Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 801 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #91
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
The raptors in battle! Love it! You don't see that shot very often. Nice capture!
Thanks Kath. Its a shame its a big crop. Good enough quality to print in newspapers, but unfortunately not good enough for me to make a big print.

02-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blythman Quote
Thanks guys. Here's a few more:

Please, tell us more about the Owl and the Hawk??
02-24-2016, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #93
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blythman Quote
Thanks Kath. Its a shame its a big crop. Good enough quality to print in newspapers, but unfortunately not good enough for me to make a big print.
Talk about right time/right place, though. Tough enough to get one of them, let alone two in a shot like that. I was out today shooting egrets waterside but passed some big fields and thought, "There must be an owl in there somewhere." I resolved to go sit in a blind at dawn and see if I can't get one.
02-25-2016, 12:19 AM - 3 Likes   #94
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Please, tell us more about the Owl and the Hawk??
Here it is in one of our national newspapers Kestrel and barn owl engage in fierce mid-air fight over 'lunch' - but who will win? - Mirror Online

02-26-2016, 03:59 AM   #95
Site Supporter

Cross-posting from the Photo Sharing Forum.

A Great Egret Takes Off

Lens: Pentax HD DA 560 5.6 ED AW Camera: K3-II Photo Location: Sauvie Island, Oregon ISO: 640 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F6.3
Posted By: Kath, 16 Minutes Ago (Online)
A colony of Great Egrets sometimes winters in the slough near my home. Yesterday, I watched them for a couple of hours, far across the inlet. Such magnificent creatures!

This JPEG is only 1/30th of the original RAW image and shows some CA from the extreme magnification of the crop. The image still retained a good deal of sharpness, though, without an excessive amount of noise. If I can get another nice day soon, I'm thinking of going back and trying the 1.4 TC on the 560 to compare.

EDIT: The second photo is the same shot after using the Lightroom chromatic aberration tool. Sharpened it up a bit and removed most of the purple fringe. I also reduced the vibrance a bit to decrease the heavy blue tones. The resulting overall colors are truer to the original scene.

Click twice on the second photo for gallery details and original upload, if desired

Last edited by Kath; 02-29-2016 at 06:31 PM.
02-26-2016, 06:01 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Great Egret Takes Off

Lens: Pentax HD DA 560 5.6 ED AW Camera: K3-II Photo Location: Sauvie Island, Oregon ISO: 640 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F6.3
Posted By: Kath, 16 Minutes Ago (Online)
A colony of Great Egrets sometimes winters in the slough near my home. Yesterday, I watched them for a couple of hours, far across the inlet. Such magnificent creatures!

This JPEG is only 1/30th of the original RAW image and shows some CA from the extreme magnification. The image still retained a good deal of sharpness, though, without an excessive amount of noise. If I can get another nice day soon, I'm thinking of going back and trying the 1.4 TC on the 560 to compare.

Click twice for gallery details and original upload, if desired

For only being 1/30th of the original I'd say the original must have been pretty sharp! Look forward to seeing the 1.4 TC shots! ;-)
02-26-2016, 06:34 AM   #97
Veteran Member

I think you should be able to remove or at least reduce further the CA in post. Lr does a good job for minimal effort on CA.

02-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #98
Site Supporter

For only being 1/30th of the original I'd say the original must have been pretty sharp! Look forward to seeing the 1.4 TC shots! ;-)
Me too, Bob!

---------- Post added 02-26-16 at 11:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
I think you should be able to remove or at least reduce further the CA in post. Lr does a good job for minimal effort on CA.
Yes, I put some more work into it. See my edited post above.
02-26-2016, 05:48 PM   #99
Veteran Member

There is an harder test for a lens than a TC: the Q test !

Here is a Q7+DA560 (Pentax Adapter) 100% crop (20%*20% of the original picture so 1.14mm*1.52mm on the sensor)

Full Q7 picture

Last edited by Glorfindelrb; 02-26-2016 at 06:16 PM.
02-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
There is an harder test for a lens than a TC: the Q test !

Here is a Q7+DA560 (Pentax Adapter) 100% crop (20%*20% of the original picture so 1.14mm*1.52mm on the sensor)

Full Q7 picture

My God! A DA560 on a Q7!! How did you even find the bird? Isn't that something like a 2,800mm on the Q7?
02-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #101
Pentaxian

Lens: Pentax HD DA 560 5.6 ED AW Camera: K3-II Photo Location: Sauvie Island, Oregon ISO: 640 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F6.3 Posted By: Kath, 16 Minutes Ago (Online) A colony of Great Egrets sometimes winters in the slough near my home. Yesterday, I watched them for a couple of hours, far across the inlet. Such magnificent creatures! This JPEG is only 1/30th of the original RAW image and shows some CA from the extreme magnification. The image still retained a good deal of sharpness, though, without an excessive amount of noise. If I can get another nice day soon, I'm thinking of going back and trying the 1.4 TC on the 560 to compare.
Hi Kath,
I've seem that you're owner of the DA560 and I looked at your photographs taken with this lens, as well as to other photographer also made with the DA560. I don't want to be critical of your work, your shots parameters seems ok (fast shutter speed, relatively low ISO etc, good lighting etc), but.... are you sure your lens does not have a problem with CA, or either a problem of AF in combination with your camera body or the lens itself ? I considering this DA560 lens. Please help me understand, or is this lens difficult to handle?

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-28-2016 at 12:06 PM.
02-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Hi Kath,
I've seem that you're owner of the DA560 and I looked at your photographs taken with this lens, as well as to other photographer also made with the DA560. I don't want to be critical of your work, your shots parameters seems ok (fast shutter speed, relatively low ISO etc, good lighting etc), but.... are you sure your lens does not have a problem with CA, or either a problem of AF in combination with your camera body or the lens itself ? I considering this DA560 lens. Please help me understand, or is this lens difficult to handle?
Humm, Well, I just bought the Sigma 500mm f4.5 and the pictures I'm getting don't look anything like the pictures taken by folks on the Pentax Forum who are using the same lens. Both the 560, 5.6 and the 500, 4.5 are capable of taking stunningly sharp pictures so it has to be me.... I will say that Kath's pictures look a lot sharper than mine though! ;-) My guess is that it takes a fair amount of time to learn how to use these big lenses. For me, I need to get a good gimbal head as handheld shots just aren't working so far.
Bob
02-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #103
Pentaxian

My guess is that it takes a fair amount of time to learn how to use these big lenses.
Yep. Interestingly, I wasn't getting what I expected from the DA300+TC, until I made a bean bag large enough so that both camera and lens can seat into it.... and guess what... woow, it's sharper. It seems that the lens+camera gets propagating vibrations from the shutter mechanism and it's enough to ruin the sharpness on a 24Mpixel APSC sensor @ 630mm eq. fl. When I use live view + zoom, I see the difference between tripod mount and bean bag. With the camera and lens fixed via tripod collar, anything like wind generate vibrations, and when I seat the camera and lens on a deep beanbag it's damn stable: no vibrations at all with LV zoom x8.3 (100%). My next problem to solve is how I can use a beanbag anywhere? Or how I can damp the lens and camera to prevent vibrations without having to have a table.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-28-2016 at 01:33 PM.
02-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #104
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Hi Kath,

Could you link the single shots which you found problematic?
02-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Could you link the single shots which you found problematic?
Yes. This one A Great Egret Takes Off - Pentax User Photo Gallery, I guess movement + harsh light + distance were tough photographic conditions.
And this one: First Photos from New DA560 #5 - Pentax User Photo Gallery ; not enough light I suppose, looks like the AF was off target.

But others are sharp and good looking.