Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8836 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2017, 08:40 AM   #6256
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Some kids playing near the creek - you may have to look closely to see all of them! M50/1.7 on *ist D:
I have noticed that, at least to me, your shots look much better in flickr than here on PF. For some reason it looks like your shots in PF are upscaled from flickr shots. At least they show up clearly larger and in weaker quality than originals in flickr. I have max picture size 1280x800 in PF, which I think was default max picture size. It looks you save the shots to flickr smaller than that.

This is a bit confusing as PF is not supposed to upscale shots and for sure it doesn't do that to all shots. Is this just me or does others see the same thing? Does your shots show up in correct size to you? It might be due to flickr, but I haven't noticed the same in other members posts.

08-31-2017, 09:11 AM   #6257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I have noticed that, at least to me, your shots look much better in flickr than here on PF. For some reason it looks like your shots in PF are upscaled from flickr shots. At least they show up clearly larger and in weaker quality than originals in flickr. I have max picture size 1280x800 in PF, which I think was default max picture size. It looks you save the shots to flickr smaller than that.

This is a bit confusing as PF is not supposed to upscale shots and for sure it doesn't do that to all shots. Is this just me or does others see the same thing? Does your shots show up in correct size to you? It might be due to flickr, but I haven't noticed the same in other members posts.
I don't believe the photos are upscaled. I rarely upload large, hi-res photos on Flickr. My Flickr photos are usually in the 1024-1200 wide range, and I usually post them at their full size here on PF. The default viewing size on Flickr (on my system) is smaller than actual size, and to me looks oversharpened with visible artifacts. But if I view the photo in full size on Flickr (under "view all sizes"), it looks the same as my photo here on PF. There could be some compression going on, and my monitor isn't the greatest, but I'm not seeing the degradation you refer to.
08-31-2017, 10:32 AM   #6258
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't believe the photos are upscaled. I rarely upload large, hi-res photos on Flickr. My Flickr photos are usually in the 1024-1200 wide range, and I usually post them at their full size here on PF. The default viewing size on Flickr (on my system) is smaller than actual size, and to me looks oversharpened with visible artifacts. But if I view the photo in full size on Flickr (under "view all sizes"), it looks the same as my photo here on PF. There could be some compression going on, and my monitor isn't the greatest, but I'm not seeing the degradation you refer to.
Apparently it's me or should I say firefox. Nowadays it automatically zooms into some pages. It was showing PF with 150% and flickr with 100%. I returned PF to 100% and the problem was fixed. Need to be more careful with this browser

EDIT: This seem to make all pictures better looking. Why I haven't noticed this ever before. Not even with my own. Oh well, better late than never...

Last edited by iheiramo; 08-31-2017 at 10:39 AM.
08-31-2017, 10:55 AM   #6259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apparently it's me or should I say firefox. Nowadays it automatically zooms into some pages. It was showing PF with 150% and flickr with 100%. I returned PF to 100% and the problem was fixed. Need to be more careful with this browser

EDIT: This seem to make all pictures better looking. Why I haven't noticed this ever before. Not even with my own. Oh well, better late than never...
Ah-ha . You might have inadvertently zoomed (ctrl+) on the PF page at one time, and Firefox "remembered" that setting. It's happened to me as well!

09-02-2017, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #6260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

April honeysuckle with the M50/1.7:
09-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #6261
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Windsurfing again with trusty M*300/4:

09-05-2017, 04:25 AM - 3 Likes   #6262
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Participating in Single In September Challenge with M*300/4 so I will be shooting a lot with it in weeks to come.

09-06-2017, 05:05 AM - 3 Likes   #6263
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

The * is just too good. I, and this thread, are going to drown in shots with it

09-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #6264
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The * is just too good. I, and this thread, are going to drown in shots with it
You're getting some very nice images with it!
09-07-2017, 12:33 AM   #6265
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

You're getting some very nice images with it!
Thanks.
09-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #6266

Sunshine after the storm... K-01 M50 4 Macro

100% Crop

09-08-2017, 03:22 PM - 4 Likes   #6267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a shot from about a week ago with the M28/3.5 on the old *ist D. I really love this combo.
09-09-2017, 01:08 AM   #6268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D. Obermann Quote
my collectors episode was shadowed by my wifes menace to incapacitate me...
My she who must be obeyed has threatened all sorts of unpleasant things to the postman if he delivers any more packages to me.
09-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #6269
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SWMBO here doesn't know about my super secret system. I have a mail drop in Montana, a whole country away and it is attached to my US$ credit card and I have friends who pass the mail drop every week and she doesn't monitor the US$ accounts I have. Unfortunately I do have to pay the card every now and then ...
09-12-2017, 01:42 AM - 2 Likes   #6270
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh well, here we go again. Last Friday M20 came for sale here in Finland for the first time since January, but I just missed it. Somebody was already negotiating with seller when I made contact. But today I was fast enough with M35/2, so waiting for it to arrive in couple of days. Now the missed M20 don't bother so much as I couldn't have bought both lenses at the same time anyway

Meanwhile still shooting M*300 on single in September challenge. You can find my challenge album here and some left over shots from below:

I wasn't completely happy with my B&W shot in challenge. It has a really complex edge between dark grass and grey forest in the background. Automask feature to create layer for edits doesn't manage to create accurate selection in this situation in Capture 1. In C1 you can also use selection from color editor to create a layer, but it doesn't lock on pure black, but found a way around it. I turned B&W off, pushed exposure so far that everything else but grass and lone tree were white, chose almost all color wheel from dark to moderate bright and then turned that selection to a layer and returned exposure and B&W back. Now I had much better layer on the edge of the grass and grey forest and was able to push edits much further. If you look at the edge of the grass in the shot in the challenge, you can see how mask is not strictly on the grass and leave evidence of edits in the shot, which cannot be found in the shot below (The darkness of the grass is better in the challenge version of the shot IMO. I made the later edit lighter as a proof of better editing technique.):