11-02-2015, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #467
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xanis Quote
Great shots of the night herons.
Thanks Xanis!

Thanks Kentster!

It was 3-4 years in a row that two or more families came and nested in my yard. I got so many shots and they were so used to me that I could get very close. I watched the chicks grow and leave the nest...come back the next year and start all over. It was not unusual to have the chicks learning to fly land withing a few feet of me...they seemed very curious of me and my camera.

When I got the Bigma the shots got much better.....

Here are more......starting in 2005 with the old Quantaray 70-300.
BIG BIRDS 2005 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com

Chicks 2006 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com

BIG BIRDS 2006 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com

BIG BIRDS 2007 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com

BIG BIRDS 2008 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com

It was fun times! Very interesting too! The parents took turns watching the young and hunting. They are night hunters and good at it. Wonderful experience...right in my own back yard! After 2008 and a very bad and stormy year I never saw them here again, although I do see them in the immediate area quite often. I miss them.

With the better sensor on the K5IIs and better processing tools available today, I think I could enjoy them even more. But...I did what I could and was pleased to get what I got at the time!

Regards!
11-02-2015, 12:14 PM   #468

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Thanks Xanis!

Thanks Kentster!

It was 3-4 years in a row that two or more families came and nested in my yard. I got so many shots and they were so used to me that I could get very close. I watched the chicks grow and leave the nest...come back the next year and start all over. It was not unusual to have the chicks learning to fly land withing a few feet of me...they seemed very curious of me and my camera.

When I got the Bigma the shots got much better.....

Here are more......starting in 2005 with the old Quantaray 70-300.
BIG BIRDS 2005 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com

Chicks 2006 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com

BIG BIRDS 2006 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com

BIG BIRDS 2007 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com

BIG BIRDS 2008 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com

It was fun times! Very interesting too! The parents took turns watching the young and hunting. They are night hunters and good at it. Wonderful experience...right in my own back yard! After 2008 and a very bad and stormy year I never saw them here again, although I do see them in the immediate area quite often. I miss them.

With the better sensor on the K5IIs and better processing tools available today, I think I could enjoy them even more. But...I did what I could and was pleased to get what I got at the time!

Regards!
That's a great story to accompany those pictures. Its a tough feeling knowing that these guys are still around your area but just not at your backyard.
11-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #469
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you everyone, the tortoise was pretty tame. They let the little kids feed him. The light was terrible and I had to bring up my shutter speed in the second shot. He started moving his front legs in the sand.

Xanis that 70-200 OS is a fine lens. You are lucky to have one since they made Lee's than two years. I see maybe one or two for sale a year.

Rupert those our excellent shots, you are lucky to been able to experience such an event.

Michael

11-03-2015, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #470
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Rupert those our excellent shots, you are lucky to been able to experience such an event.
Thanks Scorpio......They were fun and exciting times!

No Big Birds here nowadays, but there is no shortage of handsome squirrels. This one found a morning treat today.....

Regards!
11-03-2015, 06:58 PM - 3 Likes   #471
Veteran Member

I was looking through my old shots of the Big Birds and saw this one...it brought a smile to my face....I recall the day very well. It was so hot in mid July and this youngster was just learning to fly. He came down from the nest to the cedar fence where I had put out a bowl of cool water for them. He had never seen water before and stepped into the bowl....he looked down at his feet for over 5 minutes as if he was both amazed an baffled. Finally, he took a few sips and moved along, but in a short time he was back standing in the bowl...cooling his feet?

Anyhow, it was so funny ...I just wanted to share!

Shot with my first Pentax....a DS.

Regards!

EDIT: I like this one so much for the memories that I decided to print it for my office photo wall. It was taken a long time ago in terms of the camera and in processing skill and technology. So...I worked on it a little before printing....
What do you think?

Name:  Bowl Bird.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  82.2 KB

The old Pentax DS delivered some nice shots for me when I first got it. I had gone to Wolf Photo with intentions to buy a Nikon D70 but when I saw the smaller Pentax and the salesman, a man I knew well, offered to let me shoot a few in and around the store with both the DS and Nikon.....and then he would print them right there as I waited....I gave them both a try. The DS felt better and the prints that came out, about a dozen, let me pick the ones I liked best. The DS had better color and I bought it. The salesman was a Canon shooter but he was impressed with the Pentax and for a new shooter like me, he thought it was the best value and gave the best result. Been happy with Pentax ever since!

Last edited by Rupert; 11-04-2015 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Add photo
11-04-2015, 11:37 AM - 2 Likes   #472
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cross posted from 300mm+ Club.

It's rare to get nice weather in November in CNY, so I had to take advantage of it.

Montezuma NWR with the lil'Bigma

11-04-2015, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #473

Weather has been awesome for the last two days. Went out hoping to see some herons, or some jays and cardinals. Must be my luck, didn't run into any of those but a few squirrels and lots of sparrows. Saw a hawk but some kids made so much noise that it left before I even had a chance to get near. meh...another day another time i guess.

11-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #474
Veteran Member

didn't run into any of those but a few squirrels
Nice squirrels! That last one looks like the nut is almost a big as he is!

Regards!
11-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #475

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice squirrels! That last one looks like the nut is almost a big as he is!

Regards!
Thanks Rupert. Hahahah its so small that he didn't know what to do when i was so close to it. I hope he stays safe since that area has been an active area for hawks and vulture.
11-04-2015, 11:55 PM   #476

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

It's rare to get nice weather in November in CNY, so I had to take advantage of it.

Great shooting. That red tailed is awesome.
11-05-2015, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #477

Not of the best quality, here are a few from earlier. The eastern bluebirds were heavily cropped in. Sneaky fast little fellas.

11-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #478
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:

Great series, the weather has been pretty nice here the last few days too.

QuoteQuote:
Not of the best quality, here are a few from earlier. The eastern bluebirds were heavily cropped in. Sneaky fast little fellas.
Nice shots, glad to see you got out to enjoy the weather.

Nothing new from me just some old shots from this summer. I don't think the Bigma will much action until spring.

Michael
11-06-2015, 03:22 AM   #479

Great series, the weather has been pretty nice here the last few days too.

Nice shots, glad to see you got out to enjoy the weather.

Nothing new from me just some old shots from this summer. I don't think the Bigma will much action until spring.

Michael
By the end of the day its all about having fun with these big lens. Have a great weekend and happy hunting.
11-06-2015, 07:58 AM   #480
Veteran Member

Nice woodies guys!

By the end of the day its all about having fun with these big lens.
Yes, it is!

I don't think the Bigma will much action until spring.
Well, I hope that is not the case! It does become much more difficult in the winter light with the big slow lenses...but it is still possible to have some fun and get a few decent shots to keep our thread alive.

Here are some past winter shots with the Bigma. You know it's winter when the little birdies are all fluffed up!

A tiny Spanish dove gets large!

A very cold January day.

He felt the January cold too!

Even the teeny Carolina Wren knows it is January!

Sparrows feel the cold too.

Whatever this was...he felt the chill in the air!

Butterball cold!

Let's go somewhere and cuddle together!

Even the Woodies can fluff up a little when it's December!

A Wax Wing can do a little March fluffing too....

It starts in early November and lasts until April...although it seldom gets extremely cold here.

Even in the cold, you can still get some shots, you just have to work a little harder. Even if you have to push the ISO they still make great card fronts and the noise won't show on a matte card front.

So let's not have any excuses for not posting this winter!

Regards!