Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2020, 05:00 AM - 2 Likes   #7966
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
January Single In Challenge 2020 with K1ii & M150/3.5

27th

Building a new sled for winter windsurfing. I'm seriously behind my intended schedule, but so is winter. I thought I had posted a shot of my first version last year, but apparently we has a theme day when took my first ride with it. Apparently my skate design wasn't very fast, so bought blades for this version. Planning to have this designed to use either with snowboard or with 3 blades depending on conditions.

K1ii M150/3.5 ISO800 f3.5 1/60:

01-27-2020, 11:43 PM   #7967
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
At this time of the year we should have, but southcoast of Finland is having the warmest January in recorded history. The autumn just keeps on going. So no snow and the ice cover that we had from the short cold periods has melted. Kind of hope we can skip the winter altogether and go straight to the spring.

In the north there's full winter going and plenty of snow. More than typical. Weather forecast look strange as for today it says +5 on south coast and -31 in some parts of the Lapland. This country has split in two totally different parts.
We actually do have snow on the ground in Iowa, but it is the warmest winter in memory. It is January and temps hover around 30-34 degrees F during the day. Only somewhat cooler at night. Unseasonably warm for this time of year here.

The past several winters we have been cooler than normal as the jet stream adversely affected winter weather in the Midwest U.S. But this year we are warm.
01-28-2020, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #7968
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
26th

My son made us sunday lunch.

K1ii M150/3.5 ISO800 f3.5 1/60:
I'm hungry, and I just finished breakfast ...
01-28-2020, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #7969
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

28th - Upside down theme

Not a strike of genius, but atleast on theme. We bought a new phone today for the son, as the screen on the old one started to fail. Old one lasted year and a half, which seems to be quite typical lifetime for his phones, so better to stick to the cheaper models

K1ii M150/3.5 ISO1600 f3.5 1/60:

01-28-2020, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #7970
Pentaxian

M 80-200/4.5 (Ver 1)
01-29-2020, 12:43 PM   #7971
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

29th

I was down in basement building my sled all evening, so that's all I got. Missing one nut for my mast foot connections. For some reason I thought one paggage of 4 would be enough. I guess I need an other visit to hardware store

K1ii M150/3.5 ISO100 f8 0,7s 1" extension tube on tripod:

There's still some work with the steering unit and the front blades, but design is there. I borrowed the truck from my longboard, but that doesn't feel like permanent solution.

01-30-2020, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #7972
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

30th

Rain outside. An other evening building sled, so I keep milking it.

K1ii M150/3.5 ISO100 f8 0.7s on tripod:

Got the first version ready. I didn't break when I stepped on it. Didn't even feel bad to jump a little on it. That's the way it was supposed to behave based on my calculations after I added some aluminium to support the bottom side, but you can't be sure with something as unrealiable as wood. Front structure feels real solid, but my support for rear blade isn't solid enough. Based on just standing on the board, I need to redesign it before I can take the board to test ride. Also that missing nut from yesterday's shot solved itself. The hole closest to truck is too close and mast foot cannot be attached there, so I can move that nut to one that is missing it

01-31-2020, 05:16 AM - 2 Likes   #7973
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

31st

B&W to finish the month.

K1ii M150/3.5 ISO1600 f4 1/60:
01-31-2020, 06:07 AM - 2 Likes   #7974
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

So a month is done and time to do wrap up. Last week the weather has been poor and I didn't really pay attention to shooting. Just shoot something at the end of the day. Made me feel like I've been lazy in my participation this month, but in retrospect I was doing great mid month. I didn't miss any days and there is also good divercity in my album so I think this was a good month in total.

The lens, M150/3.5, is one of the better ones in the series. This and M120 are true hidden gems. When I started looking into M series I read a lot PF reviews and both of these lenses have lower score and reviews are missing the praise these deserve, so I kind of missed them. Finland is a small market with limited selection of gear available. I remember there was one M150 on sale for quite long, but I didn't pay attention to it, due to week reviews, and let it go. A mistake I have regreted after I decided to get full set of M's. In the end had to order one thru PF from US.

M150 is quite compact lens, significally smaller than M200, so it's easy to carry in camera bag in case you need longer reach. It's pretty sharp and most noteworthly it's reasonably sharp wide open. I shot a lot wide open this month. Way more than usually, as I didn't need to worry about sharpness. Yet stopping down to f5.6 give some extra like typical for lenses this age. Some vignetting wide open on FF, but not too severe. Easy to correct in PP if needed. Some fringing wide open, but on the better side on this respect as well when compared to other M's. Lens is also a pleasure to use as always

Really hard to pull out anything negative. MFD is bit long, but also that is typical for M series. Might be a size thing. Anyway it would be nice to get bit closer without extension tubes.

I really haven't made up my mind so far which one is better M150 or M120, but it's clear that these are the best choises between M85 and M*300. Due to focal length M150 often seems to find it's place in my travel bag over M120, as it falls nicer between. Clearly a keeper, so my lens is off the market

Wide open:

f8:

I kept posting images daily on M club thought the raffle thing ended mid month. I'll continue SIC in February with M40, but probably cut back posting to wrap up and to those days I think I have something worthwhile, as I feel like I'm filling this club with spam. One just can't provide a masterpiece everyday
01-31-2020, 07:34 AM   #7975
Pentaxian

So a month is done and time to do wrap up. Last week the weather has been poor and I didn't really pay attention to shooting. Just shoot something at the end of the day. Made me feel like I've been lazy in my participation this month, but in retrospect I was doing great mid month. I didn't miss any days and there is also good divercity in my album so I think this was a good month in total.

The lens, M150/3.5, is one of the better ones in the series. This and M120 are true hidden gems. When I started looking into M series I read a lot PF reviews and both of these lenses have lower score and reviews are missing the praise these deserve, so I kind of missed them. Finland is a small market with limited selection of gear available. I remember there was one M150 on sale for quite long, but I didn't pay attention to it, due to week reviews, and let it go. A mistake I have regreted after I decided to get full set of M's. In the end had to order one thru PF from US.

M150 is quite compact lens, significally smaller than M200, so it's easy to carry in camera bag in case you need longer reach. It's pretty sharp and most noteworthly it's reasonably sharp wide open. I shot a lot wide open this month. Way more than usually, as I didn't need to worry about sharpness. Yet stopping down to f5.6 give some extra like typical for lenses this age. Some vignetting wide open on FF, but not too severe. Easy to correct in PP if needed. Some fringing wide open, but on the better side on this respect as well when compared to other M's. Lens is also a pleasure to use as always

Really hard to pull out anything negative. MFD is bit long, but also that is typical for M series. Might be a size thing. Anyway it would be nice to get bit closer without extension tubes.

I really haven't made up my mind so far which one is better M150 or M120, but it's clear that these are the best choises between M85 and M*300. Due to focal length M150 often seems to find it's place in my travel bag over M120, as it falls nicer between. Clearly a keeper, so my lens is off the market

Wide open:

f8:

I kept posting images daily on M club thought the raffle thing ended mid month. I'll continue SIC in February with M40, but probably cut back posting to wrap up and to those days I think I have something worthwhile, as I feel like I'm filling this club with spam. One just can't provide a masterpiece everyday
Thanks for the review of the M150! I concur completely in that this is a lovely small lens that can be taken along without any problem and provides very decent quality. Here's a barn owl I shot with the M150/3.5 wide open a few weeks ago.

As a sidenote, I'm sorry, but as a woodworker I have to object to wood being called unreliable. Aluminium would be more unreliable and prone to fatigue without prior warning. Pick the right type of wood (or laminate wood) and size it appropriately, and it can be exposed to a lot of dynamic forces without any problem. Basically, if it doesn't break on the first stress test, it will never break. Can't say that for most metals, and definitetely not for consumer grade aluminium.
01-31-2020, 08:15 AM   #7976
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
As a sidenote, I'm sorry, but as a woodworker I have to object to wood being called unreliable.
Sorry for that. Just don't have complete trust on my FEA with wood as I mainly deal with steel in work. It's difficult to calculate because as an organic material sample variation is huge and have no experience on what young's modulus and design strength to use.
01-31-2020, 10:37 AM   #7977
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do NOT consider your images spam. I rarely produce a decent photo, let alone a masterpiece.
01-31-2020, 02:35 PM - 3 Likes   #7978
Pentaxian

snow enough!

SMC 50mm f/2 on K-200d

[IMG][/IMG]
02-03-2020, 01:31 AM - 3 Likes   #7979
Pentaxian

M 100mm f/2.8

Segovia
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

3A
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
02-03-2020, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #7980
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After viewing other's examples last month using the M 150mm f3.5 I thought it time to take my copy out and give it a go on my K-1 - quick shot of our shy Corgi with flash bounced off the ceiling. Definitely a sharp lens, will have to use it more often.