Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 801 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2021, 01:37 PM - 7 Likes   #271
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

re: DA560 + K-3 III

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Hi guys,
anybody shooting with K-3 III + DA560 combo? I'm wondering if it's possible to get more out of this lens with the help of the latest APS-C flagship...
Trying to stay focussed on the eye, AF-C, Expanded Area AF (L). Sorry for the full-sized images ;-)

Near minimum focus distance, f/5.6, ISO 200, 1/2000 sec:
_BK01713.jpg

Near minimum focus distance, f/5.6, ISO 800, 1/2000 sec:
_BK01732.jpg

Near minimum focus distance, f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/500 sec:
_SK02509.jpg

Near minimum focus distance, f/8.0, ISO 1250, 1/3200 sec:

For what it's worth, I've been wanting to make these images for over 40 years, since the first time I saw a hummingbird. I finally have a camera and lens that can make them.

Last edited by mstahulak; 11-02-2021 at 08:57 PM. Reason: fixed link?
10-14-2021, 04:06 AM   #272
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mstahulak Quote
For what it's worth, I've been wanting to make these images for over 40 years
Awesome. Well worth the wait.
10-24-2021, 03:30 AM   #273
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mstahulak Quote
Trying to stay focussed on the eye, AF-C, Expanded Area AF (L). Sorry for the full-sized images ;-)

Near minimum focus distance, f/5.6, ISO 200, 1/2000 sec:
_BK01713.jpg

Near minimum focus distance, f/5.6, ISO 800, 1/2000 sec:
_BK01732.jpg

Near minimum focus distance, f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/500 sec:
_SK02509.jpg

Near minimum focus distance, f/8.0, ISO 1250, 1/3200 sec:

For what it's worth, I've been wanting to make these images for over 40 years. I finally have a camera and lens that can make them.
Very nice! Thanks for sharing!
10-26-2021, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #274
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
I think I'd made enough noise that they decided to take proper care this time; when I got the lens back, and since that time (it has been a while now, and I have been using the lens) it's dam'near perfect as near as I can tell. Now I'm glad I got it.
We've had lots of discussions about how autofocus fine-tuning is necessary because of manufacturing variations within tolerances. I bought a Chevrolet Chevette in 1979, that was a great car, when I got a bigger one (more kids), I gave it to my father who drove it for ten or twelve years. Then I sold it to a Porsche mechanic. I got the one car that was on the high end of the Gaussian curve, I reckon. Well, I got the opposite with that 560 lens. I got the bad one, but what they eventually sent back is better than anything off the assembly line, I think. I had to struggle with it for a year, but now, I wouldn't sell it for double what I'd paid.
Good to hear your efforts eventually paid off. In the time I owned it, I always appreciated the lens greatly.
I had some plans in the back of my mind to re-purchase the DA560 at the arrival of the K3III, but Ricoh beat me to it with a discontinuation.

I took another turn, and purchased the Sigma 500mm f4S for use with the Nikon D500, and I don't really expect another long Pentax prime to replace the DA560.

Last edited by Chris Mak; 10-26-2021 at 02:42 PM.
10-28-2021, 11:51 PM   #275
Pentaxian

Photos are also shown in the Lens Club:
HD PENTAX DA 560 mm f/5,6 ED AW - PentaxForums.com
11-21-2021, 03:28 PM - 2 Likes   #276
Pentaxian

After way too much second guessing, and way too much angst over the money, I just put in an order for a DA560. I have been sitting on the cash for a while, it is a bit of inheritance from the passing of my father 2 years ago. He was also a Pentax shooter and enjoyed wildlife and landscape photography. I think he would be pleased with where I finally decided to put that money. I have read through all the 560 threads I could find and reviewed every photo I could find like an obsessed maniac. I almost did a DFA150-450 but I really want that extra reach for my K1, and I can take along my K3 with DA300 or 70-200 for closer shots.. Not wanting to switch systems this seemed like my best option, and way less money than switching systems. I found a factory refurbished DA560 from Camera Canada for $4300CAD, about 2/3 the normal price and it comes with full warranty. I am very much looking forward to this, though it is the start of winter here and all the birds are gone south. I live 30km from a wetland reserve (Frank Lake, Alberta) not to mention the rocky mountains, Banff and everything else right at my doorstep.
11-21-2021, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #277
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
After way too much second guessing, and way too much angst over the money, I just put in an order for a DA560. I have been sitting on the cash for a while, it is a bit of inheritance from the passing of my father 2 years ago. He was also a Pentax shooter and enjoyed wildlife and landscape photography. I think he would be pleased with where I finally decided to put that money. I have read through all the 560 threads I could find and reviewed every photo I could find like an obsessed maniac. I almost did a DFA150-450 but I really want that extra reach for my K1, and I can take along my K3 with DA300 or 70-200 for closer shots.. Not wanting to switch systems this seemed like my best option, and way less money than switching systems. I found a factory refurbished DA560 from Camera Canada for $4300CAD, about 2/3 the normal price and it comes with full warranty. I am very much looking forward to this, though it is the start of winter here and all the birds are gone south. I live 30km from a wetland reserve (Frank Lake, Alberta) not to mention the rocky mountains, Banff and everything else right at my doorstep.
Welcome to the club. A word of advise, I would set up a Lens plate to balance with your K1 and tether the carrying strap off he lens plate. Otherwise the lens is balanced too far forward, and the lens strap hooks on the lens body put too much stress on the internal screws, it makes them work loose over time

11-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #278
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Welcome to the club. A word of advise, I would set up a Lens plate to balance with your K1 and tether the carrying strap off he lens plate. Otherwise the lens is balanced too far forward, and the lens strap hooks on the lens body put too much stress on the internal screws, it makes them work loose over time
Yes, thanks for the advice. I had read about the balance issue and the strap anchor. I will be getting a long arca swiss plate for mounting on a gimbal head and now also for the strap anchor. I am a little worried about how much bigger it is than my DA*300+TC, but there are a lot of options much heavier than this. I am still in my early 40's so I should be be able to manage it.
11-21-2021, 05:06 PM   #279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, thanks for the advice. I had read about the balance issue and the strap anchor. I will be getting a long arca swiss plate for mounting on a gimbal head and now also for the strap anchor. I am a little worried about how much bigger it is than my DA*300+TC, but there are a lot of options much heavier than this. I am still in my early 40's so I should be be able to manage it.
I have 20+ years on you, I regularly walk between 5 and 10 km with mine, along with a back pack, second body sigma 70-200/2.8 and 2x TC and a few other lenses.

You need a 170 mm plate. I use the optech strap system for all my gear.
11-22-2021, 04:47 AM   #280
Pentaxian

After way too much second guessing, and way too much angst over the money, I just put in an order for a DA560.
Congratulations!

You can find the main discussion thread about the DA560 is here:
560mm now available. - PentaxForums.com

Informations about accessories are collected here:
DA 560mm 5.6 AW - useful accessoires - PentaxForums.com

The Thread Collection around the DA560 is viewable there:
DA 560mm 5.6 AW - thread collection - everything about the DA560 - PentaxForums.com
12-09-2021, 02:34 AM   #281
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lbarfield9 Quote
This was in my own backyard. I'm a little north of his usual range so when I started seeing him it was really exciting. Have spent hours and hours waiting to get this picture !! K1-II
Wow, what a beautiful looking bird and tack-sharp. Worth the wait in gold. TFS.
12-09-2021, 12:20 PM - 3 Likes   #282

What awesome pictures! I'll have to dig up some of my 560 shots. Not as nice as what I'm seeing but I'm learning the lens.
With the 560 in mind. I have an Acratech long lens head and what I find is that the height of the foot (+ 6" acratech plate) it makes it very hard to feel comfortable using it. What I did do is added a Wimberley SK-100 (sidekick) to the acratech (set at 90°) to effectively have a gimbal mount. In doing so I had to add 1 1/2" of spacers to the sidekick to get the lens centered over the tripod vertical center. It does work but what I ended up doing is design a replacement foot for the lens to lower it that 1 1/2" and move the center of the foot to the balance center of the lens with a K-3 mounted to the lens. Whew! That was long winded. I have the prototype ordered and if that works out I'm curious as to how many others see the need for a replacement foot. I have an OLD Takamar 500mm lens and what my new 560 foot does (will do) is bring the lens center down to the height of the 500mm. I have added a picture of my design. Please don't steal it.
Attached Images

12-10-2021, 12:15 AM   #283
Pentaxian

A lot of effort and work on that DA560 foot! I wish it works as intented and ease your handling of the lens. I found the foot quite weird at first but now that I'm used to it I think it works fine as the DA 560 is a long lens and holding it by the front end of the foot makes it easier to focus and hold it steady especially on windy days! I have put a long arca plate (15cm is necessary) to balance well with my K-1 on the gimbal head of the tripod and I'm fine for both handheld and on tripod use.
12-11-2021, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’ve had my 560mm for a month now, using it on the K3-III and loving the image quality they produce together. The amount of purple fringing in the highlights is a little disappointing, but I’ve been content to spend a little more time in PP to deal with it. I wonder if a future firmware update will allow the K3-III to use the full extent of the focus points. It has challenged me to use the focus and compose method a little more, however. Still learning the lens but impressed with the sharpness.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
12-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #285
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Toolmaker Quote
What awesome pictures! I'll have to dig up some of my 560 shots. Not as nice as what I'm seeing but I'm learning the lens.
With the 560 in mind. I have an Acratech long lens head and what I find is that the height of the foot (+ 6" acratech plate) it makes it very hard to feel comfortable using it. What I did do is added a Wimberley SK-100 (sidekick) to the acratech (set at 90°) to effectively have a gimbal mount. In doing so I had to add 1 1/2" of spacers to the sidekick to get the lens centered over the tripod vertical center. It does work but what I ended up doing is design a replacement foot for the lens to lower it that 1 1/2" and move the center of the foot to the balance center of the lens with a K-3 mounted to the lens. Whew! That was long winded. I have the prototype ordered and if that works out I'm curious as to how many others see the need for a replacement foot. I have an OLD Takamar 500mm lens and what my new 560 foot does (will do) is bring the lens center down to the height of the 500mm. I have added a picture of my design. Please don't steal it.
I might be interested