Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 801 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2019, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'd certainly like the details...

I'm curious if you have compared using a remote shutter vs no remote shutter, when shooting at 1333mm.
Yes I’ve compared all the various settings I could think of until I’ve reached to the technique I’m using now. First of all I’m getting better results when I’m using the HD DA 1.4X mounted between the lens and the 1.7X than the other way around. I manually focus the combo in live view to get the best results. This is the hardest part, as the DOF is so thin you end up playing with literally touching the focus ring not turning it... I use mostly TAv mode with the compensation I prefer when there is light and M mode after sunset or before sunrise (this applies mostly to the DA560 alone or with the 1.7X to have a brighter combo). You get the best results with remote control and 3s timer always in live view mode. If there is action in the scene I let go the timer but I have less keepers. Even the minimum shaking affects the IQ so you have to be very careful and don’t touch the equipment unless it’s necessary (to make focus micro adjustments). Wind might cause a lot of trouble as the DA 560 is very long and easily affected by the wind.

As for the settings the camera doesn’t recognize the HD DA 1.4X, so you read the aperture of the DA 560 + 1.7X combo. So you have to add another stop to get your real f number. The combo gives you max aperture f9.5. I usually shoot at f10 or 11 (f14.5 or 16 in reality). The SS depends on the subject and the light. I try to keep the ISO under 1000 which is easy during daylight but different as the sun goes down at the evenings. I hope that those were helpful info. Should you like to know something more feel free to ask.

10-02-2019, 10:09 AM - 7 Likes   #212
Pentaxian

Bald Eagle

Eurasian lynx
10-07-2019, 05:05 PM - 6 Likes   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A few Reed Buntings in early morning light from my days with the DA560. All with the 1.4TC.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #214
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
A few Reed Buntings in early morning light from my days with the DA560. All with the 1.4TC.
These are really beautiful images! Congratulations.

10-08-2019, 04:28 AM - 3 Likes   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
These are really beautiful images! Congratulations.
Thanks,
The DA560+1.4TC was a such a nice combo, and could be shot handheld. I miss it and may re-purchase it when the new APS-C camera comes and has K3-like IQ at a higher level.

Chris
10-08-2019, 04:52 AM   #216
Pentaxian

Thanks,
The DA560+1.4TC was a such a nice combo, and could be shot handheld. I miss it and may re-purchase it when the new APS-C camera comes and has K3-like IQ at a higher level.

Chris
All signs and Pentax tradition in releasing new flagships show that you have to put away money I think it will definitely be a major upgrade.

Last edited by redpit; 10-08-2019 at 05:02 AM.
10-08-2019, 09:18 AM - 3 Likes   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
All signs and Pentax tradition in releasing new flagships show that you have to put away money I think it will definitely be a major upgrade.
If I am very honest, my short lived adventure with the Pentax KP was part of my reason for leaving Pentax. It was not just the build and the ergonomics, but there was something in the KP's rendering that I simply did not like for birding. Even now, I very much like to revisit the K3 images, but never revisit the KP images with the DA560. The KP i.m.o. was centered around noise reduction and contrast and a heavy handed color rendering, all adding up to perhaps stellar IQ for cityscapes or (artistic) landscapes, but I could not warm to its rendering of my favorite subjects: birds in their habitat.

People may feel this is neither here nor there, or feel offended, but my feeling was that the KP had too much of the Ricoh dna. I did like the K1 b.t.w., so perhaps I should have tried the K1, but the 1.4TC was not FF.

Anyway, I really hope that the new Pentax APS-C flagship revives the brilliant, transparent and delicate K3 detail rendering for wildlife, adds better high iso, but not at the cost of a finely tuned realistic rendering, adds reliable and consistent auto focus, and I am back in

Chris

10-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #218
Pentaxian

If I am very honest, my short lived adventure with the Pentax KP was part of my reason for leaving Pentax. It was not just the build and the ergonomics, but there was something in the KP's rendering that I simply did not like for birding. Even now, I very much like to revisit the K3 images, but never revisit the KP images with the DA560. The KP i.m.o. was centered around noise reduction and contrast and a heavy handed color rendering, all adding up to perhaps stellar IQ for cityscapes or (artistic) landscapes, but I could not warm to its rendering of my favorite subjects: birds in their habitat.

People may feel this is neither here nor there, or feel offended, but my feeling was that the KP had too much of the Ricoh dna. I did like the K1 b.t.w., so perhaps I should have tried the K1, but the 1.4TC was not FF.

Anyway, I really hope that the new Pentax APS-C flagship revives the brilliant, transparent and delicate K3 detail rendering for wildlife, adds better high iso, but not at the cost of a finely tuned realistic rendering, adds reliable and consistent auto focus, and I am back in

Chris
Thanks for the feedback Chris! I always pay attention and want to learn from real users of the equipment I'm interested in or also use.

I can ensure you that the K-1 & DA560 combo is superb, although it lacks the reach in many occasions and as you said although the TC can be attached to reach 784mm, only the crop part of the image is of the desired IQ or even some more but anyway less than 20Mpxls can be utilized. I also wait for this new APS-C that might give new life and new capabilities to my telelenses
10-09-2019, 03:46 AM   #219
Unregistered User

Thanks,

Chris
It appears to be on sale now, about a thousand bucks off. You are allowed to use APS-C lenses with full frame cameras, by the way, you can always crop and enlarge if the vignetting is too severe, or just tell the camera, "do crop mode now".
10-09-2019, 10:37 AM - 4 Likes   #220
Pentaxian

A few more from the DA560+1.4TC. A pair of Bitterns that hid in the reeds, but finally one showed itself...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #221
Unregistered User

what's wrong with this picture?

It seems fuzzy in the middle, sharper at the edges, to me. Like it's back-focusing. (Since the edges are obviously farther away from the camera than is the center, which is what I was focusing on.)

I've tried focusing the thing manually and automagically, each with both live view and the viewfinder, and this was the very best I could get.

I had one of these lenses before (some may remember the tale) and sent it back because it couldn't focus clearly on anything at any distance - the best it could do was still fuzzy, nothing really in focus at all.

This lens is better than the previous "copy", but it still seems like a "shouldn't happen situation", to me. Especially after seeing all the razor-sharp images coming out of other folks' cameras with the same lens.

What do y'all think?

Last edited by Unregistered User; 10-15-2019 at 05:55 AM.
11-11-2019, 10:32 AM - 7 Likes   #222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

recent backyard birds…

Both with KP, mounted on a gimbal, out an open window. Looking forward to a new APS-C body with more, smaller AF points. Otherwise, the KP is great!

shot at ISO 2000!
11-30-2019, 12:43 PM - 12 Likes   #223

Some recent images

I've had the 560mm now for about a year and wanted to share some of my more recent images. Love this lens and have just ordered the 1.4x converter. Anxious to see how that does with this lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
12-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lbarfield9 Quote
I've had the 560mm now for about a year and wanted to share some of my more recent images. Love this lens and have just ordered the 1.4x converter. Anxious to see how that does with this lens.
Lovely shots with that kit combo! Thanks for sharing.
Best.
12-08-2019, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #225
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Bald Eagle
That’s one gorgeous eagle shot!