Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2018, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #6466
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
You're gathering almost exactly the same M lenses as I have in my collection, though I sold my 135/3.5 as well as a few copies of the M 28mm lenses (I don't much like any of them).
Currently I'm on a project to gather them all*. because I took up a project to shoot them all thru in Single in Challenge in hope of learning something. I actually plan to do it twice. First round in APSC and second in FF. If I get good enough understanding of the line up, I might even dare to write some lens reviews.

* I'm not 100% sure what all includes. M2000 and M35/1.4 are obviously out. Even if found somewhere they would be way out of my league. M400, M20 & M28/2 are under consideration. Relatively expensive compared to other M's and I'm not sure if I need them in my line up in daily shooting. M28/2 is most likely, but so far haven't seen a single lens available around here. The other 17 I'm definitely getting and I have only 4 reasonably priced to get there. Of course I have made a table Green ones I have and reds are missing.

Don't know if I keep them all after I'm done or sell some, but for sure I will keep a set that covers everything I might shoot.

03-07-2018, 04:15 AM   #6467
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
...at least one zoom is worth to add to the list - the M 75-150/4!
03-07-2018, 04:55 AM   #6468
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
...at least one zoom is worth to add to the list - the M 75-150/4!
Yes, I've seen the magic people can do with it. I'll consider it in 3-5 years, when I have gone thru the primes. I have at least 28 months to shoot after this one
03-07-2018, 06:30 AM   #6469
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Yes, I've seen the magic people can do with it. I'll consider it in 3-5 years, when I have gone thru the primes. I have at least 28 months to shoot after this one
I've not used the M 75-150/4 but I can assure you the M 35-70/2.8-3.5 is one heck of a lens and they often sell for a ridiculous low price.

03-07-2018, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #6470
Pentaxian

Currently I'm on a project to gather them all...
That sounds painfully familar although for me I'm after the K series... (am I allowed to say that here? )

Unfortunately, the picture is no longer available but John McD on the UK fora had most of the M primes: All the "M" Well almost (before the hammer falls)

K.
03-07-2018, 02:44 PM - 6 Likes   #6471
Pentaxian

Pentax KM, M200/4, Ilford Delta 100 film. (Cross-posted with the BW film and trees threads).

Out walking (6), AKA "Flying home" par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
03-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #6472
Pentaxian

The 75-150 is definitely worth getting, especially as it's usually available for around €30.

I don't like any of the M 28s I've tried (f/2.8 (both versions) and f/3.5) but the f/2 may be the exception, but in eight-or-so years of being a Pentax shooter I don't think I've ever seen a single copy for sale.

The 40mm gets mediocre reviews and usually sells for far too much, while the 50/2 also gets mediocre reviews and has zero advantages over the f/1.7. I'll stick with the 50/1.7 (I have three of them) which is superb and barely bigger than the 40mm. The 1.4 is nice to have too if I really want the extra speed.

I have to admit that the M series does contain a few duds, so I'd never set out to get them all.

03-08-2018, 12:49 AM   #6473
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

The 75-150 is definitely worth getting, especially as it's usually available for around €30.

I don't like any of the M 28s I've tried (f/2.8 (both versions) and f/3.5) but the f/2 may be the exception, but in eight-or-so years of being a Pentax shooter I don't think I've ever seen a single copy for sale.

The 40mm gets mediocre reviews and usually sells for far too much, while the 50/2 also gets mediocre reviews and has zero advantages over the f/1.7. I'll stick with the 50/1.7 (I have three of them) which is superb and barely bigger than the 40mm. The 1.4 is nice to have too if I really want the extra speed.

I have to admit that the M series does contain a few duds, so I'd never set out to get them all.
My reason to buy M*s has chanced over time. At first it was to get my K30 working after aperture block failure as cheaply as possible. Then as manual glass draw me deeply into photography, I started to buillt a kit of the best lenses in M series. Now I've been filling the gaps to get more lenses to shoot in single in challenge. So I'm acquiring also the cheaper version of focal lengths and not so highly graded focal lengths. I've come to conclusion that, if I shoot 2 months with each lens and nothing more, they are well worth the money I need to invest. Especially if I sell them of afterwards.

I think that M28's problem is that M35/2 is better. I like my 28's, but due to more versatile 35 i don't need them in my travel kit. At least while I shoot APSC. On FF the difference in focal length might be more significant.

Agree on 40 & 50/2 based on reviews. Not really interested in them, but I'll see them thru anyway. Maybe I learn something. If nothing else, I can form an opinion based on own experience. I've only taken few shots with 50/1.4, but for wide open performance it seem's to be a better choice.
03-08-2018, 05:31 AM   #6474
Pentaxian

Agree on 40 & 50/2 based on reviews...
I like my M40 on film. With the MX it makes a super compact package, and the lens is not as bad as some would make it out to be. On digital, it just becomes small and fiddly and an odd focal length, and I'd rather use the FA43.

I have an M50/2 which I won't sell for the simple reason it was my first lens that I got with my ME Super in 1982. I recently had it serviced as it was sticky and stiff from a bad interaction with beer many moons ago. I ought to use it for a bit just because...

K.
03-08-2018, 06:08 AM   #6475
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I like my M40 on film. With the MX it makes a super compact package, and the lens is not as bad as some would make it out to be. On digital, it just becomes small and fiddly and an odd focal length, and I'd rather use the FA43.
Yes, I think that is the common opinion. Nice rendition, but maybe lacks a little bit sharpness on digital and almost too small to use comfortably, but make's nice small baggage with compact film body.
03-08-2018, 11:21 PM   #6476
Pentaxian

I think that M28's problem is that M35/2 is better. I like my 28's, but due to more versatile 35 i don't need them in my travel kit. At least while I shoot APSC. On FF the difference in focal length might be more significant.
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I think the M 28's problems are that just about every other similar lens is better . I'm exaggerrating of course - I'm sure there are lots of poor 28mm lenses out there and the Ms will be better than average because of that. I'm careful with what I buy and so I avoid all those third party 28mm lenses unless it's one that's known to be an exception or it's just too cheap not to give it at least a try. But I definitely feel that the 28mm Ms are well below average in performance compared to the other Ms. FYI, I've tried 1 2.8 mark I, a 2.8 mark II and two different copies of the 3.5. The 3.5 is better but they tend to have problems focusing to infinity and there's still a lack of magic on most of the images they produce - the K 28mm f/3.5 is far superior (but bigger, heavier, rarer and more expensive).
03-09-2018, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #6477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
I've not used the M 75-150/4 but I can assure you the M 35-70/2.8-3.5 is one heck of a lens and they often sell for a ridiculous low price.
Agree with this. It's a heavy chunk of metal and glass, but the results are very prime-like. Highly recommended.

I really enjoy my M28/3.5. Here's a couple "dogwalk at sunset" shots, taken with an old 6 mp *ist D:

03-09-2018, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #6478
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

But I definitely feel that the 28mm Ms are well below average in performance compared to the other Ms. FYI, I've tried 1 2.8 mark I, a 2.8 mark II and two different copies of the 3.5. The 3.5 is better but they tend to have problems focusing to infinity and there's still a lack of magic on most of the images they produce - the K 28mm f/3.5 is far superior (but bigger, heavier, rarer and more expensive).
Could be. I have no experience with any of the K lenses, so can't compare, but I've heard people saying that for most of the M series.

I've paid 35€ for 2.8 and 40€ for 3.5. A lens can't be significantly cheaper and for the price they produce decent results. I don't see much difference to other M's in landscapes and sports when you want everything sharp and short hyperfocal distance is really handy at times. Of course it's a drawback if you would like to have some subject separation. Also bokeh is not the strong points of the lens. At least my versions are sharp enough for my taste and 2.8 has decent starburst. And I haven't noticed serious problems with PF like there is, for example, with M85 and M200.
So I think 2.8 and 3.5 have a good value, but if your willing to pay more you can get better IQ and more versatile lens. Since I have M35/2 (I paid 225€) I don't currently see use for my 28's outside SIC. That is also why I seriously consider if M28/2 is worth acquiring.

Some shots from current month with M28/2.8:

03-10-2018, 04:33 AM - 10 Likes   #6479
Pentaxian

One from 1980: Vienna, staircase in a building from the first half of the 19th century (if I recall correctly). Pentax MX with smc Pentax-M 1:2.8 28mm, Ilford HP5 film pushed to EI 1600, negative copied using Pentax K-1 with smc Pentax-D FA 50mm Macro.

03-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #6480
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like this one, there's something about film that still impresses