Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2019, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #7051
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I think the M200 is a pretty weak lens in general. I've owned two copies and while it can produce some good images it tends to be overly flat and the sharpness isn't too impressive especially given how hard it can be to get accurate focus with it. Doing some tests I've found my Tak 135 bayonet cropped to 200mm gives better results.
I guess you get what you pay for. It's quite inexpensive for 200mm. I was sceptic in advance, but my really liked my month with M200: SIC 2018 04 Pentax M200/4 | Flickr

It has it's flaws, but can still produce nice images.

01-12-2019, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #7052
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Of the As, I'd choose those that are clones of K glass (ie, 15f3.5, 50f1.2, 300f4) and any * lens.
A*300/4 is a clone of M*300/4. K is a different design. A rare case where M lens is better than K.
01-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #7053
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Right you are, iheiramo... I have no idea why I included the M*300 (one of my all time favorites) in that list!
01-13-2019, 04:20 PM - 2 Likes   #7054
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
Why do you all like the M's ?
Amazing build quality, great feeling of operation and depending on which one you get the IQ holds up really well today.
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Value. Not the sharpest lenses in Pentax catalogue, but the cheapest way to high quality IQ and in small paggage.
Rendering. When I bought my first M, the 50/1.7, I was blown away. Previously I had DA50/1.8 and the M made the world so much more beautiful.
Build quality. 40 years later they are still like new. Solid to handle and real pleasure to focus manually.
The control you have when you shoot manual. I want to make the decicions. I don't trust the camera anymore. Even when I have modern lens on, I keep camera on manual. Very often I also keep AF off. I don't want to pay for auto features that I don't use.
I started my journey into manual lens land with a Sony mirrorless and chose Pentax M lenses due to cost, size, and excellent image quality.
All of this.

The M series of K mount lenses continue to perform well on digital bodies. For me, I prefer the traditional approach to photography, and take my time. Compose. Focus. Meter. Set the aperture and shutter speed. make an exposure.

With digital we get the instant feedback on our efforts, which is great. No waiting until the roll is fully exposed, then send it off for developing, or do it at home if one had a darkroom.

But I still like the deliberate and intentional way of making an image in a fully manual manner.

. . . . . . . if I were starting over with a K-1 (+/- mII), I'd choose either K-series lenses or A-series. Of the As, I'd choose those that are clones of K glass (ie, 15f3.5, 50f1.2, 300f4) and any * lens. This selection is indeed larger and heavier, sometimes by a lot, compared to the Ms, but IQ and balance on the FF DSLR is often better.
I actually started doing just that Jason. I'm focusing on A series Pentax lenses, and won't exclude other brands that have an A setting with and aperture ring. Having the ability to set the shutter speed and the aperture without taking my eye away from the viewfinder being the greatest advantage over the M lenses.

But I will likely keep all my M lenses.

01-13-2019, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #7055
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
It's actually a sport, but I have no idea what it's called in English. Nothing major, but there are some competitions. But if you want weird, check out the reindeer racing

Reindeer Racing in Inari 2016 - YouTube
They call it Skijoring in Montana, Colorado, Idaho, etc.

01-14-2019, 05:49 AM - 2 Likes   #7056
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

M50/4 & K1ii:

01-16-2019, 02:16 AM - 4 Likes   #7057
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One more from French countryside (north Beaujolais) with 50/1.4

Foggy sunset

01-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #7058
Pentaxian

I think the M200 is a pretty weak lens in general. I've owned two copies and while it can produce some good images it tends to be overly flat and the sharpness isn't too impressive especially given how hard it can be to get accurate focus with it. Doing some tests I've found my Tak 135 bayonet cropped to 200mm gives better results.
From the brief time I had an M 200mm f/4 I remember it having good colours but poor sharpness and very bad fringing. The K I have now is much better, though I use such long lenses so infrequently it's hard to justify keeping any around. I think I paid €18 for the K though.
01-17-2019, 09:04 PM - 3 Likes   #7059
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

M135 on K3
01-19-2019, 04:22 AM - 3 Likes   #7060
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMC Pentax M.. f 5.6 ... 400mm

Photos of my SMC M 400 mm lens, and the stagger plate I made to give a balanced mount on the tripod. Plus one sample image.
Lens mounted on a K30. ( The two photos of the lens and K30 were taken with a Nikon D90 ).
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
NIKON D90  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D90  Photo 
01-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #7061
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
stagger plate I made to give a balanced mount on the tripod
Nice work - I think something like this is pretty essential.
I've started making mine out of polycarbonate - quicker and easier to work with than alloy/alu. This a custom one for a "nestar"
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G1  Photo 
01-19-2019, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #7062
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I mount my K-3 + M400 on a LensMaster RH-2 gimbal head on my trusty Manfrotto 055B bought back in the early 1980's. With the battery grip, it sits naturally like this, just slightly nose down. The small plate is as far back as it goes. There is a longer plate that I could use and get it to sit 100% horizontally, but I don't like it as much as this. It ends up interfering with focusing.

The knob on the far side for up/down locking is completely disengaged allowing the rig to sit where it wants. The photo was taken with my iPhone. One can tell from the quality.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
01-19-2019, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #7063
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Nice work - I think something like this is pretty essential.
I've started making mine out of polycarbonate - quicker and easier to work with than alloy/alu. This a custom one for a "nestar"
For me in this case, aluminium would always be the material of choice, considering the weight of the camera and lens. As a retired engineer with a well equipped workshop, what else would I do !
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D90  Photo 
01-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #7064
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a shed with a drill press
01-21-2019, 09:14 PM - 7 Likes   #7065
Pentaxian

M 35/2.8