Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 737 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2015, 03:06 PM - 3 Likes   #181

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had a great walk around with he 150-500 earlier. Here are a couple of of shots that I managed to grab before the dog starts to walk away farther lol.

05-16-2015, 04:26 PM - 3 Likes   #182
Veteran Member

First time ever shooting my Bigma...

I obviously need practice. My ISO was WAY too high and everything is a little grainy (I think I was skeptical about dropping shutter speed below 1/1000..); lighting wasn't the greatest and I always seemed to be in the wrong position.

Regardless, I had a blast walking around Assateague today.
There's much to learn with this new lens!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by UserAccessDenied; 05-16-2015 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Typo!
05-16-2015, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #183
Pentaxian

Oriental Magpie Robin taken on yesterday. K-S1 + Sigma 150-500mm.

05-16-2015, 11:11 PM   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
First time ever shooting my Bigma... I obviously need practice. My ISO was WAY too high and everything is a little grainy (I think I was skeptical about dropping shutter speed below 1/1000..); lighting wasn't the greatest and I always seemed to be in the wrong position. Regardless, I had a blast walking around Assateague today. There's much to learn with this new lens! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!
Good work for the first time out. I like the swallow with the nesting material shot. The lens looks like a good sharp copy, enjoy it!

05-17-2015, 04:56 AM   #185
Pentaxian

First time ever shooting my Bigma...

I obviously need practice. My ISO was WAY too high and everything is a little grainy (I think I was skeptical about dropping shutter speed below 1/1000..); lighting wasn't the greatest and I always seemed to be in the wrong position.

Regardless, I had a blast walking around Assateague today.
There's much to learn with this new lens!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!
Hello, I like your series too. I got the 150-500mm about 2 mths ago and right now still doing some trial and error step in order to get the sharp picture out from this lens. If ISO too high, you can try to use AV mode and set the ISO to around 800 to 1600. My K-S1 ISO 1600 still able to produce a good and lesser noise picture. Aperture from 5.6 upto 8 are still under the acceptable range.
05-17-2015, 05:13 AM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Good work for the first time out. I like the swallow with the nesting material shot. The lens looks like a good sharp copy, enjoy it!
Thanks!

---------- Post added 05-17-15 at 08:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Hello, I like your series too. I got the 150-500mm about 2 mths ago and right now still doing some trial and error step in order to get the sharp picture out from this lens. If ISO too high, you can try to use AV mode and set the ISO to around 800 to 1600. My K-S1 ISO 1600 still able to produce a good and lesser noise picture. Aperture from 5.6 upto 8 are still under the acceptable range.
Thank you!

I'm hoping to get back out tomorrow, it's raining on and off here today... (good reason for keeping the 55-300WR? lol)

I'm trying to keep aperture at F8 minimum, for now at least. I'll try dropping the shutter speed, but I'm reading a lot of this 1 divided by FL for minimum shutter... So including the crop factor I shouldn't shoot below 1/750. Now I know using OS1 will help as well as using a monopod. So maybe I'll keep dropping the speeds until I find my true minimum.

Hope to have some more posts here soon!

EDIT: Just a thought, and maybe I should search for another thread on this topic... But is the K-30 not an optimal body for this lens? Would the K-3 produce better results in low-light/ high ISO?
Or is there a particular Pentax body that is best for low-light stills?

I figured there may be quite a few for sale once the K-3ii is released this week!

Cheers!

Last edited by UserAccessDenied; 05-17-2015 at 05:20 AM.
05-17-2015, 07:04 AM   #187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 16mp sensors of the K-30 and K-5 I prefer for low light over the K-3 sensor that shows more grain earlier.
A little more noise reduction in post is needed on the K-3 when shooting at same ISO in my experience

The K-3 beats them in AF and ability to crop further with more detail, along with quicker performance.
These would be the reasons to buy the K-3, not better high ISO.

I've owned the K-5, K-30 and currently use K-3 and K-5iis and compared them to each other on a number of points.

05-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The 16mp sensors of the K-30 and K-5 I prefer for low light over the K-3 sensor that shows more grain earlier.
A little more noise reduction in post is needed on the K-3 when shooting at same ISO in my experience

The K-3 beats them in AF and ability to crop further with more detail, along with quicker performance.

I've owned the K-5, K-30 and currently use K-3 and K-5iis and compared them to each other on a number of points.
is the k-3II supposed to be better in low light than the k-3 ?
05-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #189
Veteran Member

Interesting...

I'm still shocked at the performance of the K-30!
I bought it for the price and the weather sealing, but fully expected the need to upgrade soon after. Not so much though.

It seems these bodies outperform the lenses at almost every attempt.
Which is nice because the Bigma wasn't cheap, lol.

I'd still like to get a second body eventually, but I'll likely wait til Black Friday this year and see how much I can get the K-3 for. Hopefully there will be some still available new from B&H or Adorama... If not, I'll wait for the Marketplace!

Thanks for the tips!
05-17-2015, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
is the k-3II supposed to be better in low light than the k-3 ?
There were rumours that a new sensor was going to be used but ultimately it seems they are using the same sensor so I don't expect there to be any difference in IQ.

I'm waiting for real world comparisons.
05-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #191
Veteran Member

There were rumours that a new sensor was going to be used but ultimately it seems they are using the same sensor so I don't expect there to be any difference in IQ.

I'm waiting for real world comparisons.
I hope with the pixel shifting that it will actually help with high ISO shots like in the night. Theoretically it could reduce the noise because the pixel shifting would cause it to cancel out. Or so I hope.
05-18-2015, 04:18 AM   #192
Pentaxian

I wouldn't count on it based on what I have been reading.
05-18-2015, 05:15 AM   #193
Veteran Member

Of these cameras, which has the best high ISO performance?

I'm considering a second body to accompany my K-30... Debating between the K-5iis and the K-3.

Any preferences for using with the Bigma?
05-18-2015, 05:49 AM   #194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of these cameras, which has the best high ISO performance?

I'm considering a second body to accompany my K-30... Debating between the K-5iis and the K-3.

Any preferences for using with the Bigma?
The K-5iis has a better looking high ISO image out of the camera, but the K-3 images can be made to look equally fine with only slight noise reduction in post.

The Bigma performs equally well on both bodies, neither gives any type of advantage.

The K-3 has better AF in all areas than K-5iis.

K-3 has faster performance than K-5iis.

If you like and use the focus peaking in K-30 you can only get it in K-3 not K-5iis.

At this point between the two I would go for K-3.

Btw these bodies are a big step above the K-30 so it will become the backup.
I think you will quickly prefer using these instead as your primary body even if they are a little heavier.
05-21-2015, 05:17 AM - 4 Likes   #195
Pentaxian

Blue-throated Bee-eater. The mating season look like hasn't over yet. Taken from K-S1 + Sigma 150-500mm.