Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2020, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #2296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
wtlwdwgn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Billings, MT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,516
Beautiful images Marcus and Eric.


Has anyone tried the 1.4x tele-extender with this lens?

06-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #2297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Wales
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,364
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Has anyone tried the 1.4x tele-extender with this lens?
Yes, in fact I have a suite of test pics, K3-ii + DFA with the Pentax 1.4x, a kenko 1.5x, teleplus 1.7x and a tamron 1.4x. All worked fine (in good light), all held up iq pretty well - it's the base lens that counts mostly. The pentax 1.4x was only marginally the best. I have been intending to do a write up but haven't decided how...

Last edited by marcusBMG; 06-03-2020 at 02:52 PM.
06-03-2020, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #2298
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,557
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Beautiful images Marcus and Eric.


Has anyone tried the 1.4x tele-extender with this lens?
Thanks! I haven't tried a TC on the 450mm yet, though I do own the Tamron AF PZ 1.4x TC it was sluggish beyond my patience level on my DA*300, and bow to Marcus's more knowledgeable reply.

I have been waiting for either the K-New, which will hopefully have the extra pixels on the image space, or the new HD FF TC... or maybe both? I am thinking the K-New will be fun with this lens for birding, especially if the AF and speed is improved. The big question that remains is which sensor they used. The K-New will take up more room in my bag and cost more than a TC, but I'm hoping that's my first option, because well, we all like new toys, right?

Eric
06-03-2020, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #2299
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Wales
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,364
I should add I haven't really taken the combo out and used it in earnest. tduell has posted a lot of pics with the combo though in the 300mm+ thread.

06-04-2020, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #2300
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
wtlwdwgn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Billings, MT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,516
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Yes, in fact I have a suite of test pics, K3-ii + DFA with the Pentax 1.4x, a kenko 1.5x, teleplus 1.7x and a tamron 1.4x. All worked fine (in good light), all held up iq pretty well - it's the base lens that counts mostly. The pentax 1.4x was only marginally the best. I have been intending to do a write up but haven't decided how...
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Thanks! I haven't tried a TC on the 450mm yet, though I do own the Tamron AF PZ 1.4x TC it was sluggish beyond my patience level on my DA*300, and bow to Marcus's more knowledgeable reply.

I have been waiting for either the K-New, which will hopefully have the extra pixels on the image space, or the new HD FF TC... or maybe both? I am thinking the K-New will be fun with this lens for birding, especially if the AF and speed is improved. The big question that remains is which sensor they used. The K-New will take up more room in my bag and cost more than a TC, but I'm hoping that's my first option, because well, we all like new toys, right?

Eric
Thanks for the replies. I wondered what the images were like from other shooters. I have the Kenko 1.5x TC but my results are mixed so I don't use it very often mostly because of the need for high ISOs.
06-05-2020, 06:53 AM - 4 Likes   #2301
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,557
Xposted from K-1 thread:

Contact

Pentax K-1 HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW ƒ/11.0 450.0 mm 1/500 iso100
06-05-2020, 09:56 AM - 5 Likes   #2302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 536
It looks like this barn swallow is feeling the full brunt of 2020 too.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
06-06-2020, 05:00 AM - 5 Likes   #2303
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,941
Swamp Wallaby




Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 06-08-2020 at 04:36 AM.
06-08-2020, 05:58 AM - 5 Likes   #2304
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,334

Southern Brown Bandicoot
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
06-08-2020, 06:17 AM - 4 Likes   #2305
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,941
Ha, yeh! I love a good 'coot.

06-09-2020, 05:32 AM - 7 Likes   #2306
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,334

Eastern Rosella
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
06-09-2020, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #2307
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,516
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Beautiful images Marcus and Eric.


Has anyone tried the 1.4x tele-extender with this lens?
I did stack an old Vivitar 2x macro and a Tamron1.4x teleconverter on mine once. Back in June 2016 I was in Yellowstone and spotted a grizzly sow and her three cubs. They were well over a mile away, Turned out better than I thought it would. At that point I had a 1260mm f16 lens hanging on my K3. I usually reserve my teleconverters for faster glass. Here are the results.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-09-2020, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #2308
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,516
I really don't like the name of this place.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
06-09-2020, 06:37 PM - 2 Likes   #2309
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2017
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 121
Some local Osprey. Babies are being noisy. Parent(s) busy feeding them. K1ii.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
06-14-2020, 02:25 AM - 5 Likes   #2310
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,941
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bigma, camera, da*300, dc, detail, doubt, f4.5-5.6 ed dc, fa 150-450mm f4.5-5.6, flash, hd, hd pentax-d fa, lens, lenses, mode, pentax lens, pentax-d, pentax-d fa 150-450mm, photo, pic, pictures, pm, post, post your hd, quality, samples, shots, sigma, tav, tc
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD PENTAX DA 560 mm f/5,6 ED AW HavelockV Lens Sample Photo Archive 47 10-26-2020 03:24 AM
HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW D1N0 Pentax News and Rumors 1426 07-07-2017 03:47 AM
HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR: A Closer Look Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 10 09-16-2014 08:22 AM
HD PENTAX DA 645 28-45mm F4.5 ED AW SR Lens Review i83N Pentax News and Rumors 2 08-04-2014 07:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:29 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top