Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2015, 05:20 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pinhole Lens Club

I have been using the 07 Mount Shield as my lens of the month for the Single In February 2015 challenge. It doesn't have a club yet. Any takers?

A couple of images for starters: all taken on the Q7.

Haya and Otoya

Red

Aquatherapy

08-23-2017, 05:30 AM - 5 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I couldn't find anywhere else for pinhole photos, so I decided to exhume this thread from the Lens Clubs crypt.

It occurred to me that hand-held pinhole photography should be possible with the high ISO levels available from a modern CMOS sensor, so I played around with the idea yesterday using a home-made pinhole on the K-S1. It made for an amusing afternoon's walk, if nothing else.

The first one is at 1/125th at ISO 16000, and the second one is 1/125th at ISO20000. I should have probably tried some of a more static subject at ISO 100 as well, but I really hate lugging a tripod around.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
12-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
szs

I am walking around with my noname "fell-out-of-ebay" pinhole as I type this.

I can't believe that there is only (now) three people in this club!!1!

Will post pictures later
12-05-2018, 01:02 AM - 2 Likes   #4
szs

And here we go.... The first one is made with the pinhole, the second one (for reference) with the Auto Revuenon 50mm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does anyone have any experience with the Rising Wide angle pinhole lens in K mount available from B&H?

It’s f180.
02-07-2019, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
Does anyone have any experience with the Rising Wide angle pinhole lens in K mount available from B&H?

It’s f180.
The only thing the Rising Wide angle pinhole lens is really good for is making a better pinhole lens out of it. The pinhole in the Rising is to large by at least a factor of 2 or 3. The other problem with the Rising is the the aluminum the hole is drilled through is way to thick. I don't think the Rising ƒ stop really equals ƒ180. You will only achieve the same fuzzy images shown already.

For best Pinhole results this set of laser drilled pinholes on really thin stainless steel sheets at Pinhole Resources is money better spent to get started. It's just a matter of fitting them to some sort of K-mount. For 35mm format a pinhole of around 0.0087 or smaller in size will give better detailed images. Pinhole Resources also sell pinhole lens caps.
02-27-2019, 04:59 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
My front porch, shot with a K-1, and a 0.3mm lens cap pinhole.

02-27-2019, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote

It’s f180.
I passed over it as the price was excessive.

Picked up a cheap "dustless" cap type from eBay, laser drilled to 0.3mm, with a layer of glass to "keep the dust out" of the camera.

I somehow wonder if the glass is causing some of the softness I get in the images I have made thus far.

02-28-2019, 02:06 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Picked up a cheap "dustless" cap type from eBay, laser drilled to 0.3mm, with a layer of glass to "keep the dust out" of the camera. I somehow wonder if the glass is causing some of the softness I get in the images I have made thus far.

For pinhole shots those are amazingly sharp. I'm wondering if the layer of glass might actually be having a slight focusing effect? Could you let us know the specific brand? I'd love to get one for myself.

Some more homemade pinhole tests from a couple of years ago:

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 02-28-2019 at 02:19 AM.
02-28-2019, 03:06 AM   #10
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Could you let us know the specific brand? I'd love to get one for myself.
It isn’t a brand, Dave, just a guy selling them on eBay, for about $12 or so. Having seen prices approaching $100 for a lens cap with a hole in it I thought it wouldn’t be a big loss trying the low cost one out. I think his eBay name is fireseller, and he bills them as “dustless”, because of the layer of glass.

As I mentioned, I think the glass does more harm than good, actually refracting the light and causing the soft glow in the images.

How much dust can get past a 0.3mm hole anyway?

I want to try one out that doesn’t have a layer of glass, and has a smaller hole, maybe 0.2mm, or even smaller. It looks like a smaller hole, on the thinnest possible material should give a better, sharper result.
02-28-2019, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I want to try one out that doesn’t have a layer of glass, and has a smaller hole, maybe 0.2mm, or even smaller. It looks like a smaller hole, on the thinnest possible material should give a better, sharper result.

Thinner material and the cleanest possible hole will make things sharper, but according to the Rayleigh formula 0.3mm is the right size for the focal length of a K Mount body cap pinhole. A smaller pinhole will make things blurrier because of diffraction. I've just been reading this very informative article that has a handy ready-reckoner at the end: Pinhole Design ? what Lord Rayleigh really said « Pinholes « Formulas And How-To « AlternativePhotography.com
02-28-2019, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was asking because years ago I bought a yellow cardboard pinhole camera that used 126 film cartridges. IIRC, one would strap it to a brick or something for stability. The pinhole was covered with a piece of cardboard in some kind of guide that would allow one to open it and count the seconds for the exposure. The film advance was a simple knob on top.
DoF extended from a few inches to inifinity. I’d photograph my sons GI Joes and their vehicles in the grass and was amazed at the DoF and the soft “realism” of that POV.

35 years later that same son plays a table top wargame call Bolt Action that uses highly detailed 25mm miniatures and scale scenery and I’m looking to get the same kind of POV even using my 15mm and 12mm miniatures for forced perspective shots. I figured I have all the modern technology to do it, I just need the primitive tech.

I have Q7s and the Lens Shield and 03 fisheye but haven’t tested to see if that delivers.
02-28-2019, 06:24 AM   #13
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Thinner material and the cleanest possible hole will make things sharper, but according to the Rayleigh formula 0.3mm is the right size for the focal length of a K Mount body cap pinhole. A smaller pinhole will make things blurrier because of diffraction. I've just been reading this very informative article that has a handy ready-reckoner at the end: Pinhole Design ? what Lord Rayleigh really said « Pinholes « Formulas And How-To « AlternativePhotography.com

Thanks for the info Dave, very informative stuff there.

Gives me more to think about.
09-14-2019, 07:24 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

A couple of pictures by K1 and the lens I made

09-14-2019, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
A couple of pictures by K1 and the lens I made

Those are wonderful. Please tell us how you made the lens, because I for one definitely want to know so that I can copy it shamelessly.