Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8188 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2021, 12:35 PM - 4 Likes   #2806
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Xposted from K-1 thread:

Who knew, Sandpiper play horse shoe's...

Pentax K-1 HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW ƒ/7.1 450.0 mm 1/2500 iso1250

10-23-2021, 05:33 PM   #2807
Veteran Member

Does anyone carry their 150-450 with a two point sling strap - one point on the foot and one on the body?

I'm currently carrying with a two point strap to an eye bolt on the foot (and a safety tether around the lens body), like so:

But I'm looking for a way to help reduce stress on the tripod mount (we've all seen the photos of the broken ones...), but the only way to do that would be a sling strap with one point on the body. (Now if only they had gotten the design right and put two strap points on the tripod collar.... or a non fancy tripod foot...) And the nature of this would have to be a quick release strap - where the best option I can see is the PD slide. Which is quite pricey, so looking for any feedback from folks carrying the setup in this manner. Or any other carrying suggestions, that are comfortable and leave the camera ready to use.
10-23-2021, 05:48 PM   #2808
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Does anyone carry their 150-450 with a two point sling strap - one point on the foot and one on the body?

I'm currently carrying with a two point strap to an eye bolt on the foot (and a safety tether around the lens body), like so:

But I'm looking for a way to help reduce stress on the tripod mount (we've all seen the photos of the broken ones...), but the only way to do that would be a sling strap with one point on the body. (Now if only they had gotten the design right and put two strap points on the tripod collar.... or a non fancy tripod foot...) And the nature of this would have to be a quick release strap - where the best option I can see is the PD slide. Which is quite pricey, so looking for any feedback from folks carrying the setup in this manner. Or any other carrying suggestions, that are comfortable and leave the camera ready to use.
Yes, always. I used to use a Black Rapid strap, both ends of which connect to the eye bolt on the foot. I now use a Peak Design Slide, which has one link to the foot and one to the camera. This is safer and also more stable. I do not use any sort of backup safety strap. The Peak Design slide isn't "pricey" in relation to the DFA 150-450.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 10-23-2021 at 05:56 PM.
10-24-2021, 05:29 AM   #2809
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whoa - hadn't seen those broken TF threads. I just made a precautionary inspection of the foot on my 150-450mm, looks ok. I think the eyebolt I added to mine (post 1836) is in a position that puts less leverage on the foot.
Nice bowline btw bertwert.

10-24-2021, 08:23 AM   #2810
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yes, always. I used to use a Black Rapid strap, both ends of which connect to the eye bolt on the foot. I now use a Peak Design Slide, which has one link to the foot and one to the camera. This is safer and also more stable. I do not use any sort of backup safety strap. The Peak Design slide isn't "pricey" in relation to the DFA 150-450.
Thanks for the feedback. As far as the PD not being pricey in relation to the 150-450... fair point, but that's a dangerous game to play as a lot of things aren't very pricey in relation to it... and it adds up quick!

I'll have to see if I want to go that route still, as I really like the way it hangs right now - very comfortable and quick access.

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Whoa - hadn't seen those broken TF threads. I just made a precautionary inspection of the foot on my 150-450mm, looks ok. I think the eyebolt I added to mine (post 1836) is in a position that puts less leverage on the foot.
Nice bowline btw bertwert.
Sorry to scare you and bring your attention to that - and yeah I've seen your eyebolt method and think it's pretty nifty. Not so much worried about anything hitting the ground, as the safety tether is going to prevent that. Just worried if it does break, the replacement is really hard to find and would have to send in for costly repairs. That being said, I imagine it's fine - bearing a mostly static load generally, rather than a sudden force exerted sideways or something. As far as the bowline - I've done a fair bit of climbing and field craft - I like my knots
10-24-2021, 05:37 PM   #2811
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Or any other carrying suggestions, that are comfortable and leave the camera ready to use.
This is the way I have mine set up. Still able to use with a Monopod or on a Tripod with gimbal as is or unclip the sling and use the wrist strap.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-25-2021, 06:21 AM   #2812
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My main concern bertwert was taking the weight off the camera mount with a sling attached directly to the lens. That imo is our main concern but I am happy to be alerted to possible TM issues.

10-25-2021, 07:48 AM   #2813

I hadn't seen any posts on broken tripod feet, could someone please post the link?
It must have taken some force I would have thought. That foot is a solid lump of metal!
I see some suggestions of a two point fixing, one on the body and one on th lens. I would be wary of that as it could induce angular strain on the lens mount by being pulled first by one attachment point, then the other, or even both in different directions. Isn't the lens mount designed to be strong enough to support the camera weight anyway (when lens is mounted on a tripod) ? Not so sure the converse is true though with the weight of the 150-450mm. I've been guilty in the past of carrying the whole set up on a tripod over my shoulder, with the lens attached to the tripod. So far I got away with it. I might re-think that now. I wonder how you could get a second attachment point on the lens or foot apart from the second screw point of course. Maybe some adaptation of the neoprene weather covers with suitable reinforcement?
10-25-2021, 08:32 AM   #2814
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is one:

D-FA 150-450 & 70-200 broken tripod foot: a DIY solution - PentaxForums.com

So it's not really the foot itself, but the small interior part that facilitates the quick removal. There is also another thread where the OP describes fabricating the part.

IMO this is not likely to happen except in the case of a blow/knock against the foot. Like you I have been happily carrying the lens over my shoulder (on a monopod in my case), main concern for me the attachment at the foot, I try to use two screws to fix the arca plate to the foot.
ps mention again post 1863 by me is my eyebolt solution to attaching a sling to the lens.
10-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #2815
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hand Supports

I am just beginning to use these "handy" pods with this lens. I like the balance and the sense of stability. Cost me less than a dollar!

Any feedback on using these is welcome.

Cheers,
Loyd
Attached Images

10-25-2021, 10:07 AM - 2 Likes   #2816
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Xposted from K-1 thread:

I've always wondered how good a fish's vision was above the water line... after taking this shot, I'm guessing pretty good.

Strafing Heron frightens fish

Pentax K-1 HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW ƒ/7.1 450.0 mm 1/2500 iso400
10-25-2021, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #2817
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I stumbled into a little elk viewing at the Post Office in Orick, CA.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
10-26-2021, 05:28 AM - 9 Likes   #2818
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Powerful Owl sitting on a brush tail possum caught during the night. These possums grow to about 2.5kg (5.5lbs) or about the size of a big cat but they are regular meals for these owls. Powerful Owls have very large talons and are known to take prey that is 50-100% of their own body weight. I've included a closeup of their talons which they use to more or less instantly kill their prey with their lethal grip. This female has a wingspan of about 130cm (4 ft) and probably weighs just under 2 kgs - the possum weighing close to the same. Fantastic birds. Main photo taken with the K1ii & 150-450, talon shot from a couple of years ago with the K3 and DA* 300.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-26-2021, 12:21 PM - 3 Likes   #2819
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Xposted from K-1 Thread:

Going for a stroll...

Pentax K-1 HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW ƒ/7.1 450.0 mm 1/1600 iso160
10-26-2021, 04:17 PM   #2820
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RedBoomer Quote
A Powerful Owl sitting on a brush tail possum caught during the night. These possums grow to about 2.5kg (5.5lbs) or about the size of a big cat but they are regular meals for these owls. Powerful Owls have very large talons and are known to take prey that is 50-100% of their own body weight. I've included a closeup of their talons which they use to more or less instantly kill their prey with their lethal grip. This female has a wingspan of about 130cm (4 ft) and probably weighs just under 2 kgs - the possum weighing close to the same. Fantastic birds. Main photo taken with the K1ii & 150-450, talon shot from a couple of years ago with the K3 and DA* 300.
Powerful owls always look annoyed that you've disturbed them.