Show Printable Version 8836 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2019, 05:54 AM   #7096
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
K-3 & M 85/2.8

How do you get a fawn to come so close to your house Matt?

02-25-2019, 06:58 AM - 2 Likes   #7097
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
M150/3.5 & K5:

02-25-2019, 07:12 AM   #7098
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I am guessing that this is a through the window shot. The fawn is outside and looking inside the house at the cat, and Matt is out of sight with his camera. It is not difficult to get deer to approach our house so closely because this is where they graze upon our flower beds!

Last edited by ivanvernon; 02-25-2019 at 07:13 AM. Reason: addition
02-25-2019, 09:00 AM - 6 Likes   #7099
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I am guessing that this is a through the window shot. The fawn is outside and looking inside the house at the cat, and Matt is out of sight with his camera. It is not difficult to get deer to approach our house so closely because this is where they graze upon our flower beds!
We have a lot of deer in and around town and see them in the yard regularly (and I'm not out in the countryside, I live on a city street in a small town).
This particular one seems to be an orphan and has kind of adopted us. She has been solo and around our block since fall. For whatever reason she seems to have chosen our yard and house as her regular hangout and sleeping area. It must be my inattention to manicuring my yard that gives her something to eat on the South facing side of the house that melts out a little. We also have a covered storage area that is snowless and faces East and gets some warm sunshine in the morning. She usually sleeps in that storage area and the window in the photo looks out to that area.
We are trying to do the right thing and don't feed her so she won't become too dependent on us. We just try to work around her, hoping she will survive the winter and not attract any large predators (lions). We keep the dog leashed when we come and go so she doesn't get harassed.
It drives the dog crazy but Frida the cat likes to hang out with her. It's pretty cute!

Last edited by mattb123; 02-25-2019 at 11:42 AM.
02-25-2019, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #7100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have a lot of deer in and around town and see them in the yard regularly (and I'm not out in the countryside, I live on a city street in a small town).
This particular one seems to be an orphan and has kind of adopted us. She has been solo and around our block since fall. For whatever reason she seems to have chosen our yard and house as her regular hangout and sleeping area. It must be my inattention to manicuring my yard that gives her something to eat on the South facing side of the house that melts out a little. We also have a covered storage area that is snowless and faces East and gets some warm sunshine in the morning. She usually sleeps in that storage area and the window in the photo looks out to that area.
We are trying to do the right thing and don't feed her so he won't become too dependent on us. We just try to work around her, hoping she will survive the winter and not attract any large predators (lions). We keep the dog leashed when we come and go so she doesn't get harassed.
It drives the dog crazy but Frida the cat likes to hang out with her. It's pretty cute!
Nice. I love the back story!
02-25-2019, 10:10 AM - 4 Likes   #7101
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

M50/1.7 & K1ii:

02-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #7102
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

We are trying to do the right thing and don't feed her so he won't become too dependent on us. We just try to work around her, hoping she will survive the winter and not attract any large predators (lions). We keep the dog leashed when we come and go so she doesn't get harassed.
Awesome story Matt.

We live in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains, on the South Fork of the Stillaguamish River. Lots of wildlife, including deer. They love to eat the rose bushes, and fruit trees, so we have taken measures to keep them away from the flowers and trees. Still, they hang very close to the house, but would have to come up on the porch to be close to a window.

I do have many shots of them a few feet from the porch, though none with an M lens, so I won’t share them here.

02-25-2019, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #7103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome story Matt.

We live in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains, on the South Fork of the Stillaguamish River. Lots of wildlife, including deer. They love to eat the rose bushes, and fruit trees, so we have taken measures to keep them away from the flowers and trees. Still, they hang very close to the house, but would have to come up on the porch to be close to a window.

I do have many shots of them a few feet from the porch, though none with an M lens, so I won’t share them here.
Thanks. Yeah, they can be a pest sometimes too but we are taking pity on this little one. She is a special case.
She likes to hang out on our next door neighbor's porch too.
02-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #7104
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m not on Facebook so can’t see it.
02-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #7105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m not on Facebook so can’t see it.
Direct image link. (also not an M lens image)
02-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #7106
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Direct image link. (also not an M lens image)
That’s pretty cool Matt. Those deer are so tame, and so bold. Here they would never come on our porch, just to the edge, and if we open the door they walk away.

Last summer I caught several going after the fruit trees. The motion activated sprinklers didn’t activate for some reason. I tried to chase them away but they only walked a few feet away and pretended to graze the lawn, ignoring me.

I went into the house, was going to grab a pistol to scare them away. Before I got to the gun safe I noticed a bunch of firecrackers and Roman candles, so I took them instead. The firecrackers only shooed them a dozen feet further.

Finally I lit a couple of the Roman candles and that finally worked. I chased them with the Roman candles all the way into the woods by the river, and then put up a temporary deer fence around the orchard.
02-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #7107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For those who are interested, in the deer world, tulips are candy but daffodils are nasty.
02-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #7108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
M150/3.5 & K5:
You are doing marvelous things with that M 150!

- Craig
02-25-2019, 11:37 PM   #7109
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
You are doing marvelous things with that M 150!
Thanks for selling it. I'll come up with monthly wrap up of single in challenge in few days, but can already hint that I've been really happy with it
02-26-2019, 01:19 AM   #7110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
M50/1.7 & K1ii:

Very nice, especially the clean, crisp colours. I'd love to be able to use my M 50/1.7 on FF digital.