Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2016, 03:14 PM - 5 Likes   #856
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Superb Fairy-wren

Hello All,
This little male wren took exception to all the interlopers he reckoned I had brought to his territory in my car.
He could see them in every window and mirror, and set about letting them know he was 'the man' around here.
He was not at all concerned about my presence, but that didn't make it any easier to get a good shot of him as he hardly sat still for a few milliseconds.
These birds aren't the easiest to shoot as their colour scheme usually plays havoc with the exposure.
K-1, D FA 150-450, 1.4x

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #857
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Hello All,
This little male wren took exception to all the interlopers he reckoned I had brought to his territory in my car.
He could see them in every window and mirror, and set about letting them know he was 'the man' around here.
He was not at all concerned about my presence, but that didn't make it any easier to get a good shot of him as he hardly sat still for a few milliseconds.
These birds aren't the easiest to shoot as their colour scheme usually plays havoc with the exposure.
K-1, D FA 150-450, 1.4x
Excellent shot!

I find the same issue with these small birds in that even with the 150-450 vs the 55-300 I used before, AF on the K5IIs is not fast enough still, the K1 must be better in this respect. I hope that the next APS-C flagship has substantial AF improvements.
09-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #858
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello All,
Nice shot especially considering the challenges of trying to photograph male fairy wrens.

I hope he didn't mark the car as his territory by leaving too many "calling cards". My car usually gets it below the driver's side rear view mirror.
09-07-2016, 11:06 PM   #859
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
Nice shot especially considering the challenges of trying to photograph male fairy wrens.

I hope he didn't mark the car as his territory by leaving too many "calling cards". My car usually gets it below the driver's side rear view mirror.
Haha, yes he left his mark in quite a few places. I had to do a bit of cleaning when I got home

Cheers,
Terry

09-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #860
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello All,
Fabulous shot. You're using the 1.4x TC with the 15-450. How quick and reliable is the AF with that combination? My frustration with the DA*300 is that it's painfully slow to focus, with no focus limiter.
09-12-2016, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #861
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Fabulous shot. You're using the 1.4x TC with the 15-450. How quick and reliable is the AF with that combination? My frustration with the DA*300 is that it's painfully slow to focus, with no focus limiter.
Thanks.
Up until recently I have used the 150-450 on my k-3 II and that combination focusses very fast.
I really haven't noticed any difference in focussing speed with 1.4x TC and K-1.
I usually have it set on 6m-inf. Using the 'full' focus range can be slower.

Cheers,
Terry
09-19-2016, 02:25 AM   #862
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks.
Up until recently I have used the 150-450 on my k-3 II and that combination focusses very fast.
I really haven't noticed any difference in focussing speed with 1.4x TC and K-1.
I usually have it set on 6m-inf. Using the 'full' focus range can be slower.
Thanks Terry. The only lens I have to use the TC with is the DA*300 which is very slow and has no focus limiter.

09-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #863

Has anyone seen the recent (I think recent) offers on Amazon, when viewed as USED, for this lens available for around $1000 US dollars? Ships from Texas (not Japan, my first thought). My dad has emailed them, they replied right back describing their ability to ship and sell at such a low price point. Here was their response:

Hello,

Thanks for your interest! Pentax HD D FA 150-450mm f4.5-5.6ED DC AW Super-Telephoto Lens for Pentax KAF Cameras is Brand New in original sealed box, never used, without scratches, 2 Year full warranty. It comes with all the supplied accessories. The total price is $1,098.00, including all shipping and insurance fees to United States / Canada. (3-5 business days).

The price is less than usual, because we have special offers and discounts in this period. The offer lasts 7 days. Take advantage while the offer lasts.

The transaction is through Amazon Payments; payment method is through Amazon Gift Card and you are covered by A-to-z Guarantee Protection. You can easily buy an Amazon Gift Card using your credit card directly on the Amazon website.

Return policy is full money back or replace the product, you can return it for any reason at all within 30 days.

If you want to buy, please confirm your full name and shipping address and I will place an order on Amazon for you; and then you receive the order confirmation from them with all details about the next steps to complete your purchase.
We will reserve the item and you will soon receive the order confirmation from Amazon.

Best regards,
SmartBuy Point Team

Does this seem legit to you all? Is this too good to be true??
Thanks everyone,
-Dean
Attached Images

09-26-2016, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #864
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcerrati Quote
Does this seem legit to you all? Is this too good to be true??
You are kidding right?

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole ... in fact anything that says contact them before purchase/ordering is likely to be as dodgy as hell.
09-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #865
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcerrati Quote
Has anyone seen the recent (I think recent) offers on Amazon, when viewed as USED, for this lens available for around $1000 US dollars? Ships from Texas (not Japan, my first thought). My dad has emailed them, they replied right back describing their ability to ship and sell at such a low price point. Here was their response:

The transaction is through Amazon Payments; payment method is through Amazon Gift Card and you are covered by A-to-z Guarantee Protection. You can easily buy an Amazon Gift Card using your credit card directly on the Amazon website.

Sounds like they are going to get you to buy a gift card on amazon and send them the code. At which point, they redeem the gift code, and keep your money. Do be careful, and never let people manipulate you into checking out by some weird method!
09-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #866

Thank you to those who commented about the weird pricing offer. When something seems to good to be true, it usually is. My apologies for distracting this thread from the amazing images, and lens specific focus it's meant to be.
10-10-2016, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #867
Veteran Member

10-10-2016, 09:50 PM - 8 Likes   #868
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
from yesterday in San Francisco:

Angels Over Lombard
K3II & DFA150-450 @450mm
handheld
10-11-2016, 09:03 AM - 5 Likes   #869
Pentaxian