
You have a lot more colourful birds to shoot than we have in S. Ontario. The only thing left is getting close.
QuoteQuote:
You have to learn the proper handling techniques. "Yes, dear" is a very valuable phrase to learn early on. When "M" says "I don't like back lighting", I have learned to say "Yes, dear" and take my shots when the subject is not back lit.
Albert,
You are a wise man in many ways.
Tom G
11-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #1192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That’s what I figured, these old 400mm lens were optically designed to work with the camera bodies of the day. (Which they do quite well.) Even though the old lenses work on a digital body they are obviously not coated they way the new Penatx lenses are, so these CA issues are more pronounced.

Phil.

11-30-2009, 05:30 AM   #1193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
To continue the M 400/5.6 CA/PF thread, I also have had issues with the CA generated by this old beauty. However, I do think that when we start pixel peeping we see more than we ever noticed with film. When I got this lens, back in the early 1980's, I was a film shooter with an SF-1. Rarely did I notice fringing.
One of the first images I took with the 400 on my k10d was of a female mule deer over my back fence. She was just laying on a patch of snow chewing her cud. When I first opened the image on my PC all I could see was the red fringe. It was horrible! I was really disappointed with the performance. However, her pose was so good that I decided to print an 8x10 anyway.
I found that at 8x10, nobody notices the fringe. As a matter of fact I just took a close look at the print, which is still hanging on my wall two years later, and the fringe is very difficult to see in the print, even using my strongest closeup device, a Pentax 5.5x loupe. It just looks like a trick of the light, which I guess it is.
I took a series of a great blue heron as he walked across a weed patch this past summer, and the best images are ones where the heron's head is not backed by water, but the tall grass.
It is operator error when I screw up the image, not a problem with the lens itself. It's like my 44 years plus marriage. You have to learn the proper handling techniques. "Yes, dear" is a very valuable phrase to learn early on. When "M" says "I don't like back lighting", I have learned to say "Yes, dear" and take my shots when the subject is not back lit.
Albert, IMO that's very well said.
I was thinking recently that the apparent CA would be quite hard to notice in prints, and I guess you have just proven that. I am yet to print anything larger than 8X10 either.
Tom, thanks.
Definately need to get closer, but those parrots wouldn't have a bar of it! I did however manage to get very close to a Tawny Frogmouth later on that day.
Yes we do seem to have a lot of birds, and some very colourful ones at that. It does seem that the more colourful they are, the noisier...
Wish I had more time to get out there
12-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #1194
Veteran Member

Here is a simple moon shot taken with the M400:

Cropped a fair bit of course. Love the detail this lens can get.
Recently I got an old Kenko 2x TC, will try that out for another moon shot and compare to this one.

cheers,
12-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #1195

Wow the detail of that moon shot is amazing.
12-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #1196
Veteran Member

Thanks, I had another go at shooting the moon tonight, couldn't get the same results however
12-03-2009, 05:10 AM   #1197

My M 50mm /1.7 observing its new master.

12-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #1198
Veteran Member

smc-m 85mm F2

First test with my new 85mm F2, ISO 400, F2.8, various shutter speeds.

Kind regards
.lars
12-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #1199
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Recercare Quote
First test with my new 85mm F2, ISO 400, F2.8, various shutter speeds.

Kind regards
.lars

WOW. Lars, you & that lens are going to do great things together.

12-05-2009, 01:42 AM   #1200
Inactive Account

Amazing .lars, congrats!