Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 10:15 PM   #1456
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice pickup on the M85/2 at a great price, deadwolfbones!

Here's a shot from a couple of hours ago, from what is probably my least used lens: the M200/4. I attended a (mostly) classical concert by some students at one of the schools where I teach, and while I could have been close enough to use my shorter lenses, the shutter sound would have been distracting because it was so quiet. So I used the 200 to gain me some distance. And as usually turns out to be the case, any time there's room for a 200, there's also enough light for f/4. I actually shot 1/180", which *never* happens in jazz clubs even at f/2.8. Anyhow, here's one of my students performing a song I encouraged/assigned her to write:

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 03-31-2010 at 10:43 PM.
04-01-2010, 01:56 AM   #1457
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had my little cousin over, who was obsessed with posing

Had the M 85mm on hand for a quicky snapshot of her.... shot RAW as usuall as of late

F/2.8

Certainly not my usual bokeh filled eyes pop out shot with the M 85mm but hey it captured the moment quite well on the fly

Last edited by yeatzee; 04-01-2010 at 10:18 AM.
04-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #1458
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Picked up the M85/2 today. Excited.
Congrats! I love this lens more than my DA 70 Ltd.
I am also excited today....my "new" K 35mm F3.5 arrived this morning.

Kind regards
.lars
04-01-2010, 03:18 AM   #1459
Veteran Member

Another Pentaxian close to where I live just acquired the M 28mm F2.0. As this is a very rare lens I was eager to test it.

I have not done any thorough comparisons but my impression is that this lens has high resolution but average contrast. When shooting outdoors my K 28mm F3.5 gave better results....more pop, more (micro)contrast, more saturation. So, the pics from the K28mm F3.5 appeared sharper even though the M 28mm F2 is known to have higher resolution.

When shooting indoors the M 28mm F2 was indeed an excellent lens. It's lovely for whole body portraits, even wide open, and the bokeh is wonderful (certainly better than the K 28mm F3.5). It's a perfect low light lens as the "average" contrast prevents noise and also provides a pleasant rendering of skin tones. It's extremely comfortable to use, very nice feeling when twisting the focus ring and the size of the lens is perfect, not too big and not too small.

Usually I choose K-lenses instead of M-lenses, but I will definitely go for the M 28mm F2 and not K 28mm F2.....just like I chose the M 85mm F2 instead of the K 85mm F1.8 and when getting a 300mm it will be the M*300mm and not the K 300mm.

Kind regards
.lars

04-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #1460
Veteran Member

M 85mm F/2.8

and another

04-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #1461
Site Supporter

I like your capture of her expression and emotion in this image.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

Here's a shot from a couple of hours ago, from what is probably my least used lens: the M200/4. I attended a (mostly) classical concert by some students at one of the schools where I teach, and while I could have been close enough to use my shorter lenses, the shutter sound would have been distracting because it was so quiet. So I used the 200 to gain me some distance. And as usually turns out to be the case, any time there's room for a 200, there's also enough light for f/4. I actually shot 1/180", which *never* happens in jazz clubs even at f/2.8. Anyhow, here's one of my students performing a song I encouraged/assigned her to write:

04-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #1462

cant believe i can get this much sharpness at 1/45 with my 50mm 1.7

04-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #1463
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Here's a shot from a couple of hours ago, from what is probably my least used lens: the M200/4. I attended a (mostly) classical concert by some students at one of the schools where I teach, and while I could have been close enough to use my shorter lenses, the shutter sound would have been distracting because it was so quiet. So I used the 200 to gain me some distance. And as usually turns out to be the case, any time there's room for a 200, there's also enough light for f/4. I actually shot 1/180", which *never* happens in jazz clubs even at f/2.8.
Great shot from an underappreciated lens. I use that lens outdoors a good deal, but your focus skills indoors at F4 are impressive. For ease of focus, I tend to go with the 135/2.5 (at F/4) and crop when I need to maintain my distance indoors. You caught the perfect moment, too.
04-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #1464
Veteran Member

+1.... you stopped that moment dead and captured it!

great angle too!
04-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #1465
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Marc Sabatella: Here's a shot from a couple of hours ago, from what is probably my least used lens: the M200/4. I attended a (mostly) classical concert by some students at one of the schools where I teach, and while I could have been close enough to use my shorter lenses, the shutter sound would have been distracting because it was so quiet. So I used the 200 to gain me some distance. And as usually turns out to be the case, any time there's room for a 200, there's also enough light for f/4. I actually shot 1/180", which *never* happens in jazz clubs even at f/2.8. Anyhow, here's one of my students performing a song I encouraged/assigned her to write:
Beautiful! I can feel the music right through my monitor!
04-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #1466
Veteran Member

Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 85mm F2

Hey Jay Sherman, I just read your review of the M 85 2.0 one more time--this time it did me in--I ordered the little Bambino, from Rome, earlier today.

Best!

Ernest
04-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #1467
Veteran Member

thanks for reminding me to write a review
04-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #1468
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
+1.... you stopped that moment dead and captured it!

great angle too!
Thanks for all the nice comments!

Funny thing about this shot is, the song lasted only three minutes, and even from as far back as I stood, I was still *very* self-conscious about clicking the shutter (this from someone who has clicked shutters in jazz clubs thousands upon thousands of times with barely a second though). I took a grand total of *two* shots, and this was the first of them. The second was technically fine, but less interesting in terms of expression. I already knew from chimping I had a keeper right off the bat, so I didn't even bother trying again.

It helps that despite the fact it was an original of hers being heard by most for the first time ever (and it's a *really* catchy song - a great first effort), I knew the song by heart from our lessons, and knew exactly where the best moments to click would be. So I had an unfair advantage. But I'd like to think I've learned a thing or two over those thousands of shots, and a sense of timing is probably one of them.

As for the angle, it was partially determined by my desire to back away to be less distracting - but also by the fact that I've been recovering from a cold and from pink eye and didn't want to sit in the main part of the hall. So I stood against a wall to the side. They moved the piano just before she went on, and I had to reposition a bit to be able to see the keys at all, but was happy to find a spot that worked. Unfortunately, it was difficult to avoid getting one of the listener's heads in the frame. I got luckier on the second try (the head is completely lost in the black piano), but this is still the better shot. And I'm too lazy to mess with cloning.
04-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #1469
Veteran Member

Congrats btw!im sure you will make the lense look good.... or rather the lens make you look good
04-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #1470
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
yeatzee: thanks for reminding me to write a review
A good Pentaxian should not need a reminder.

QuoteQuote:
yeatzee Congrats btw!im sure you will make the lense look good.... or rather the lens make you look good
Thank you---I'm trembling with anticipation already and its a long way between RI and Rome---patience, patience, patience!
« The K-Club! | - »