Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2015, 07:09 AM   #361

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice shots! I really love that duck, perfect! Nice Leopard shot too!

A few new Grackle shots....I tried to stay at or below ISO 3200

Sorry about the missing leg.....Otis tore it off...said it "tasted like chicken!"

On the Cheater Branch

This one at ISO 6400 wasn't half bad...you can sometimes get a decent shot at 6400 or higher if you get lucky!

ISO 800 will get you some better detail!

Regards!

Thanks James. The Bigma is a very versatile lens.

---------- Post added 10-05-15 at 01:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oleksiy Quote
K-5 + Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 DG OS

Great shots Oleksiy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
That Black duck in flight is excellent. The others are fine as well.
Some Blue Heron shots with the Bigma.
500mm f9 1/125 ISO 400

Catch of the day. 500mm f9 1/100 ISO 400

Michael
Very nice herons Michael.

10-04-2015, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #362
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Oleksiy..The page turned on your shots...but I saw them anyhow! Very nice shots they were too!

You are getting some fine heron shots....you need to start paying him for the poses!

Sold my old K5 . A couple of shots with it before packing to make certain it is still fine....it is! Shot these this morning with my old Bigma 50-500...which will be sold soon too.

K5 original + Bigma 50-500 original

Some thoughts as I sell these old friends.....they have been wonderful for me!

K5.....Very little difference between the K5 and the K5IIs for most practical shooting. The K5IIs is better at AF, in particular in low light, and the IQ maybe a shade better due to the lack of the sensor filter. Both render nice color and are a pleasure to use.

Old Bigma 50 -500...Again, very little practical difference. It is quieter to focus the new one, and in good light it is faster. In poor light it still hunts like the old one....you get used to it and deal with it, it's not a killer. The OS on the new one is good...but so is the Pentax SR. The new one is a shade faster wide open but not enough to be noticeable.

Bottom line, the K5 + old Bigma is about as satisfying as the new K5IIs and new Bigma. When you spend money on new equipment you may be expecting marked improvement? I wasn't, I was only expecting the new gear to be as good as the old, so I am not disappointed in the least. The slight improvements were plenty good enough for me.

Regards!
10-05-2015, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #363
Veteran Member

I managed to get a couple at f9, it does make a Bigma difference! Even at ISO 3200 they detail is much better. I just so seldom get the right light for low ISO and f8-9.

Regards!
10-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #364

any thoughts on image quality between the 2 Bigma's ? HSM vs non HSM ?

10-06-2015, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #365
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
any thoughts on image quality between the 2 Bigma's ? HSM vs non HSM ?
Well, in the four shots above the first two were with the old Bigma at f6.7...wide open...the second two with the new Bigma at f9.

I can't see much difference in the old and new Bigma as far as IQ. The older one actually gives a better focus and requires less sharpening, but that may be due to my not having the adjustments just right yet on the new one.

In open areas with good light the edge would go to the new one, it is faster and quieter, but the IQ is not going to be noticeably different to me. I could be happy with either one...and have been. The difference of 6.3/6.7 is not enough to matter, and if you are in low light both will hunt like a damn bird dog...you have to adapt to that and learn to manage it.

I think I will be selling my old one, or maybe just keep it...I do not want to be a day without a Bigma!

Many I have known have purchased a Bigma and been disappointed....you do have to have patience and learn its ways, and many do not take the time or have the patience. For me it has been very satisfying.

I can get shots like this all day long and never cease snapping.....most will be satisfactory...for my needs. Others may require absolute perfection...I'm not one of those!

Regards!
10-07-2015, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #366
Veteran Member

It got dark in the Woods of Otis...

Regards!
10-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #367
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hello to Sigma telephoto zoom lenses fans...
I just acquired a vintage Sigma telephoto lens that is a 75-250mm, f4-5 in an absolute mint condition...
I did not found that lens in the lens database in PF.

The problem I have, is, even if it's supposed to be a Pentax K mount, I cannot fit it on either my k-3 or k-5 body...

it looks like the small protuberence (I dont know how to call it) on the lens mount, is too long to fit on current k-mounts...

attached are some pics...

to which body can I fit it ?
does anyone know how much than lens could worth ?

thanks for your help...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad mini 2  Photo 
10-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #368
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
More photos (apparently, when I upload mutiple photos from my iPad, the name is conflicting...)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad mini 2  Photo 
10-08-2015, 01:52 AM   #369

That Black duck in flight is excellent. The others are fine as well.
500mm f9 1/125 ISO 400

Catch of the day. 500mm f9 1/100 ISO 400

Michael
Wow Michael. These are stunning shots.

---------- Post added 10-08-15 at 01:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Well, in the four shots above the first two were with the old Bigma at f6.7...wide open...the second two with the new Bigma at f9.

I can't see much difference in the old and new Bigma as far as IQ. The older one actually gives a better focus and requires less sharpening, but that may be due to my not having the adjustments just right yet on the new one.

In open areas with good light the edge would go to the new one, it is faster and quieter, but the IQ is not going to be noticeably different to me. I could be happy with either one...and have been. The difference of 6.3/6.7 is not enough to matter, and if you are in low light both will hunt like a damn bird dog...you have to adapt to that and learn to manage it.

I think I will be selling my old one, or maybe just keep it...I do not want to be a day without a Bigma!

Many I have known have purchased a Bigma and been disappointed....you do have to have patience and learn its ways, and many do not take the time or have the patience. For me it has been very satisfying.

I can get shots like this all day long and never cease snapping.....most will be satisfactory...for my needs. Others may require absolute perfection...I'm not one of those!

Regards!
Rupert, your shots with the Bigma are amazing. What I do notice is that you do really have the patience and produces some really nice bokeh. Great shots all around.

Last edited by xanis; 10-10-2015 at 04:43 PM.
10-08-2015, 04:28 AM   #370
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote

to which body can I fit it ?
does anyone know how much than lens could worth ?

thanks for your help...
It can fit any of the bodies after modification. You'll need to cut or mill the flange to a smaller size.

On average less than $50.00
10-08-2015, 06:05 AM   #371
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xanis Quote
Rupert, your shots with the Bigma are amazing. What I do notice is that you do really have the patience and produces some really nice booked. Great shots all around.
Thank you! My "Cheater Branch" has really paid off in the bokeh department!

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
It can fit any of the bodies after modification. You'll need to cut or mill the flange to a smaller size.

On average less than $50.00
Otis says he can gnaw off that flange for a 1# bag of roasted Grade A peanuts. Squirrels teeth are like razors.......unfortunately, I have been on the receiving end a couple of times!

Regards!

Glad to see you guys over here posting...it has been lonely the past few days....sort of spooky to be in here all alone!
10-08-2015, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #372

Couple taken with my 150-500 . 1/90 of a second and ISO 400 at F6.7 450mm. Both are cropped as well.

Not extremely happy with them...but they work. Still hunting for a 50-500
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-09-2015, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #373
Veteran Member

Not extremely happy with them...but they work. Still hunting for a 50-500
The Bigma lenses are not "out of the box" magic machines. You have to learn their ways, and it takes some time. I have been Bigma shooting since 2007, but when I got the 50-500 HSM OS a few weeks ago, it was a new learning curve. With years of experience, it helped, but still is taking me a little adjustment to get what I want. Part of that is the camera settings....a large part in fact.

BTW-Soon I will be selling my old Bigma 50-500 APO. It is, in my opinion from using it and the new one, fully equal in IQ and usability under most circumstances.

New Bigma....yesterday.

Old Bigma...January 2012

Regards!
10-09-2015, 06:20 AM   #374

Cool... were the mission critical settings focus adjustment? I shoot RAW and use lightroom so wondering if that is the only settings that would matter for me.

Any idea what your going to be selling it for ?
10-09-2015, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #375
Veteran Member

Cool... were the mission critical settings focus adjustment? I shoot RAW and use lightroom so wondering if that is the only settings that would matter for me.

Any idea what your going to be selling it for ?
Shoot a little underexposed and bring it up in processing..works best on my K5IIs. Speed is critical, anything above 200 will generally work handheld for me. If you can keep the ISO at or under 3200 and get the aperture up to f8 or above, you can count on decent results. For shots at 500mm, sharpening is normally required. Focus Magic is the best in my observation. If it is over 3 pixels out of focus, it may not be a shot you want to keep.

1/125 @ 330 mm wide open 6.3 ISO 1600 will be decent with a still subject.

This morning....

Bigma price?.....I haven't really thought about it much lately....I'm hesitant to part with it, it has been such a great lens...and still is. If and when...would you like for me to PM you before I list it? I'm not going to ask a fortune for it, I know that...just a reasonable price for me and the buyer.

Regards!