Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8188 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #616
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boydbowlin Quote
yes the Robin was taken at Tenterfield on our way back home in September 2015
That makes sense - although I've been amazed by some of the birds to be found around Canberra. Canberra is quite dry these days, and to see Yellow Robins, King Parrots and Satin Bowerbirds has been a surprise!

02-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #617
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New member in club; one question

Hi all. My 150-450 is in the mail, thanks in large part to the outstanding images on this thread and also because I wanted better reach and more flexibility than my 300 can offer; . . . and I simply can't justify buying the 560.

So, I can't wait until UPS delivers my box from B&H.

Now my question -- What do you all use for lens support on the tripod; a ball head or gimbal? I am looking at low to mid-priced gimbals (Promaster, Movo, etc,) but wonder if it is overkill for this lens.

Please let me know what you would recommend. I bought a Feisol Tournament so I'm good on the sticks. Now I need to find the right head.

Thx
02-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #618
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
BIFs with TCON

A few from today, all handheld with Pentax HD 1.4 TC, wide open (f/8) at 630mm, subject distance approx. 150m.

About 10% keepers from burst mode but I had the wrong AF setting to start with. Not super sharp, but given the subject distance and handholding with the TC, overall I am happy enough with them.

I want this tree to myself!

100% crop

Go away!

100% crop

Finally the tree is mine.

100% crop

I can't seem to get the EXIF link above each photo like some posts have, maybe it is something to do with using the 'Insert Album Photos' link under the smilies to the right of the message pane?

Last edited by Dieseler; 02-03-2016 at 06:09 AM. Reason: overestimated subject distance
02-02-2016, 09:34 AM   #619
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TroutHunterJohn Quote
Now my question -- What do you all use for lens support on the tripod; a ball head or gimbal? I am looking at low to mid-priced gimbals (Promaster, Movo, etc,) but wonder if it is overkill for this lens.
Congrats for your purchase!
I have a "basic" tripod (Cullman Nanomax 460M), perfectly fine for me. I don't like ball heads, and gimbals are expensive & heavy... In most cases I use a monopod, the tripod is only for moon shots & when I'm in a hide.

QuoteQuote:
A few from today, all handheld with Pentax HD 1.4 TC, wide open (f/8) at 630mm, subject distance approx. 250m.
That's similar to what I get with the TC too, or a bit better. I think I'm going to sell it, I nearly never use it.

02-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #620
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It works!

After reading WPresto's fine test, I splurged on a 1.4xTC and the 150-450 lens. Setting up at home, I found that the lens needed no focus adjustment, with or without the TC.
I did the first real test of the combo on Jan 24 at the elephant seal rookery in Piedras Blancas, CA. As it turned out, I didn't need the TC, since the seals were very close to the viewing area. All my shooting was done with a K3, lens rigidly mounted on a monopod, SR on, AF-S spot focus, f/8.0 and 1/800 sec. The first one was at 280mm; the second at 630.
Elephant seals don't move very quickly, in no way comparable to BIF. But focus was quick and decisive, with absolutely no hunting. I'd say 90% of the shots were in focus. The one at 630mm didn't impress me until I saw that focus was on the eyes of the foreground seal. So far, so good--I might sell my Sigma 120-400.

02-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #621
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi all. My 150-450 is in the mail, thanks in large part to the outstanding images on this thread and also because I wanted better reach and more flexibility than my 300 can offer; . . . and I simply can't justify buying the 560.

So, I can't wait until UPS delivers my box from B&H.

Please let me know what you would recommend. I bought a Feisol Tournament so I'm good on the sticks. Now I need to find the right head.

Thx

I use a Nest NT-530H Gimbal head mounted on a Vanguard Auctus Plus 323CT tripod. There was a heck of a sale on the tripod at B&H when I got it last year. It seems to work pretty good. Since then I also added a Promaster GH-10 to the fold. I was out in Bismarck ND last year and they had them for $129. Pretty good for the price. I did try the beast on a ball head and did not like it at all.

FWIW, I took the photos with my Pemtax MX-1. I love that little critter.

02-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #622
Pentaxian

I am looking at low to mid-priced gimbals (Promaster, Movo, etc,) but wonder if it is overkill for this lens.

Thx
I am currently thinking about a gimbal too, the one I am keen on currently due to its reasonable price is the Manfrotto 393. The main issue I see with it may be the fact that the double-sided design blocks access to the focus ring, but there could be enough of a gap there. BTW, dimensions of the Manfrotto are not on their website (a major oversight IMO) but I found them here .

02-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #623
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timautin Quote

That's similar to what I get with the TC too, or a bit better. I think I'm going to sell it, I nearly never use it.
I think you should be able to get much better results with the TC on a tripod. This was basically the worst case scenario, being handheld, wide open aperture and distant subject, although the light was good.
02-03-2016, 03:21 AM   #624
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
I think you should be able to get much better results with the TC on a tripod. This was basically the worst case scenario, being handheld, wide open aperture and distant subject, although the light was good.
Well, I tried, and I didn't. I found that the lost in IQ doesn't worth it, and I always prefer to try to get closer, or crop, or don't have take shot.
Moreover with the 150-450 I have now enough reach, with the quality I was looking for
02-03-2016, 06:13 AM   #625
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timautin Quote
Well, I tried, and I didn't. I found that the lost in IQ doesn't worth it, and I always prefer to try to get closer, or crop, or don't have take shot.
Moreover with the 150-450 I have now enough reach, with the quality I was looking for
OK, fair enough. I would have liked to get closer for those shots but they were just a quick opportunity as I drove past.

On another note, I drove past the same spot again and realised I overestimated the distance, it was more like 150m. I have edited the original post.
02-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #626
Veteran Member

Thanks for the note. It seems like this lens is heavy enough that, when used on a tripod, a gimbal head may be warranted. I'm looking at this one as a mid-priced gimbal with fairly good reviews. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016V1AVV4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I use a Nest NT-530H Gimbal head mounted on a Vanguard Auctus Plus 323CT tripod. There was a heck of a sale on the tripod at B&H when I got it last year. It seems to work pretty good. Since then I also added a Promaster GH-10 to the fold. I was out in Bismarck ND last year and they had them for $129. Pretty good for the price. I did try the beast on a ball head and did not like it at all.

FWIW, I took the photos with my Pemtax MX-1. I love that little critter.

---------- Post added 02-03-16 at 07:09 AM ----------

I too worry about the double support gimbal getting in the way of reaching the lens controls like buttons, zoom, and focus. I imagine that design is very stable though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
I am currently thinking about a gimbal too, the one I am keen on currently due to its reasonable price is the Manfrotto 393. The main issue I see with it may be the fact that the double-sided design blocks access to the focus ring, but there could be enough of a gap there. BTW, dimensions of the Manfrotto are not on their website (a major oversight IMO) but I found them here .
02-05-2016, 02:32 AM - 2 Likes   #627
Veteran Member

Botanical Gardens

A couple from yesterday. K3 with 1.4tc. I used a Manfrotto tripod with the bottom section extended by 150mm, a Beike45 gimbal head which is sufficient for the purpose.

The first is a juvenile blue faced honey eater, photographed in deep shade.

The second is a captive cockatiel sitting in an aviary.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #628
Veteran Member

Really sharp images, Murra. It is nice to see the combination of the leas and 1.4tc perform so well. Nice job controlling vibration and image noise when shooting in the challenging conditions.
02-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #629
Veteran Member

I like using this lens, but I have a lot to learn in handling it. The combination with the 1.4tc works well.
02-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What really confuses me is the fact that some people say that, without any PP, they will get super sharp images with the lens alone with/or without the TC.
Then again, some say that it is always "soft" at the long end, and I can realize that after seeing so many photos here.
So, is this a matter of photographic skills or perhaps a matter of "good and bad copies" of the said TC/lens ??? Or both?
Very tough to decide.
Nonetheless, there are so many superb images here that we could build a book, no problem !