Photos: Albums
Couple of stitched shots from today with M50/1.4. First one 21 shots in 3 rows:

Second 27 shots in 3 rows:

10-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #6962
Dan
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Couple of stitched shots from today with M50/1.4. First one 21 shots in 3 rows:
Very impressive job with the stitching. The image must be very impressive at full resolution. The sky and water both create some challenges for seamless stitching. What software did you use?

By the way, I see that you are in Espoo, which gives me an opportunity to use the few words of Finnish that I have learned: Suomi on kaunis maa! (Sorry if I botched that.)

Dan
10-18-2018, 11:02 PM   #6963
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
Very impressive job with the stitching. The image must be very impressive at full resolution. The sky and water both create some challenges for seamless stitching. What software did you use?

By the way, I see that you are in Espoo, which gives me an opportunity to use the few words of Finnish that I have learned: Suomi on kaunis maa! (Sorry if I botched that.)

Dan
Thanks, It has it's moments. And it went correctly. Thought I live in Espoo, I'm not there at the moment.. These shots are from Oulu where I'm visiting this week.

I stitch with MS ICE which is free program. I've learned that the more overlay you have on the shots the better the results are. Nowadays I use about half of the view steps when I take shots for stitching. I have also started to downsample the shots before stitching. It makes it faster and seem to produce less errors in stitching.
10-23-2018, 11:34 PM - 3 Likes   #6964
Pentaxian

A couple of shots with the M 35mm f/2

Coast
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Cogs

10-25-2018, 07:00 PM - 2 Likes   #6965
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMSA Prototype Porsche 962

Portland International Raceway, 1986.

Shot on Kodachrome, with a Ricoh XR2S, with a Vivitar 90-230mm zoom lens.

Copied with a Pentax K5IIs, and A50mm f1.7 lens with a Pentax Auto Bellows M and Slide Copier For Auto Bellows M.

10-29-2018, 05:15 PM - 4 Likes   #6966
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
IMSA Prototype Porsche 962

Shot on Kodachrome, with a Ricoh XR2S, with a Vivitar 90-230mm zoom lens.

Copied with a Pentax K5IIs, and A50mm f1.7 lens with a Pentax Auto Bellows M and Slide Copier For Auto Bellows M.

So I feel bad that I posted this image here in the M club, as I shot the original with a Vivitar lens, and copied the slide with a Pentax A lens. What was I thinking?

So, as penance, here is the same car, originally shot with an M lens.

Shot on Kodachrome, with a Ricoh XR2S, with a Pentax M40-80mm zoom lens.

10-29-2018, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #6967
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So I feel bad that I posted this image here in the M club, as I shot the original with a Vivitar lens, and copied the slide with a Pentax A lens. What was I thinking?

So, as penance, here is the same car, originally shot with an M lens.

Shot on Kodachrome, with a Ricoh XR2S, with a Pentax M40-80mm zoom lens.

You are forgiven. Nice photo.

10-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #6968
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
You are forgiven. Nice photo.
Thank you!
10-31-2018, 01:29 AM - 9 Likes   #6969
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

October Single In Challenge with M50/1.4

I'm done with the SIC month and it's time for my monthly wrap up. I go to November challenge with M120/2.8 and great expectations, as I have thought this to be the best tele between 100mm and 200mm in M series.

The set up for the this month was battle between M50/1.7 and M50/1.4. 1.7 was my first manual vintage lens and it's quolity cought me deeper into photography. Before it I mainly took shots on vacations and other special occasions. After I got it I started taking shots for the sake of shooting and also started to improve my knowledge in defferent aspects of photography. At the beginning of the month I didn't really know the differences between these two as I hadn't shot much with 1.4.

So how do they compare? In my opinion wide open goes for 1.4. It's sharper and has better wide open bokeh. At least when shooting close. I really don't want shoot either wide open to infinity

Stopped down sharpness gets better, but bokeh gets complicated. If there is enough difference between target and background lens privides nice smooth surface. If not, the bokeh gets easily too busy. So much that it's annoyed me much this month. I've ditched a lot of shots for bad bokeh. I find 1.7 much more consistent with its bokeh and therefore better for general shooting.

Rendition from 1.4 reminds me the M85/2. It's more delicate and has less contrast than 1.7. So for portraits 1.4 is better, but once again for general shooting and especially for landscapes I'd go with 1.7. Even more so if the focus is in infinity. 1.7 seems to work there much better. My best landscapes of the month with 1.4 has been taken so that the focus plane is closer than infinity.

1.7 seems to be at it's greatest at f5.6 - f8. I didn't quite grasp similar sweet spot with 1.4 and I used wider set of apertures with it. With 1.7 I tend to put camera on tripod and go for maximum sharpness. I think 1.4 also provides best sharpness at f8, but still I often opted to wider apertures for softer bokeh rendition.

If I didn't know the difference of these lenses in the beginning of the month, I think I have grasped now grasped the difference, but can't still say which one is a better lens. In truth I still think these perform pretty close to each other and one can be happy with either one. I think that, if you want a lens for close up bkeh shots or portrait work, go for 1.4. Else go for 1.7. It's better for landscapes and general shooting. Personally I think I stick to 1.7. I don't do much portraits and I do have M85/2, which is even better then 1.4 in its strengths. All this leaves quite a little use for 1.4 in my quiver. Current feeling is that I might sell it after FF round, but there is always a possibility that second round will chance my mind. I'm also eagerly waiting for December SIC with M50/4 macro which has the potential to steel the spot of fifty in my travel kit from 1.7.

1.4:

f2:

f2.8:

f4:

f8:

11-02-2018, 04:31 AM - 4 Likes   #6970
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I'm done with the SIC month and it's time for my monthly wrap up. I go to November challenge with M120/2.8 and great expectations, as I have thought this to be the best tele between 100mm and 200mm in M series.

The set up for the this month was battle between M50/1.7 and M50/1.4. 1.7 was my first manual vintage lens and it's quolity cought me deeper into photography. Before it I mainly took shots on vacations and other special occasions. After I got it I started taking shots for the sake of shooting and also started to improve my knowledge in defferent aspects of photography. At the beginning of the month I didn't really know the differences between these two as I hadn't shot much with 1.4.

So how do they compare? In my opinion wide open goes for 1.4. It's sharper and has better wide open bokeh. At least when shooting close. I really don't want shoot either wide open to infinity

Stopped down sharpness gets better, but bokeh gets complicated. If there is enough difference between target and background lens privides nice smooth surface. If not, the bokeh gets easily too busy. So much that it's annoyed me much this month. I've ditched a lot of shots for bad bokeh. I find 1.7 much more consistent with its bokeh and therefore better for general shooting.

Rendition from 1.4 reminds me the M85/2. It's more delicate and has less contrast than 1.7. So for portraits 1.4 is better, but once again for general shooting and especially for landscapes I'd go with 1.7. Even more so if the focus is in infinity. 1.7 seems to work there much better. My best landscapes of the month with 1.4 has been taken so that the focus plane is closer than infinity.

1.7 seems to be at it's greatest at f5.6 - f8. I didn't quite grasp similar sweet spot with 1.4 and I used wider set of apertures with it. With 1.7 I tend to put camera on tripod and go for maximum sharpness. I think 1.4 also provides best sharpness at f8, but still I often opted to wider apertures for softer bokeh rendition.

If I didn't know the difference of these lenses in the beginning of the month, I think I have grasped now grasped the difference, but can't still say which one is a better lens. In truth I still think these perform pretty close to each other and one can be happy with either one. I think that, if you want a lens for close up bkeh shots or portrait work, go for 1.4. Else go for 1.7. It's better for landscapes and general shooting. Personally I think I stick to 1.7. I don't do much portraits and I do have M85/2, which is even better then 1.4 in its strengths. All this leaves quite a little use for 1.4 in my quiver. Current feeling is that I might sell it after FF round, but there is always a possibility that second round will chance my mind. I'm also eagerly waiting for December SIC with M50/4 macro which has the potential to steel the spot of fifty in my travel kit from 1.7.
Nice summary and photos. I've never been able to decide between the M f/1.7 and /1.4 but the f/1.7 gets more use because it's smaller and lighter and I almost never shoot the f/1.4 wide open anyway.

The M 35mm f/2 got the call yet again for another trip up to the north of Spain, this time to Asturias. What a gorgeous place.

Asturian coast

Early morning

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 11-05-2018 at 11:12 PM.
11-03-2018, 06:18 AM - 7 Likes   #6971
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
An invitation to tea, Ayt Lghazi/Imilchil, Morocco, 1980, Pentax MX, smc Pentax-M 1:1.4 50mm, Ilford HP 5 film/ID-11 developer.
Negative copied using Pentax K-1 with Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon-Zirconia 2.8/89-0001 (crossposted from "Post your B&W Film shots" thread).

11-03-2018, 08:30 AM   #6972
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
An invitation to tea, Ayt Lghazi/Imilchil, Morocco, 1980, Pentax MX, smc Pentax-M 1:1.4 50mm, Ilford HP 5 film/ID-11 developer.
Negative copied using Pentax K-1 with Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon-Zirconia 2.8/89-0001 (crossposted from "Post your B&W Film shots" thread).
That is a great portrait.
11-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #6973
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That is a great portrait.
Thank you!
11-03-2018, 12:55 PM - 3 Likes   #6974
abw
Forum Member

I did some headshots yesterday with a bunch of different lenses.
I mainly used the Takumar 85/1.8, Pentax K 50/1.4 and Sony FE 50/1.8 but I also tried a couple of quick shots at the end of the shoot while we were packing up with the SMC Pentax M 50/f4 macro.
I had heard this lens is also really good for portraits and landscapes so I wanted to give it a quick try.

This shot is a SOCC jpeg with no post.
Camera used Sony A7III at SS 1/250, ISO 125, no flash, natural lighting.
11-04-2018, 02:18 AM   #6975
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abw Quote
I did some headshots yesterday with a bunch of different lenses.
I mainly used the Takumar 85/1.8, Pentax K 50/1.4 and Sony FE 50/1.8 but I also tried a couple of quick shots at the end of the shoot while we were packing up with the SMC Pentax M 50/f4 macro.
I had heard this lens is also really good for portraits and landscapes so I wanted to give it a quick try.

This shot is a SOCC jpeg with no post.
Camera used Sony A7III at SS 1/250, ISO 125, no flash, natural lighting.
Excellent shot, just a bit too much empty space at the top. I owned the M 50/4 macro for a while but sold it on as I have the A series 50/2.8 macro, but the M had really good image quality.