Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 801 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2020, 09:20 AM - 2 Likes   #256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"The lens is optimized for rendering distant subjects particularly sharp and well-defined. The DA 560mm is based on optics used in astronomical telescopes." - Pentax Lens Review Database

12-03-2020, 01:11 PM - 5 Likes   #257
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
chris, am curious.

When you mention "they all excel at closer to medium distances" and in comparison, you are of the view that the DA560 will eat the others up for lunch over longer distances.

What is the range you are referring to when you say "medium distances"?

Will that be in the range where the targeted subject is perhaps 20 to 30 metres away?
Or in range of up to 30 to 40 metres etc?

Was wondering if you ever snapped (with the DA560) at targeted subject which was perhaps in range of 70 to 80 metres range or even more.
Here is an example of a typical distance shot (in very dreary, flat light) that I am talking about. It is the bare DA560 on the K3, the first image showing the full image, and the second image showing a 100% crop. And honestly, I don't even feel that the lens was the limiting factor here, but the K3's sensor, which was very good, but not quite D500 good. I feel that a succesful attempt at the K3III could raise the performance of the DA560 quite a bit. Still, despite the very grey muddy light, there is a lot of fine detail and clarity.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Chris Mak; 12-03-2020 at 01:29 PM.
12-03-2020, 01:41 PM - 6 Likes   #258
Pentaxian

This is a shot I was very impressed with.
These were seals taking a sunbath in midday harsh sunlight in early may, a recipe for thermal distortions and air turbulence ruining all of your shots. It was over (sea) water and at a distance, so with the 1.4TC to get more pixels in case I would want to print it. If you look at the whiskers of the seal on the right, you see what I admired most in the DA560 looking back: amidst the out of focal planes that are mushed by thermal distortion, there is a very clear and incredibly well defined plane of focus. Also, you see the transition of the OOF foreground to the plane of focus and on to the OOF background, as a very well defined transition. And this was on the 24mp K3 at 784mm handheld.

I have since tried similar shots (I still re-visit the island where this image was taken each may) with the Canon 400DOII and Nikon 500PF lenses, and the most apparent difference, is the lack of a clear and well defined plane of focus inbetween the mushed OOF areas. Similar shots with these lenses look messy, unbalanced or downright soft. Until I sold the DA560 and got on the Canon and Nikon bandwagon, I did not know how difficult a shot like this is, and forums are flooded with knowledge on how these shots are impossible due to the thermal distortions, and you should not attempt to take shots in these conditions, but pack your gear and wait for better light. I have loads of messy images of these trips after selling the DA560, which I keep only for reference.

But with the DA560, and a new K3III with better sensor, it should work out fine. Of course, I have not tried a lens like the Sony 600GM, which should by all logic do perfectly fine where the DA560 does, but that is a 13499,- lens.
Canon's attempt at the 600mm f11 is another story alltogether,
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Chris Mak; 12-03-2020 at 01:59 PM.
12-04-2020, 12:53 AM   #259
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks a lot Chris.

As always, very much appreciate your experience with and insights into the DA560, a one-of-a-kind lens.

12-04-2020, 03:52 AM - 12 Likes   #260
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
PENTAX K-1 • FF Mode • 400 ISO • HD Pentax DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW
Green Woodpecker

PENTAX K-1 • Crop Mode • 3200 ISO • HD Pentax DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW
Grey-headed Woodpecker

PENTAX K-1 • Crop Mode • 400 ISO • HD Pentax DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW
Hawfinch

PENTAX K-1 • Crop Mode • 400 ISO • HD Pentax DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW
Young Pied Woodpecker

PENTAX K-1 • FF Mode • 100 ISO • HD Pentax DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW
Some undefined bird...

PENTAX K-1 • Crop Mode • 800 ISO • HD Pentax DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW

PENTAX K-1 • Crop Mode • 200 ISO • HD Pentax DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW
12-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #261
dlhawes

An update: got the lens back from Precision. First time I went to switch it from manual focus (because I was using it with a Pentax 1.7x TC that supplants the lens' autofocus) to autofocus (having removed the TC), I found it wouldn't do it. No autofocus at all. No doubt Precision will say, "impact damage".
12-07-2020, 05:11 AM   #262
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
This is a shot I was very impressed with.
These were seals taking a sunbath in midday harsh sunlight in early may, a recipe for thermal distortions and air turbulence ruining all of your shots. It was over (sea) water and at a distance, so with the 1.4TC to get more pixels in case I would want to print it. If you look at the whiskers of the seal on the right, you see what I admired most in the DA560 looking back: amidst the out of focal planes that are mushed by thermal distortion, there is a very clear and incredibly well defined plane of focus. Also, you see the transition of the OOF foreground to the plane of focus and on to the OOF background, as a very well defined transition. And this was on the 24mp K3 at 784mm handheld.

I have since tried similar shots (I still re-visit the island where this image was taken each may) with the Canon 400DOII and Nikon 500PF lenses, and the most apparent difference, is the lack of a clear and well defined plane of focus inbetween the mushed OOF areas. Similar shots with these lenses look messy, unbalanced or downright soft. Until I sold the DA560 and got on the Canon and Nikon bandwagon, I did not know how difficult a shot like this is, and forums are flooded with knowledge on how these shots are impossible due to the thermal distortions, and you should not attempt to take shots in these conditions, but pack your gear and wait for better light. I have loads of messy images of these trips after selling the DA560, which I keep only for reference.

But with the DA560, and a new K3III with better sensor, it should work out fine. Of course, I have not tried a lens like the Sony 600GM, which should by all logic do perfectly fine where the DA560 does, but that is a 13499,- lens.
Canon's attempt at the 600mm f11 is another story alltogether,
Nice analysis Chris.
I hope the new K3 does compensate for the slow AF speed of the 560. Drive it faster somehow

12-09-2020, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #263
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
An update: got the lens back from Precision. First time I went to switch it from manual focus (because I was using it with a Pentax 1.7x TC that supplants the lens' autofocus) to autofocus (having removed the TC), I found it wouldn't do it. No autofocus at all. No doubt Precision will say, "impact damage".

ooops. hope no more problems with the lens.
the number of problems you have with this lens, is quite terrible.
Which is a shame, as it is (optically) a good lens.
12-09-2020, 01:09 PM - 8 Likes   #264

My Lucky Day ! Green Jay

This was in my own backyard. I'm a little north of his usual range so when I started seeing him it was really exciting. Have spent hours and hours waiting to get this picture !! K1-II

Last edited by lbarfield9; 12-10-2020 at 09:43 AM. Reason: add image
08-06-2021, 05:54 AM   #265
Pentaxian

Hi guys,
anybody shooting with K-3 III + DA560 combo? I'm wondering if it's possible to get more out of this lens with the help of the latest APS-C flagship...
08-06-2021, 06:18 AM   #266
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Hi guys,
anybody shooting with K-3 III + DA560 combo? I'm wondering if it's possible to get more out of this lens with the help of the latest APS-C flagship...
Forum member 'Redpit' is using k33 with DA560.
08-07-2021, 12:18 AM - 3 Likes   #267
Pentaxian

Hi guys,
@termy is right. I’m extensively using the K-3iii with the DA560 and after my initial mixed results and a learning period for both the camera settings and the combo I can tell you I’m getting great results and the new camera is a huge and worthy upgrade for the DA 560 owners. The camera AF makes the DA 560 capable of tracking even small birds in flight and despite the fact that the DFA 150-450 or the DFA*70-200 are much faster and better at tracking (to be more precise at re acquiring focus once it is lost during AF-C tracking) the good results from the DA 560 are way better than from the DFA zoom lens. I will upload some photos when I find the time after some days off and the hard times we have now in Greece due to forest fires.
08-07-2021, 07:45 AM   #268
Pentaxian

Glad to read redpit message. I have 560 and was hoping that the K3iii should be able to maximise the capabilities of this lens.
08-10-2021, 12:02 PM   #269
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
@termy is right. I’m extensively using the K-3iii with the DA560 and after my initial mixed results and a learning period for both the camera settings and the combo I can tell you I’m getting great results and the new camera is a huge and worthy upgrade for the DA 560 owners. The camera AF makes the DA 560 capable of tracking even small birds in flight and despite the fact that the DFA 150-450 or the DFA*70-200 are much faster and better at tracking (to be more precise at re acquiring focus once it is lost during AF-C tracking) the good results from the DA 560 are way better than from the DFA zoom lens. I will upload some photos when I find the time after some days off and the hard times we have now in Greece due to forest fires.
Hi, good to hear that. This (DA560 performance improvement) would be my main motivation to upgrade. (I’ve heard about the forest fires. Hopefully it will be extinguished soon.)
08-23-2021, 04:55 AM   #270
Pentaxian

(I’ve heard about the forest fires. Hopefully it will be extinguished soon.)
Thank you my friend. The situation is under control now with a few and smaller fires. Czechs firemen and vehicles contributed to this and we are all grateful for your solidarity.