Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8850 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2019, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #7021
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I guess the water tanks are empty in the trailers? And no toilet?
Depends. Tanks need to be empty when left cold, but many use the tanks while they stay at the area. We don't, as we haven't found it worth the hassle. There are toilets in the caravans, but we have turned our toilet to drying room and use the toilets provided by area, but ones again many others use theirs. At least they keep empting their waste tanks. I just don't understand how they manage to dry teir gear

01-01-2019, 02:19 AM - 9 Likes   #7022
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

M50/4 macro

It has been a great month with M50/4 macro. It's been pleasure use and more versatile than I expected. Also I have managed to pull thru full year in SIC in 2018 without missing any days. Of course there is a set of safety shots needed to make this happen, but still I feel good on my achievement. Time to take rest in January and play with K1ii before I finish my APSC round of Pentax M series primes.

Weather in December has been a challenge. A lot of cloudy days and lack of daylight limits the shooting possibilities. I planned macro for this month on purpose, as I thought I might need it's ability to make just about anything into a shot. In macro mode this lens works well. Sharp details in focus and I like the bokeh this lens produce. Wide open bokeh balls are round, but become hexagonal stopped down as is typical for M series lenses. Wide open performance was a great surprice and it came real handy. Due to low light and quite slow lens, I shot a lot wide open this month. More than ever, think. Still the best sharpness can be found between f5.6 and f11. I tried to go for landscapes every time weather allowed and M50/4 macro didn't let down. I have nothing to complain on it's performance when set on infinity. The negative I have to say about this lens are the starbursts and flare in the highlights. You can live with them, but they sure don't make the shots better. If you dont have direct light sources in the night shots, then this lens work well.

M series have 2 macro lenses M50/4 and M100/4 and 4 lenses with 50mm focal length. Of these two macros I think I find 50 better. It's sharper, smaller and more versatile, thought you have to go closer to the subject in macro. With 50 you can shoot anything from macro to landscapes, but 100 I found to struggle when focused closer to infinity. The battle for fifties is much more difficult. I think the f2 is the weakest and I already have decided that I like f1.7 over f1.4. Between f1.7 and f4 it's about what other lenses I have and what I'm expecting to shoot. I think f1.7 is a bit better for general shooting and landscapes, but one real macro lens is good have in travel bag. Time will tell which one gets more use. Based on my APSC round these are the fifties I'll keep, but I'll recheck after I've shot them in FF in single in challenge.

f8:

Wide open:

f5.6:

Wide open:

f8:

f8:

Panorama of 10 vertical shots at f8:
01-01-2019, 07:00 AM   #7023
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a very nice series. Thanks for posting.
01-03-2019, 05:44 AM - 4 Likes   #7024
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

K1ii&M35/2:

K1ii&M120/2.8:

01-03-2019, 07:36 AM   #7025
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
K1ii&M35/2:
Beautiful series, Ismo.
01-08-2019, 02:38 PM - 6 Likes   #7026
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax M150/3.5

M150 came today and it's a beauty

K1ii & M100/4:

My planned collection of 17 M series primes is now ready. I should take a group shot one of these days. Didn't have time to take it today. Weather was bad, but took the 150 outside for a quick shoot out to have some test shots. Looks promising. I think I'm going to like this lens.

K1ii & M150 wide open:

f8:
01-08-2019, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #7027
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

M150 came today and it's a beauty

K1ii & M100/4:

My planned collection of 17 M series primes is now ready. I should take a group shot one of these days. Didn't have time to take it today. Weather was bad, but took the 150 outside for a quick shoot out to have some test shots. Looks promising. I think I'm going to like this lens.

K1ii & M150 wide open:

f8:
Congratulations on the like-new look of that lens. I do not have the M150 but do have the M200, which is my favorite zoo and school concert lens. If the 150 is as good as the 200, you are in for a treat!

01-09-2019, 12:30 AM   #7028
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow, that looks like new indeed. Better than my copy. I like this lens a lot. Very compact and nice IQ. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.
01-09-2019, 06:42 AM - 6 Likes   #7029
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Congratulations on the like-new look of that lens. I do not have the M150 but do have the M200, which is my favorite zoo and school concert lens. If the 150 is as good as the 200, you are in for a treat!
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Wow, that looks like new indeed. Better than my copy. I like this lens a lot. Very compact and nice IQ. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.
Thanks. Like new, indeed. Even the QC sticker is on and in flawless condition. All my lenses are in good condition, but this must be the best. I expect this to be better than M200. Should be in line with M85 and M120, but we'll see. So far looks promising.

Took the lens for a walk today as trees were wonderful after last nights snowfall. Lots of snow on the trees. Forgot to turn SR on, but atleast some of what I shot came out sharp enough How other brand users can live without it?
Tele was a totally wrong tool for todays weather. Really missed wide angle. I think it would have captured the feeling much better as everything was so white today.

K1ii & M150/3.5:

Panorama from 12 shots:

01-09-2019, 12:42 PM - 5 Likes   #7030
Pentaxian

Time's Running Out!
Pentax K-1 mII, M50f4 Macro
01-10-2019, 07:17 AM - 6 Likes   #7031
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

My M series primes

My collection as I previously promised. Taken with K1ii in crop mode and, as I don't have any M zooms, with a lens that is not to be mentioned here

M*300 has apparently seen some use over the years. The grip had been replaced by the shop before I bought it.

I think this is it for me. Don't expect to get more and probably try to sell some after I'm done with them on SIC, as it was only reason to get them.

Due to high sale taxes, which we need to pay even if we import used lenses from private sellers, the lenses are more expensive in Finland than elsewhere. In total all these lenses cost me 2016€ including posting. It's pretty much what I expected when I estimated that I would need to pay approximately average prize shown on PF lens reviews, if I use € instead of $. For most wanted lenses I needed to pay 50% extra to get them, but managed to close the gap on more common lenses. Below is the table of my lenses. The ones I don't have are in red. The months I have used them in SIC are in Finnish, as Excel doesn't transfer them into English in same format.

01-11-2019, 10:40 AM - 7 Likes   #7032
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With M 50mm f/1.4 in north Beaujolais (as in the wine) at the far end of 2018.

L’heure bleue
01-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #7033
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacchini Quote
With M 50mm f/1.4 in north Beaujolais (as in the wine) at the far end of 2018.
Lovely moody picture taken by you.
01-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #7034
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think this is it for me. Don't expect to get more
VERY nice set of M's!

I think your collection needs a second Pentax-M 28/2.8, as a spare of course. They're very scarce, I am told -- and I am selling a nice copy!
01-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #7035
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I think your collection needs a second Pentax-M 28/2.8, as a spare of course. They're very scarce, I am told -- and I am selling a nice copy!

I have noticed. However the temptation is much easier to resist than if you offered me f2 at the same price

Thanks for 150. It's really nice.