Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8850 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2017, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #6361
Forum Member

Here are some of my recent favourite shots, mostly of my loyal puppers Ada.

First major snowfall at Shea Woods in Stittsville (M50 f1.7):

Ada checking out the woods (M28 f2.8 gen 1):

Ada checking out the woods the day before snowfall (M50 f1.7):

Ada chilling on the deck this summer (M28 f2.8 gen 1):

HDR Stack of a gorgeous sunrise near Silver Lake on Hwy 7 (M28 f2.8 gen 1):

---------- Post added 12-13-17 at 02:40 PM ----------

My previous post didn't post the images, so here's another attempt... Here are some of my recent favourite shots, mostly of my loyal puppers Ada.

First major snowfall at Shea Woods in Stittsville (M50 f1.7):
_IGP7020.jpg | Matthew Terry | Flickr

Ada checking out the woods (M28 f2.8 gen 1):
_IGP6988.jpg | Matthew Terry | Flickr

Ada checking out the woods the day before snowfall (M50 f1.7):
_IGP6923.jpg | Matthew Terry | Flickr

Ada chilling on the deck this summer (M28 f2.8 gen 1):
_IGP5458.jpg | Matthew Terry | Flickr

HDR Stack of a gorgeous sunrise near Silver Lake on Hwy 7 (M28 f2.8 gen 1):
_IGP6833-HDR.jpg | Matthew Terry | Flickr

12-13-2017, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #6362
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shadowjester Quote
My previous post didn't post the images, so here's another attempt...
When you hit share button on flickr, choose BBCode sheet from popup window. You can copy that link directly to message window in PF and it will show the image, with hyperlink to flickr page attached to it, when you send the message.

M100/2.8:

I usually delete the end of the provided BBCode after the first URL closes. I like to keep only the image and hyperlink attached to it and get rid of the additional info and links after it.

I liked 3rd and 4th shot the most.
12-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #6363
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
When you hit share button on flickr, choose BBCode sheet from popup window. You can copy that link directly to message window in PF and it will show the image, with hyperlink to flickr page attached to it, when you send the message.

M100/2.8:

I usually delete the end of the provided BBCode after the first URL closes. I like to keep only the image and hyperlink attached to it and get rid of the additional info and links after it.

I liked 3rd and 4th shot the most.
The more you know!

Thanks for the tip. It was driving me nuts.
12-19-2017, 10:41 AM - 2 Likes   #6364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From November with the M50/1.7

12-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #6365
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
From November with the M50/1.7
Really nice.
12-19-2017, 01:13 PM - 3 Likes   #6366
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

There can be only one image in SIC so I put my spare one here. M100/2.8:
12-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #6367
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really nice.
Thanks. That 50 was my first M lens, and still one of my favorites, esp for flowers & closeups.

12-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #6368
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Thanks. That 50 was my first M lens, and still one of my favorites, esp for flowers & closeups.
Was also my first M and it really got me hooked on vintage lenses. Incredible lens. It's so common that it's really underpriced, and due to it, probably the best value lens for K mount.
12-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #6369
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple from one of my favorites, the M28/3.5, taken in August.
I was able to coax a bit of bokeh from it here:

Me 'n Jeannie heading home after a walk at the park:
12-22-2017, 05:08 AM - 2 Likes   #6370
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have an M 100/4 macro you can have for shipping cost.
Cristmas present arrived today and it's lovely. M100/4 in perfect, almost mint, condition. Hardly any signs of usage. Don't no how to express my gratitude enough. This is a great site with incredible people, but this has been icing on the cake. Thank you, Canada Rockies. I promice I wont ever sell this lens. If at somepoint time comes for it to move on, I will give it as a present to a good home. But knowing me, I will keep it for long time. I just can't let go ot usable stuff.

Were you the first owner of the lens? Do you remember when you bought this lens? It would be nice to know more about it's history.

K30 M100/4 ISO100 f5,6 1s on tripod:

First impression of the lens is really positive. It look's to be exactly what I hoped it would be. Notch above in sharpness compared to M100/2.8 and macro ability without playing with extension tubes. Focus throw is really long. It's takes some turning to get from macro to infinity. Bokeh looks good with nice transition. Already at this point I convinced, that of the two 100mm M primes, this is the one to get. When you need faster tele go for 120 or 85. Although my SIC this month is proving that M100/2.8 is not so bad as I make it sound. It's actually really good. To me the other 3 just look even better.

M100/2.8:

M100/2.8:

M100/2.8:
12-22-2017, 09:39 AM - 2 Likes   #6371
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cristmas present arrived today and it's lovely. M100/4 in perfect, almost mint, condition. Hardly any signs of usage. Don't no how to express my gratitude enough. This is a great site with incredible people, but this has been icing on the cake. Thank you, Canada Rockies. I promice I wont ever sell this lens. If at somepoint time comes for it to move on, I will give it as a present to a good home. But knowing me, I will keep it for long time. I just can't let go ot usable stuff.

Were you the first owner of the lens? Do you remember when you bought this lens? It would be nice to know more about it's history.

First impression of the lens is really positive. It look's to be exactly what I hoped it would be. Notch above in sharpness compared to M100/2.8 and macro ability without playing with extension tubes. Focus throw is really long. It's takes some turning to get from macro to infinity. Bokeh looks good with nice transition. Already at this point I convinced, that of the two 100mm M primes, this is the one to get.
I am so happy she (in English we use "she" rather than "it" for lovely machinery) has found a good home. I am looking forward to seeing Finnish results from her.

She was purchased from Vintage Visuals by mail, a Calgary Alberta used photo equipment exchange that unfortunately went out of business a few years ago, probably as a result of eBay and the like. I was an irregular customer.

I paid C$150 in 1989, and she served me very well indeed until I succumbed to LBA and bought an FA 100/2.8 macro for the auto exposure options and the extra stop of light. I have no idea where she was before VV got her, but the condition was even shinier than now -- I'm not one for polishing -- I just use them and keep them in decent operating condition. When I bought her, I also bought a K series Pentax 50mm extension tube to give her 1:1 capability. The original matching tube was not with her. You cannot have the tube; I use it do bring my M 400/5.6 close enough that a 5x7 inch subject (13x18 cm) fills the frame on film.

Enjoy her: she was a delight when I owned her.
12-22-2017, 09:52 AM   #6372
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
When I bought her, I also bought a K series Pentax 50mm extension tube to give her 1:1 capability.

Enjoy her: she was a delight when I owned her.
Thanks for info. I have an old Asahi Pentax extension tube set. Just measured and all 3 parts together are about 55mm. I should be able to get really close.

I'll enjoy her and keep posting shots here.
12-24-2017, 03:56 PM - 3 Likes   #6373
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Well.. It seems I was a bit hasty in my judgement. I did a lot of test shooting today. Really tried my best to keep test shots similar for both lenses. Results weren't what I expected, as I was prepared for M100/4 to be clearly better of the two. Turns out they both have they own strengths.

M100/2.8 is sharper when shooting objects further away. At about 2m lenses are equally sharp at their best. Both lenses are bit soft wide open, but 2.8 is already usable at f4 with best range at f5.6-f8. Macro is at it's best at f8-f11 and I probably try to keep it there all the time. I think the target moved in my test shot at 1m, so cannot confirm that. M100/2.8 has more contrast and stronger colors, but M100/4 has similar grace in rendition and bokeh that M85/2 has.

Apparently both lenses have their place. Macro for close work and 2.8 when more light is needed or shooting further away. Macro will find it's place in my camera bag to do what it was made for. 2.8 probably not, as it's share of the work can be spread to other lenses in the bag. But one's again in honest test 2.8 turn out to be better lens than my feeling of it is.

M100/4:

12-26-2017, 01:56 PM - 4 Likes   #6374
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

We had a beautiful Christmas day. M35/2 for a change.

12-27-2017, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #6375
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

M100/2.8: