Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #1321
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
wow those portraits shots are amazing yeatzee!
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Lovely colourful shots yeatzee!
Thanks guys

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Yeatzee, I think you get it! Nice to have another M 85 f2 shooter among us, there are not many. This shot above in particular rocks.
Im just glad I could be part of us lucky owners of the M85mm. My most expensive lens I've ever purchased was the sigma 105mm which cost me $380. This M 85mm cost me in the $200's, which is substantial for me being 15 and spending that kind of cash on such an old lens. Looking back, it was one of my best purchases despite its price

quick question for you Jsherman, when shooting your M lenses (to keep it relevant to this thread) do you use a OME53 or similar device? Im trying to decide whether it will honestly help my MF skills or if they are a waste of cash. And while im posting, I'd love to see some recent shots with your M 85mm

02-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #1322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote

...quick question for you Jsherman, when shooting your M lenses (to keep it relevant to this thread) do you use a OME53 or similar device? Im trying to decide whether it will honestly help my MF skills or if they are a waste of cash. And while im posting, I'd love to see some recent shots with your M 85mm
That's a good question. I know Albert (Canada_Rockies) seems to recommend the magnifying eyepiece for MF work. I just ordered one last night with some other stuff, so I'll try and post up my first impressions when I've had a go at it.

cheers
02-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #1323
Veteran Member

Hi I have my Pentax M 50mm f2 here. Smile. It is sharpness but most shallow DOF.
02-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #1324
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks guys

Im just glad I could be part of us lucky owners of the M85mm. My most expensive lens I've ever purchased was the sigma 105mm which cost me $380. This M 85mm cost me in the $200's, which is substantial for me being 15 and spending that kind of cash on such an old lens. Looking back, it was one of my best purchases despite its price

I'd say it's a substantial purchase! You're going to hit 20 with more MF skills than a lot of folks 2 & 3 times your age who grew up in the MF film era. Something to be proud of.

QuoteQuote:
quick question for you Jsherman, when shooting your M lenses (to keep it relevant to this thread) do you use a OME53 or similar device? Im trying to decide whether it will honestly help my MF skills or if they are a waste of cash. And while im posting, I'd love to see some recent shots with your M 85mm

I actually own an OME53, but just haven't used it much. For some reason I prefer the unmagnified finder, but that may be because I haven't really used it enough. I know there are a lot of folks who shoot MF that swear by it, though.

And I need to get out more with that 85, I guess It's just so winter here.

02-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #1325
Veteran Member

The M Club! wouldn't be what it is without you Tom, thx for all the images and perspectives on this M glass.

Or you my friend. Lot's of good things going on in this thread.

Tom G
02-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #1326
Veteran Member

I'd say it's a substantial purchase! You're going to hit 20 with more MF skills than a lot of folks 2 & 3 times your age who grew up in the MF film era. Something to be proud of.

I actually own an OME53, but just haven't used it much. For some reason I prefer the unmagnified finder, but that may be because I haven't really used it enough. I know there are a lot of folks who shoot MF that swear by it, though.

And I need to get out more with that 85, I guess It's just so winter here.

It takes many months to get that kind of cash for me so your right, it was an expensive "on a whim" type purchase. In fact it was all because of your shots with it. Therefor, I owe you a thanks And winter, well I dont know what winter is anymore. Good o'le SoCal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ha, and man me being 20 seems so far in the future! I turn 16 in march though

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
On another note, I've got some money right now so i think i might try out this KPS finder as im sure I could resell it without too much of a loss if I so chose. I promise to report back if all goes to plan!
02-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #1327
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
That's a good question. I know Albert (Canada_Rockies) seems to recommend the magnifying eyepiece for MF work. I just ordered one last night with some other stuff, so I'll try and post up my first impressions when I've had a go at it.

cheers
It seems to bring the finder closer to film finders. It helps, particularly if you do not use focusing screens with focus aids, as I prefer.

02-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #1328
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Recercare Quote
Tokyoso, very nice pictures, I think you nailed the colors 100%.

Kind regards
.lars
Thanks! It was quite dark under a bridge. The f1.4 was really of value.
02-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #1329
Veteran Member

Another of the M 85mm wide open at F/2 -

view large on black

Last edited by yeatzee; 02-12-2010 at 10:55 AM.
02-11-2010, 11:44 PM   #1330
Veteran Member

Two more, with harsher bokeh conditions = uglier bokeh.

At F/2 of course

Last edited by yeatzee; 02-12-2010 at 12:05 AM.
02-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #1331
Veteran Member

Two more, with harsher bokeh conditions = uglier bokeh.
maybe you are looking for something like this perhaps?

02-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #1332
Veteran Member

Ha not really.... any lens focused between infinity and its MFD wideopen wont have the prettiest bokeh (in my experience). Especially with those busy plants in the background. Your shot (which lens?) seems to be at or close to the lenses MFD, and there really isn't anything in the background that could cause ugly bokeh. The shot I posted (the one before the one you quoted) clearly shows the M 85mm with good bokeh (in my book) with a rather busy background.

In short, im just trying to give everyone a fair idea of the M 85mm and its special qualities/not so special qualities (PF )
02-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #1333
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bokeh's pretty subjective. Some people require perfectly smooth bokeh, others find that boring after a while.

I think the M 85's six blades don't render specular highlights all that well, but overall the bokeh can be (subjectively) very good, IMO.

02-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #1334
Veteran Member

The mirror of me with my K-7 and my Pentax M 50mm f2 lens.

02-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #1335
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
The mirror of me with my K-7 and my Pentax M 50mm f2 lens.

nice, i love no handers