Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2020, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #8011
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by djb47 Quote
That would make for a great juxtaposition shot mroeder75.
Give me a day or two. I heard the bank president on the radio talking about the hitching post and EV charging station after I discovered the EV charging station. The new bank building just opened in the past week I haven't actually seen the hitching post, so I'll have to look. I haven't seen a horse tied up just yet, but the Amish don't have radios either so news travels slower to them. I might talk one of my Amish friends into bringing a horse up here, for fun, which could take weeks. They don't ordinarily drive their buggies 7-miles into town since there is smaller closer town for them to go to. But the hitching post was intended for the Amish. Pretty smart banking move since some of the Amish are well off, even though they absolutely don't show it.

Talk about a green revolution, we have a mini-one in Manchester, Iowa. Be patient, and I'll get pic(s).

Last edited by mroeder75; 02-26-2020 at 12:05 AM.
02-26-2020, 08:14 AM   #8012
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
End of February and spring should start, but it looks like winter is finally arriving. There has been many storms lately and it has pushed a lot of water into baltic ocean. Water height have been near records lately on our shores. Visited a regular shooting spot today and never seen water this high before thought it's already going down.

K1ii & M40:

My favourite is the sandy shoreline.
02-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #8013
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One from the vault, Nov. 2013. M28/3.5 on *ist D:
02-27-2020, 04:49 PM   #8014
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
One from the vault, Nov. 2013. M28/3.5 on *ist D:
What's all that green stuff on the tree branches. We don't have any of that in November! (or now for that matter) and our lawn has some awful disease that makes it all white.

02-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #8015
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
our lawn has some awful disease that makes it all white.
I've heard rumors of that - sounds awful!
Fall always arrives late back in N. Texas, with peak colors (if any) at the end of November. By Christmas, everything was pretty much brown. Then a couple months later in Feb. you'd see the first of the blooming trees.
02-28-2020, 12:05 AM   #8016
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Give me a day or two. I heard the bank president on the radio talking about the hitching post and EV charging station after I discovered the EV charging station. The new bank building just opened in the past week I haven't actually seen the hitching post, so I'll have to look. I haven't seen a horse tied up just yet, but the Amish don't have radios either so news travels slower to them. I might talk one of my Amish friends into bringing a horse up here, for fun, which could take weeks. They don't ordinarily drive their buggies 7-miles into town since there is smaller closer town for them to go to. But the hitching post was intended for the Amish. Pretty smart banking move since some of the Amish are well off, even though they absolutely don't show it.

Talk about a green revolution, we have a mini-one in Manchester, Iowa. Be patient, and I'll get pic(s).
It will be a few months. The EV charging station is not complete. The hitching post isn't yet here.
02-29-2020, 04:03 AM - 6 Likes   #8017
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had a good shooting today with M40 to finish my SIC month.

02-29-2020, 04:46 AM - 8 Likes   #8018
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

February Single In Challenge 2020 with K1ii & M40/2.8

Wrap up time!!! Often last day is just something quick get the month done, but even that turned out to be excellent shooting session this time

The lens this month was the tiny M40 pancake. Almost too small for manual focus, as the focus ring is so small that it's sometimes hard to get hand in right place. On the other side it almost turns K1ii into pocket camera. It doesn't quite fit in my winter jackets pocket, but it's close enough that I had to try it. Never before I have imagined to do that. Build quality is solid M level stuff AKA very good. Pancake design unfortunately effect MFD. It is so long that on FF camera this doesn't take close ups without extension tubes.

Both 50's and 35's are sharper, offer more versatility in shooting with theis shorter MFD and you can find faster lenses in them. M40 also vignettes more and in reality is only 1cm shorter. For the first time I corrected the light fall off almost daily. Still I like this lens a lot and definitely want to keep it and plan to use also in future. There is something special in rendering that produce lovely results. Tiny format is also fun to carry around and casual travel shots are what this lens is best suited. It can take reasonable portraits, landscapes and product shots of reasonably sized targets. If need be the sharpness wide open with K1ii is good enough to look at in screen size. Stopped down to f4 certainly nothing to complain about.

For me this lens is a keeper and it will be my travel light lens when I don't want to carry more than one lens and camera. Wouldn't necessary recoment for the first manual lens, but it's a fun toy when you already have faster and sharper lenses. On March I give M100/2.8 a go with K1ii.

Wide open:

f4:

f5.6

f8:

02-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #8019
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Wrap up time!!! Often last day is just something quick get the month done, but even that turned out to be excellent shooting session this time

The lens this month was the tiny M40 pancake. Almost too small for manual focus, as the focus ring is so small that it's sometimes hard to get hand in right place. On the other side it almost turns K1ii into pocket camera. It doesn't quite fit in my winter jackets pocket, but it's close enough that I had to try it. Never before I have imagined to do that. Build quality is solid M level stuff AKA very good. Pancake design unfortunately effect MFD. It is so long that on FF camera this doesn't take close ups without extension tubes.

Both 50's and 35's are sharper, offer more versatility in shooting with theis shorter MFD and you can find faster lenses in them. M40 also vignettes more and in reality is only 1cm shorter. For the first time I corrected the light fall off almost daily. Still I like this lens a lot and definitely want to keep it and plan to use also in future. There is something special in rendering that produce lovely results. Tiny format is also fun to carry around and casual travel shots are what this lens is best suited. It can take reasonable portraits, landscapes and product shots of reasonably sized targets. If need be the sharpness wide open with K1ii is good enough to look at in screen size. Stopped down to f4 certainly nothing to complain about.

For me this lens is a keeper and it will be my travel light lens when I don't want to carry more than one lens and camera. Wouldn't necessary recoment for the first manual lens, but it's a fun toy when you already have faster and sharper lenses. On March I give M100/2.8 a go with K1ii.

Wide open:

f4:

f5.6

f8:

You had a good SIC month. Many really good shots, my friend!
02-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #8020
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You had a good SIC month. Many really good shots, my friend!

Thanks. It just seems to happen with M40. It's not the lens to impress in test shart, but both, FF and APSC, months with it has been really good. Just realized that I even forgot to mention weak corners, especially with wider apertures, in my wrap up. That probably tells how little it ment to me during the month
03-02-2020, 08:36 AM - 4 Likes   #8021
Pentaxian

M 50mm f/1.4 on the K-3

Churros
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
03-02-2020, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #8022
Pentaxian

SMC Pentax M 28mm f/2.8 on Samsung NX100.

03-02-2020, 12:19 PM   #8023
Pentaxian

=====
Winter's Bone
I'm not sure the title is appropriate or not, but this is a 'bare bones' winter scene in Arkansas. No snow or nothing.
Pentax K-1 mII, M28f3.5

Last edited by jcdoss; 03-04-2020 at 11:58 AM.
03-08-2020, 07:31 AM - 3 Likes   #8024
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Time to pump this thread up, as it was about slip out of first page on my participated threads listing

This month I'm running SIC with M100/2.8. Some could still remember how I was unsatisfied with it's sharpness about three years ago, which lead to all kinds of trouble. At first I got M85 and M120 to replace it and then about 10 lens more as I already got so many of the M primes that I could just as well have them all
That was with K5. On K1ii the sharpness has not been an issue so far. I've noticed this before, that K1ii get these not so sharp lenses really shine. On saturday we were whole family at the stable to see our horse again and like usual I came out with plenty of frames shot.

03-08-2020, 07:37 AM - 5 Likes   #8025
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

We also had perfect calm sunday morning which lead to a walk by the sea.