Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #406

Thank you. My expectations are low knowing i'll need to spend some time learning to tame the Bigma

10-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #407

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
Thank you. My expectations are low knowing i'll need to spend some time learning to tame the Bigma
Congrats! Patience is your friend.

Last edited by xanis; 10-13-2015 at 08:16 PM.
10-13-2015, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #408
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

You might try this to stop the hunting in low light.....I have some night vision goggles ordered from Amazon that I think will be even better! Don't waste your money on those Bigma Birdog cookies, too much protein and they hunt with even more vigor...but they do taste pretty good!

I like the sailboat shots Scorpio.....the fog actually helps set the scene.

Regards!
10-14-2015, 09:44 AM - 2 Likes   #409

Tried to search for some jays, herons or chickadees. Everything is so quiet out today except this red tail perching on some trees.

10-14-2015, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #410
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xanis Quote
Everything is so quiet out today except this red tail perching on some trees.
Nice catch! Pretty still and quiet here today too.

Squirrels agreed to pose for a few roasted peanuts....

They get pretty happy when they get peanuts!

Regards!
10-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #411

Noted: I'll add those to the shopping list. Just have corn right now
10-14-2015, 06:50 PM   #412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xanis Quote
Tried to search for some jays, herons or chickadees. Everything is so quiet out today except this red tail perching on some trees.
Nice shot I only see them soaring high up in the air.

---------- Post added 10-14-15 at 09:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You might try this to stop the hunting in low light.....I have some night vision goggles ordered from Amazon that I think will be even better! Don't waste your money on those Bigma Birdog cookies, too much protein and they hunt with even more vigor...but they do taste pretty good!

I like the sailboat shots Scorpio.....the fog actually helps set the scene.

Regards!
Thanks Rupert, it sure made some tough exposures. Focusing was not much better either, everything was focused manually. I could have used a pair of those spectacles that day.
10-14-2015, 07:53 PM - 2 Likes   #413
Veteran Member

Noted: I'll add those to the shopping list. Just have corn right now
Hey....corn is good too! They love corn!

"Oh Mr Corn...let me whisper in your ear!" I know, that was kind of corny!

Regards!

10-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #414

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Nice shot I only see them soaring high up in the air.

---------- Post added 10-14-15 at 09:52 PM ----------

Thanks Rupert, it sure made some tough exposures. Focusing was not much better either, everything was focused manually. I could have used a pair of those spectacles that day.
Once in awhile you will see some flying low. I am still waiting on my chance to snap a shot of some crows having some air assault with a red tailed.
10-15-2015, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #415
Veteran Member

All of these are great shots! Still playing with my 150-500mm learning curve. Shot this doe yesterday but missed one of an 8 point buck. I didn't have my camera set up and ready like a dummy. This was cropped maybe 10% for a slightly better rule of thirds composition..
10-15-2015, 10:15 AM   #416
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
This was cropped maybe 10% for a slightly better rule of thirds composition..
That's a very nice shot! Wish I had some deer around here, but I don't...not anywhere close to my office windows!

I shot these this morning just because they "were there". Not the best for certain........ handheld at 1/160 ISO 3200 @ 500mm, but they will make good card fronts.

This guy was craning his neck to see my big Bigma better....

I'm looking forward to the arrival of Kentster's new Bigma.....Otis says he doesn't appear to be a guy with a lot of patience? I guess Otis is a mind-reader, or thinks he is?

Anyhow, maybe we can give Kentster a few tips to help him get started? I have a few, I bet you guys do too? Let's see if we can help him out so he doesn't get discouraged like I have seen so many do over the years with the Bigmas.

*Patience...no way to avoid it, it is a must do.

*They are damn bird dogs and love to hunt...get used to it. One way I compensate is to find something with good contrast on the same plane and grab focus then recompose on the target while holding the half press focus.

Example: when shooting the cheater branch, I first focus on the tree trunk to the right that has good contrast and no background clutter...is in the same plane of focus....then shift my view to the branch and snap the shot.

I do this often on the cedar fence too, focus on the fence then on the subject. Yes, it's a hassle but it beats letting the hound hunt for half an hour by which time the subject is long gone.

*Processing...If you don't like processing you won't like the Bigmas. Shots are seldom "just right" out of the camera. You need some good software and a method of processing that will achieve the result you desire. part of this depends on the camera, but getting the sharpness just right at different ranges and settings is often difficult. The Bigma will usually get close, but a little help is necessary to push the result over the edge. If I only posted my out of camera shots, hell, I wouldn't even look at them!
It is part of Bigma shooting...learn to enjoy it or you will not be satisfied often.

*Handholding.....Out in the wild a monopod is probably the best answer. You can do without one if you have steady hands and strong arms, but it still gets tiring. I brace against my chest with my arms, or elbows on the desk, or outside try to lean against a tree trunk or post. Otherwise, it will be hit and miss unless you can get some very high shutter speeds.

I bet you guys have a lot more tips that the Kentster can use, so feel free to throw them out here! I'd like to see him enjoy the Bigma and be a regular here...if we can help him, we should.

Regards!
10-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #417

My shots from the Bigma will be delayed until next week. Adorama shipped too late in the day to make it here by tomorrow.
10-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #418
Veteran Member

My shots from the Bigma will be delayed until next week. Adorama shipped too late in the day to make it here by tomorrow.
Well, that give you a few days to get a set of weights and do some arm lifting exercises!

Regards!
10-16-2015, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #419
Veteran Member

Another deer from yesterday. No crop, sharpened 30% taken at 440mm, F7.1, 1/320 & Iso 2000 from my car with 150mm-500mm resting on my arm.
10-16-2015, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #420
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Another deer from yesterday.
Very nice shot!...love the composition and nice detail.
Me and Otis appreciate that you shot it while relaxing in your car, like I do shooting out my office windows ....Bigma in one hand and coffee cup in the other! Sure beats putting on a safari jacket and getting out in the dangerous woods with all the chiggers, mosquitoes, and wild critters with big teeth!

I'd love to get away from the high ISO and still get some decent speed...but there in the Woods of Otis it is usually on the dark side.

3200 Jays are always hollering...very loud and noisy birds!

I can generally process a shot at 3200...or sometimes 6400.

12,800 will get you a "specimen" shot ...but not worth much more.

The Bigmas like good light. They have weak eyes and if there is little light, they like to hunt like a coon dog!

Regards!