Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #976

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
I clicked through the first 10 pages of this thread and had no choice but to join the forums in order to say that these photos are amazing. Of course, that wasn't the only reason I joined...my first post (awaiting mod approval) is over in the Beginner's Corner, asking how on earth do you all get such bright bold crisp colors like this??? I have a K200D and sure hope that it's just some form of user deficiency, rather than equipment.
Welcome to the forum and I'm sure everyone will appreciate your kind comment. You will see a lot of talent here. You can learn a ton as well. Stick around and join in. Having your photos critiqued always helps one improve. You will find constructive judgments here. Post some photos!!

08-27-2009, 08:03 AM   #977

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
It is absolutely important to pay attention to animals when photographing them. It is essential to know how to read the animal's behaviour. It is essential to always give the animal the impression that he/she is in charge, and you are yielding to him/her.

I was retreating slowly and paying strict attention to his actions. His tail was swatting flies, not lifted at any time. No head movement other than the odd fast shake to move insects away. No change of pace during the entire period. I was never closer than the distance when he first met us. I was gradually increasing the distance.

Note the head shot was taken with 680mm of lens. The article mentions that the victim was 5 meters (16+ feet) from the bison, and approached from the rear. Surprising any wild animal is not a good idea.
Yes, good judgment of the situation. It doesn't sound like he was too concerned about you. Great shots by the way.
08-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #978

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
I clicked through the first 10 pages of this thread and had no choice but to join the forums in order to say that these photos are amazing. Of course, that wasn't the only reason I joined...my first post (awaiting mod approval) is over in the Beginner's Corner, asking how on earth do you all get such bright bold crisp colors like this??? I have a K200D and sure hope that it's just some form of user deficiency, rather than equipment.
Sorry, I need to add to my previous comment. You asked "How on earth do you all get such bright bold crisp colors like this?"

Well in this thread you will find 2 things in common:

1. Good photographers

2. A lot of prime lenses being used. The M series lenses were for the most part Primes.
08-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #979
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From the M28/2.8:

08-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #980

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
From the M28/2.8:

I love the landscape shot Marc.
08-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #981
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From the M28/2.8:

I've visited Colorado - sometimes for extended periods - but I guess one has to live there to be able to walk out the door and get shots like these.

Although #3 reminds me of Taos.
08-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #982
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All three are Taos :-) The peacock shot was right outside the door of the B&B where my wife & I stayed last weekend, though.

08-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #983
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All three are Taos :-) The peacock shot was right outside the door of the B&B where my wife & I stayed last weekend, though.
Well, they're all beautiful, Marc. One of the wonderful, subtle pleasures of looking at photographs on this forum is when I see a shot and I know - I just KNOW - I have been there or near there.

Should have recognized the prarie shot - Riders of the Purple Sage.
08-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #984
Forum Member

Two more from the M 50mm 1.7.
Another thing I love about this lens, is that it has no PF.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo   
08-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #985

100mm f2.8

I have my eye on an SMC M 100mm f2.8 that is up for private sale. It is Mint++ with original lens caps. Can someone give me an idea what they go for $$$. I do not want to over pay. Also, how does it compare to the 85mm as far as build quality and portrait work. Is it a bit too long. Is the 85mm preferred. I want an 85mm but might have to settle for this 100mm. Thanks in advance.
08-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #986
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Marc Sabatella: From the M28/2.8:

Marc, I really like the first one here. Did you use a graduated ND to get such even metering throughout that shot?
08-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #987
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Canada_Rockies: It is absolutely important to pay attention to animals when photographing them.

Yes!

QuoteQuote:
Canada_Rockies: Surprising any wild animal is not a good idea.
Yes! But it can happen by accident, at least with moose in my experience. They can be amazingly quiet and almost invisible until, all of a sudden, you stumble into their comfort boundaries and WHAM! To experience the snorting of a full-grown bull, in the rut season, is a heart-pounding (as well as heart challenging) experience--it was not something I planned.
08-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #988
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rockdoctor Quote
I have my eye on an SMC M 100mm f2.8 that is up for private sale. It is Mint++ with original lens caps. Can someone give me an idea what they go for $$$. I do not want to over pay. Also, how does it compare to the 85mm as far as build quality and portrait work. Is it a bit too long. Is the 85mm preferred. I want an 85mm but might have to settle for this 100mm. Thanks in advance.
A Mint++ M100/2.8 with correct caps should be $100 - $125 in a private sale - maybe a bit more. It is your choice how much money shiny paint is worth to you. I like shiny paint.

I bought mine from a Forum member for $100 with perfect optics and Mint- cosmetics, but incorrect Pentax caps - and it rarely leaves my MESuper, and does very well Green Button metered on my K10D. Color rendition on this lens is better than typical Pentax and it is sharp across the entire frame, even wide open. By f5.6 you can cut yourself and optimal is supposed to be f/11 (like every other lens).

Here is the link to the Lens Review entry on M100/2.8. I noted that the individual reviews in this case are moslty by esteemend regulars on this Forum whose opinions I judge to be reliable.

Forum lens reviews - M100/2.8

Probably not the VERY BEST "Portrait Lens" Pentax ever made, but considering the current cost, size, weight and excellent optics - versus the K105/2.8 or any of the 85's - it is in my opinion a great value.
08-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #989
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Yes!

Yes! But it can happen by accident, at least with moose in my experience. They can be amazingly quiet and almost invisible until, all of a sudden, you stumble into their comfort boundaries and WHAM! To experience the snorting of a full-grown bull, in the rut season, is a heart-pounding (as well as heart challenging) experience--it was not something I planned.
Moose are the worst animals to encounter suddenly. They are unpredictable and as grouchy as any animal I have ever seen.
08-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #990
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Moose

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Moose are the worst animals to encounter suddenly. They are unpredictable and as grouchy as any animal I have ever seen.
I once was portaging northbound through the Quetico Provincial Park - wearing an 88 lb. aluminum Grumman as a hat - and encountered a southbound moose.

I sidestepped off the trail, crotched the canoe tip in a tree, and stood as still as I could until it passed. I was mentally prepared for some kind of an encounter, which fortunately did not occur.

Alas, the camera was in the Granite Bag carried by my bowman.