Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8850 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #4936

Photos: Albums
Some guys said M100mm f2.8 is not contrast enough but i just dont think so.Sharp,bright and contrast is what i think about this len.just a few hours and it gave me good result.

please note that i do nothing with my images.just cropped!

02-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #4937
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
It have completely replace my Vivitar 70-210/3.5 (1st version).
I bought Vivitar at the same period of time, but did not have time to understand that lens yet. That is great lens, but 75-150mm "clicked" with me instantly from the first snap.
02-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #4938
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I bought Vivitar at the same period of time, but did not have time to understand that lens yet.
I have a "franken" version (converted by dirty work ).

At f3.5 the lens is slightly "glowing" so, it make a very good portrait lens.
At f4 the glow is mostly gone and it's quite good.
at f5.6 it improves a lot, and it's not very far from the f8-11 peak performance.

A hood (even the shortest) greatly improve contrast and micro-contrast.

The coating is quite "scratch resistant" but you easily mark it with fingers.

It's a very good lens, but it's too heavy for my kind of use (like hanging in a rope to take picture of rock climber - it means i have to lift the bag from ground). If weight isn't a problem, it's a very good complement ! Especialy the swirly bokeh (very visible on FF. It means also that it has a curvature in the "in focus" area).
02-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #4939
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
My long time wanted Pentax-M 75-150mm f4 lens. Wide open. This one will stay on my camera for a while, need more tests.
One of better lenses in this range - terrible underrated. I got it for pennies and it really is amazing, approaching the prime quality and I would always get it over SMC-M 135mm f3.5 - flexibility of zoom is priceless in walkabout scenario !

02-10-2015, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #4940

QuoteOriginally posted by khanhtung Quote
Some guys said M100mm f2.8 is not contrast enough but i just dont think so.Sharp,bright and contrast is what i think about this len.just a few hours and it gave me good result.

please note that i do nothing with my images.just cropped!
Nice shots. If there is one lens I've ever owned that I knew was really good the first moment I shot it, it's the M 100 2.8. It's hard to take a bad shot with it...ever heard that about a lens? Well, that really applies to this lens. Lack of contrast? I can't really see how someone would come to that conclusion at all. I recall a professional photographer saying that this lens is a harmonious package among Pentax lenses, and I have found this to be true. It's sharp and beautiful at 2.8 and at f16, it is just a killer landscape lens. I tested the lens to see if Takanami was right about f16 delivering top of the line sharpness. His test is correct. Strangely, and fortunately, the 100 really delivers at that f stop. The M 120 and 150 are also very good. The 135 and 200 are also very good lenses. All of them have that M build and compactness going for them. The 100 is the best of the bunch and kind of gives you a shock for its image quality when you first use it. You don't expect it to be so good. I did have the top of the line Canon 100 2.8 macro, the one with the group of three floating elements. The Pentax is in that league though getting a different look, and has advantages over that Canon. Unfortunately, I've never been able to shoot the M 85 and would really like to do so. There are varying opinions about which of the two lenses, the 85 or the 100 are best, but I'd bet there isn't a clear winner. The 100 must have something going for it to get the vote from some folks over the 85.
02-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #4941
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by khanhtung Quote
Not me, it's definitely one of my favourite ones!
I once said that it rendered everything in a smooth way, but that can by no mean mistaken for softness or lack of contrast.
Bokeh is simply terrific.
A pity that the FoV is not so comfortable on APS-C, I mostly use that for portraits and for the odd detail shot when promenading (but now that I have the M 80-200 I seldom bring it with me).
02-10-2015, 12:14 PM - 2 Likes   #4942
Veteran Member

A few shots from my Single In challenge month with the M 50/1.4

02-10-2015, 12:36 PM   #4943

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Not me, it's definitely one of my favourite ones!
I once said that it rendered everything in a smooth way, but that can by no mean mistaken for softness or lack of contrast.
Bokeh is simply terrific.
A pity that the FoV is not so comfortable on APS-C, I mostly use that for portraits and for the odd detail shot when promenading (but now that I have the M 80-200 I seldom bring it with me).
Great description. Photos come out "smooth." Bokeh is beautiful. For some reason, I really like the 100 FOV on Pentax crop, or Canon for that matter. So much so that I'm going to get a 150 Tak for FF as well as the150 M again. I struggle to like 135 myself even though I've got a few good ones at that focal length.

Last edited by mglowe; 02-10-2015 at 12:46 PM.
02-11-2015, 03:19 AM   #4944
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
A few shots from my Single In challenge month with the M 50/1.4

Very cool, especially nice colours.
02-11-2015, 03:27 AM - 3 Likes   #4945
Veteran Member

That quality! I liked both the -M 50mm F1.7 I bought the -A version.
I think tap sell with walk in that sense no longer have the 2 versions.

02-11-2015, 01:05 PM - 2 Likes   #4946

x-post from bokeh club, a while ago. I need to go out shooting again... 50mm F1.4, wide open.

Another fall-ish shot. Waiting for the green to come back.. She wanted LOTS of flare. I obliged.

Last edited by Surnia; 02-11-2015 at 01:29 PM.
02-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #4947
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Surnia Quote
x-post from bokeh club, a while ago. I need to go out shooting again... 50mm F1.4, wide open.

Another fall-ish shot. Waiting for the green to come back.. She wanted LOTS of flare. I obliged.
That first shot is to die for!
02-12-2015, 12:44 AM   #4948
Veteran Member

Pentax-M, 75-150mm comments, please.

Can any of you who own this lens tell me about the focus ring throw? How many degrees is it, approximately, from infinity to minimum focus? What's your overall opinion of the lens, in general. I've read all the reviews I can find on this lens and they all speak very highly of it, but would like to know about the focus throw.

Thanks.
02-12-2015, 12:47 AM   #4949
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Can any of you who own this lens tell me about the focus ring throw? How many degrees is it, approximately, from infinity to minimum focus? What's your overall opinion of the lens, in general. I've read all the reviews I can find on this lens and they all speak very highly of it, but would like to know about the focus throw.

Thanks.
Hi, I don't have that lens, and I hope someone who has it can chime in and answer.
I will only say that I have the 80-200mm f/4.5 first series - same period more or less - and the focus throw is about 180°, which can be a little long and uncomfortable if you need to focus on moving subjects.
If the 75-150mm is similarly built then I expect it to have a long throw...
02-12-2015, 01:21 AM   #4950
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Can any of you who own this lens tell me about the focus ring throw? How many degrees is it, approximately, from infinity to minimum focus? What's your overall opinion of the lens, in general. I've read all the reviews I can find on this lens and they all speak very highly of it, but would like to know about the focus throw. Thanks.
I have this lens - it has about 120-140 degree focus throw - just right so I can move from infinity to 1.2m with one move of hand without repositioning it. The focusing is of course buttery smooth
I am very pleased with the IQ as well which even wide open is excellent.