Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #1471
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
A good Pentaxian should not need a reminder.

Thank you---I'm trembling with anticipation already and its a long way between RI and Rome---patience, patience, patience!

Congrats!

I'm not kidding when I say that I seriously consider picking up a second copy whenever I see a good deal. They're not making them anymore, after all.

It's great to see more people getting into this lens. For a while it was very lonely being an M 85 shooter - no-one believed me when I said it rocked.

<-- find one!

04-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #1472
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

I'll add to the chorus - superb capture, the glass delivered, so did the photog.

04-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #1473
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

I'm not kidding when I say that I seriously consider picking up a second copy whenever I see a good deal. They're not making them anymore, after all.

Jay, a really good deal would be something around $100 or $130, which is the price that I consider or willing to pay for such a lens. the good thing about it is, eventhough that they are out of production, there seems to be an ample amount of supply of the lens in the used market. the only problem is that such demand could possibly boost or hike up it's existing average market price of $200/$250 to $300/$350 which is I think would be asking for too much. if ever that happens, the cheaper and very capable J-9s would be more of a better alternative or investment for a cost of only a $100 bucks.
04-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #1474
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Jay, a really good deal would be something around $100 or $130, which is the price that I consider or willing to pay for such a lens. the good thing about it is, eventhough that they are out of production, there seems to be an ample amount of supply of the lens in the used market. the only problem is that such demand could possibly boost or hike up it's existing average market price of $200/$250 to $300/$350 which is I think would be asking for too much. if ever that happens, the cheaper and very capable J-9s would be more of a better alternative or investment for a cost of only a $100 bucks.

The market doesn't really reflect that, though - for example the M 100 2.8 is much more plentiful than the M 85, and sells for $100-$130 these days. $100-$130 for a very nice copy of the M 85 f2 would be an incredible steal. I think anything around $200 is a pretty good deal, up to $250 is very fair, and up to $350 for an exceptional copy, if you really want it.

Also, my copy of the Multicoated J-9 wasn't as sharp from f/2 --> f/2.8 as my M 85 is, and the bokeh wasn't as good. J-9 is a nice lens, but it's not a direct replacement, IMO.

Last edited by jsherman999; 04-02-2010 at 05:18 PM.
04-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #1475
Veteran Member

opening of the rally season. the trusty smc-m (75-150/4) delivers again

more here:
http://nanok.is-a-geek.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=5827
04-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #1476
Veteran Member

The market doesn't really reflect that, though - for example the M 100 2.8 is much more plentiful than the M 85, and sells for $100-$130 these days. $100-$130 for a very nice copy of the M 85 f2 would be an incredible steal. I think anything around $200 is a pretty good deal, up to $250 is very fair, and up to $350 for an exceptional copy, if you really want it.

Also, my copy of the Multicoated J-9 wasn't as sharp from f/2 --> f/2.8 as my M 85 is, and the bokeh wasn't as good. J-9 is a nice lens, but it's not a direct replacement, IMO.

Yes, I do agree that it's not a direct replacement as both lenses are different from each other, if we are going to go direct lens for lens IQ rendering without the influence of post-processing. and both lenses seems to display different kind of specialty. both can do portraits but render differently. but for someone who is looking for a fast 85mm focal length lens at a cheap price, I think a J-9 would fit the bill pretty well. either way, both lenses are very nice to have.
04-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #1477
Veteran Member

If the criteria is just a decent fast 85 at a good price, the Samyang lenses being sold under a variety of names is a better deal still ("A"-capable 85/1.4 for under ~$250). But the M85/2 impresses me more in the images I see, plus it's the smallest and lightest of the three by a good margin (less than half the weight of the Samyang).

04-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #1478
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
opening of the rally season. the trusty smc-m (75-150/4) delivers again

I have to say that I think that guy in the grass there is friggin' crazy.

04-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #1479
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Is that a cigarette in his mouth?
04-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #1480
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Jay, Marc, & Pentaxor: I purchased the lens here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/95957-sale-pe...00mm-more.html

With all Paypal fees, and the "economical" (translation from the Italian @ Google) shipping, it totals out to about 280 US dollars. Certainly not a steal, and I knew this. But, what sold me was the description key in his ad which has the M85 2 as a "2b"--in other words:
2: Indistinguishable from new / Come nuovo, senza imballi
B: As new, no manufacturer’s warranty / Perfetto, ma senza garanzia

I have no problem paying $280 dollars for this lens in that kind of shape. This is what sold me--can anyone see if I missed interpreted his key? The reason I ask is this. I got home from work and looked at an e-mail he sent which has two shots of the lens. There is enough detail in the shots for me to see the lens is in no way meeting up to the description above: it has brassing and paint chips in significant quantities. That in itself is not a problem for me, but I'm pretty sure I can buy this lens elsewhere, closer to home, in that shape for a decent amount less.

As fate would have it, unexplainably, through Paypal, my credit card returned my payment. So, I need to resubmit a payment. So, now I am having second thoughts, and will e-mail him before sleeping tonight to see if he has an explanation for the discrepancy between what I am reading and what I am seeing.

I understand the Helios alternative well--I have been contemplating another 85mm for some time, but I really do not like the m42 setup out in the field. Also, as Marc points out, the small size and light weight of the M 85 is very attractive to my hiking needs. And Jay's point that the Helios really is not a replacement is, I think, on the money. So, I will buy an M85, I'm just no longer sure if it will be this one.
04-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #1481
Veteran Member

don't worry, I'm sure that he has made a big gopher tunnel.
04-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #1482
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

That puts a whole new meaning to whack a mole!
04-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #1483
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jay, Marc, & Pentaxor: I purchased the lens here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/95957-sale-pe...00mm-more.html

With all Paypal fees, and the "economical" (translation from the Italian @ Google) shipping, it totals out to about 280 US dollars. Certainly not a steal, and I knew this. But, what sold me was the description key in his ad which has the M85 2 as a "2b"--in other words:

I have no problem paying $280 dollars for this lens in that kind of shape. This is what sold me--can anyone see if I missed interpreted his key? The reason I ask is this. I got home from work and looked at an e-mail he sent which has two shots of the lens. There is enough detail in the shots for me to see the lens is in no way meeting up to the description above: it has brassing and paint chips in significant quantities. That in itself is not a problem for me, but I'm pretty sure I can buy this lens elsewhere, closer to home, in that shape for a decent amount less.

As fate would have it, unexplainably, through Paypal, my credit card returned my payment. So, I need to resubmit a payment. So, now I am having second thoughts, and will e-mail him before sleeping tonight to see if he has an explanation for the discrepancy between what I am reading and what I am seeing.

I understand the Helios alternative well--I have been contemplating another 85mm for some time, but I really do not like the m42 setup out in the field. Also, as Marc points out, the small size and light weight of the M 85 is very attractive to my hiking needs. And Jay's point that the Helios really is not a replacement is, I think, on the money. So, I will buy an M85, I'm just no longer sure if it will be this one.

Personally, if the lens is not really nice cosmetically, I wouldn't pay quite that much for it - but that's me. It may not make any difference to you, and it probably doesn't point to any optical problems with the lens... But you want to be really happy with your purchase.

You may just want to stay in the hunt for another copy, or offer $200 flat, shipped.

04-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #1484
Veteran Member

actually it's the J-9, the Helios is different and would had cost at what the M85 is selling for or even more so. sorry, I'm not really aware of how expensive the Helios can go beyond $300 in the used market (maybe double or triple), it depends on the demand and how outrageous some people sell their used copies.
I think performance and IQ-wise, the Helios is better for the same price as that of the M85. it is also an f1.5. as compared to f2 or half-stop faster. but it's an M42, which is not your preferred setup. may I ask why?

anyway, in fairness to the M85, it's size is really attractive. and it does seem to perform really good, especially when you are after resolution, sharpness and contrast. I didn't include bokeh because this seems to be subjective and differs, unless you are looking for that same specific bokeh that the FA77 could render and produce that specific pop or 3D image. but yet again, pop and 3D effect can also be achieved by the other fast 85s. the color maybe considered a plus for the M85, but this does not make the other 85's color dull nor unpleasant.

I almost considered buying an M85/2 last year (October IIRC), under Marc's suggestion. I could had pulled the trigger and got the lens, but I never did. I opted for something faster which was more ideal for portraiture and which has a more soft and less contrasty rendering.
04-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #1485
Veteran Member

Personally, if the lens is not really nice cosmetically, I wouldn't pay quite that much for it - but that's me. It may not make any difference to you, and it probably doesn't point to any optical problems with the lens... But you want to be really happy with your purchase.

You may just want to stay in the hunt for another copy, or offer $200 flat, shipped.

an M85 was selling for a lil over $200 last year on eBay. the lens was cosmetically very nice and looked well taken care of. it was actually the one Marc referred to when I was looking for an 85mm. I think a fellow forum member here could had bought that lens for sure.