Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 08:22 PM - 4 Likes   #121
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cormorants Communing

Finally got some sun today. The Cormorants will be leaving soon, so I was lucky to get this pair hanging out on the river.

Double click for gallery details, if desired.

03-20-2016, 06:12 AM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Finally got some sun today. The Cormorants will be leaving soon, so I was lucky to get this pair hanging out on the river.

Double click for gallery details, if desired.

Nice picture! Surely a couple discussing directions... ;-)
03-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #123
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Nice picture! Surely a couple discussing directions... ;-)
Thanks, Bob. It was clear to me they were communicating about something, for sure!
03-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Quite a capture in full bright daylight! Almost unreal having such a bird stare at you, at least where I live.
Enlarging the image though, you see some of the downsides of the DA560 design: the purple fringing at the left side of the image. I wonder if this could be kept in check better by slightly underexposing the shot (in raw of course) and lifting in post?
I've noticed that, although I love the clarity of the DA560, especially in flatter light, where this lens can still create a sparkling image, I'm not so fond of the coloring artifacts that happen when the lens is hit by really bright light around contrasting edges.

Chris
I do notice the purple fringing in bright light, or even water reflections. Underexposing does help and if I'm not tired I even remember to correct that in PP, apparently I missed it this time around. It's a downside for sure, but the sharpness more than makes up for it

---------- Post added 03-20-16 at 12:39 PM ----------

Nice! Love the stare. I'm still trying to get this close to my bald eagles here. Think I need to find some sites where the trees are closer. Or sunnier days
or come up to Vancouver after the salmon run this year We get around 2000 of them that congregate in this one area, flying less than 5 feet away from you, fighting 30 feet away

03-21-2016, 03:15 AM   #125
Pentaxian

Thanks, Bob. It was clear to me they were communicating about something, for sure!
A very social bird, although they may not have an appearance to back that up!

Chris
03-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #126
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
or come up to Vancouver after the salmon run this year We get around 2000 of them that congregate in this one area, flying less than 5 feet away from you, fighting 30 feet away
Wow! Really? We've got lots of salmon in the Columbia, but I've never seen bald eagles in those numbers. They seem to be pretty solitary creatures here. Is this in the fall when salmon are spawning?
03-21-2016, 09:08 PM - 2 Likes   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometimes I forget how beautiful a simple finch can be

and keeping with the same color theme...

03-21-2016, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member

Wow! Really? We've got lots of salmon in the Columbia, but I've never seen bald eagles in those numbers. They seem to be pretty solitary creatures here. Is this in the fall when salmon are spawning?
Mid November is when the salmon run starts in Harrison, we get anywhere from 2,000 - 10,000 (this past year we got just over 3,000). A couple months later they head up to Squamish and a "handful" stay in the Vancouver area until March. We had over 1,500 that left 2 weeks ago. The ones out here are far from solitary, they're very social and you can see 20-40 in one tree They'll fly within 5 feet of you and fight over food 20 feet away.
03-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #129
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
Mid November is when the salmon run starts in Harrison, we get anywhere from 2,000 - 10,000 (this past year we got just over 3,000). A couple months later they head up to Squamish and a "handful" stay in the Vancouver area until March. We had over 1,500 that left 2 weeks ago. The ones out here are far from solitary, they're very social and you can see 20-40 in one tree They'll fly within 5 feet of you and fight over food 20 feet away.
I feel a Fall Road Trip coming on....
05-21-2016, 02:27 PM - 4 Likes   #130
Forum Member

A few from today.
Taken with the K3 and DA560mm. Click through to flickr if exif is wanted

05-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blythman Quote
A few from today.
Taken with the K3 and DA560mm. Click through to flickr if exif is wanted

Nice shots. Very sharp and very good depth of field!
05-28-2016, 05:01 AM   #132
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

07-07-2016, 12:53 PM - 6 Likes   #133
Forum Member

Giving the K-1 its second outing this morning, with the DA 560mm. Visited our local Great Crested Grebes before I went to work.
There are various theories on why grebes eat feathers. One is that they form a partial plug between the stomach and small intestine, which acts as a strainer to keep fish bones in the stomach long enough to be completely digested.
The eggs have hatched one a day for the last 3 days. I wonder if egg number 4 hatched after I left this morning.
Full exif available if you click through to Flickr version.

07-07-2016, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Giving the K-1 its second outing this morning, with the DA 560mm. Visited our local Great Crested Grebes before I went to work.
There are various theories on why grebes eat feathers. One is that they form a partial plug between the stomach and small intestine, which acts as a strainer to keep fish bones in the stomach long enough to be completely digested.
The eggs have hatched one a day for the last 3 days. I wonder if egg number 4 hatched after I left this morning.

Very nice! TFS!
I was wondering if the DA560 was FF , so I have my answer here!
07-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #135
Veteran Member

How do you find the fps on the K1 for BIF shots?