Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2017, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #946
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find it interesting how the heads of these "flying foxes" differ from the ones timautin photographed

these are Great Indian Fruit Bats Pteropus giganteus.photographed in the Rain Forest Exhibit at the Topeka Zoological Park

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-20-2017, 05:12 AM   #947
Pentaxian

Yes, the one I saw are a different specie, a bit smaller (but still huge!!): the black flying fox (Pteropus alecto).
03-20-2017, 05:16 AM   #948
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timautin Quote
Yes, the one I saw are a different specie, a bit smaller (but still huge!!): the black flying fox (Pteropus alecto).
I have only seen a few species of bat, once in a house, once at an African lodge in the Serengeti and in zoos, but these Indian fruit bats are the largest I have seen by far

Their wings and feet are very interesting
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-20-2017 at 05:27 AM.
03-20-2017, 06:46 AM   #949
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
but these Indian fruit bats are the largest I have seen by far
Well if I'm not mistaken they are the largest in the world ^^

EDIT: after a quick search, the largest seems to be the golden-crowned flying fox (Acerodon jubatus)

03-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #950
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Well if I'm not mistaken they are the largest in the world ^^

EDIT: after a quick search, the largest seems to be the golden-crowned flying fox (Acerodon jubatus)
if you trust Wikipedia (an encyclopedia of any sort is only a good starting point for research, IMHO, YMMV)

here is more info on size of fruit bats than you may want to know:

Pteropus - Wikipedia

it states that a different fruit bat is largest:

"The large flying fox (P. vampyrus) is generally reported as the largest Pteropus,[1] but a few other species may match it, at least in some measurements. The large flying fox has a wingspan up to 1.5 m (4 ft 11 in) and five individuals weighed 0.65–1.1 kg (1.4–2.4 lb).[11][12] Even greater weights, up to 1.6 kg (3.5 lb) and 1.45 kg (3.2 lb), have been reported for the Indian flying fox (P. giganteus) and great flying fox (P. neohibernicus), respectively.[1][13] The black-bearded flying fox (P. melanopogon) is massive and may be heavier than all other megabats, but exact weight data are not available.[14] Comparably, no full wingspan measurements are available for the great flying fox (P. neohibernicus), but with a forearm length up to 206 mm (8.1 in),[13] it may even surpass the large flying fox (P. vampyrus) where the forearm is up to 200 mm (7.9 in).[11] Outside this genus, the giant golden-crowned flying fox (Acerodon jubatus) is the only bat with similar dimensions.[1]"

I think this is your bat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_flying_fox:

"The black flying fox has short, black hair with a contrasting reddish-brown mantle, and a mean forearm length of 164 mm (6.46 in) and a mean weight of 710 g (1.57 lb). It is one of the largest bat species in the world, and has a wingspan of more than 1 m."

here is the info on bats

Bat - Wikipedia

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-20-2017 at 07:24 AM.
03-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #951
Pentaxian

Yeah seems to be a lack of serious studies about these species! Still, they are all huge compared to the europeans bats I'm used to, and very interesting to see
03-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #952
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sorry for the OT post, but I see that there's a few others on this subject. I don't yet have a DFA 150-450, but I've been teetering on the edge of buying one for some time, so thanks for this thread. Here's a couple of Little Red Flying Foxes in Canberra, Australia. The lens combination - DA*300 with HD DA 1.4x TC. This is the sort of thing I hope to photograph with the DFA lens.

---------- Post added 21-03-17 at 11:01 AM ----------

Yeah seems to be a lack of serious studies about these species! Still, they are all huge compared to the europeans bats I'm used to, and very interesting to see
Flying Foxes are very different from microbats, for sure!

03-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #953
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Sorry for the OT post, but I see that there's a few others on this subject. I don't yet have a DFA 150-450, but I've been teetering on the edge of buying one for some time, so thanks for this thread. Here's a couple of Little Red Flying Foxes in Canberra, Australia. The lens combination - DA*300 with HD DA 1.4x TC. This is the sort of thing I hope to photograph with the DFA lens.

---------- Post added 21-03-17 at 11:01 AM ----------

Flying Foxes are very different from microbats, for sure!
nice photos

post a nice cheetah photo and I, for one, will forgive you.

check out the Wild Life thread and you will figure out why

it has been a long time so you know what is coming don't ya

bonding time over a meal

note the hair on the back of the cub, [we were told it was less than 4 months old b/c of its coat] its coloration made it possible for it to disappear among the grasses if it crouched down and froze

1 "that's right Junior, that is the way to eat, back to front"

2 "go ahead mom, I'm eyeballing those photographers, it's safe to eat"

Read more at: Wildlife - PentaxForums.com
03-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #954
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

post a nice cheetah photo and I, for one, will forgive you.
Unfortunately I'd have to spend quite a bit of money to get good Cheetah photos, since I live in Australia.
03-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #955
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately I'd have to spend quite a bit of money to get good Cheetah photos, since I live in Australia.
I was lucky enough to spend time in Sydney, Melbourne and Hobart, way too limited, while on cruise from Sydney to South Island/ North Island New Zealand, so I don't know Australia much but don't you folks have any in a zoo?

That is the only way I can find them without returning to Africa
03-20-2017, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #956
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was lucky enough to spend time in Sydney, Melbourne and Hobart, way too limited, while on cruise from Sydney to South Island/ North Island New Zealand, so I don't know Australia much but don't you folks have any in a zoo? That is the only way I can find them without returning to Africa
Actually, there's at least one in the zoo where I live in Canberra, for which the entry fee is $40. They have a "meet a Cheetah" facility which costs $160 to get up close and personal, but anyway, I did say good photos of a Cheetah. It's hard to get good photos of animals in zoos where the animal doesn't obviously look like a captive one, especially big cats. The only semi-decent photos I got of big cats at the National Zoo were of Lions and a Tiger, which were restless at closing time because they were being fed.

It's a bit of a yawn
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

King of the Pride

Easier to photograph somewhat less dangerous animals.

Still on Sentry Duty
03-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #957
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, there's at least one in the zoo where I live in Canberra, for which the entry fee is $40. They have a "meet a Cheetah" facility which costs $160 to get up close and personal, but anyway, I did say good photos of a Cheetah. It's hard to get good photos of animals in zoos where the animal doesn't obviously look like a captive one, especially big cats. The only semi-decent photos I got of big cats at the National Zoo were of Lions and a Tiger, which were restless at closing time because they were being fed.

It's a bit of a yawn

King of the Pride

Easier to photograph somewhat less dangerous animals.

Still on Sentry Duty
$40 ouch

Canberra that is the national capital isn't it?

very nice work

yeah, my experience is that it isn't easy and please don't ask how I got 2 and 3 to turn out as well as they did, lucky I guess

and yes, I would much rather capture the image of a wild animal in the wild but what can you do

obviously from your posted photos of the lion and tiger you get them once in a while

[folks please don't check out what lens I used for these]

1 is easy, no fence visible, vegetation is wrong but nice photo I've been told

2 the chain fence is slightly visible

2 same animal, chain fence not discernable

all at the Kansas City Zoo in Kansas City Missouri about 70 miles away one way
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #958
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

$40 ouch. Canberra that is the national capital isn't it?
The national zoo is not cheap, especially if you want to take a family along. Yes, Canberra is the national capital.

QuoteQuote:
very nice work
Thanks! You also did well to frame them in a way that minimises the situation.

QuoteQuote:
obviously from your posted photos of the lion and tiger you get them once in a while
The reason for my initial response was that I've been to zoos many times and generally unless you are there at feeding time, the only thing big cats will be doing is sleeping. Unless it's a really old fashioned zoo where the animal is stressed and pacing.
03-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #959
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

The national zoo is not cheap, especially if you want to take a family along. Yes, Canberra is the national capital.

Thanks! You also did well to frame them in a way that minimises the situation.

The reason for my initial response was that I've been to zoos many times and generally unless you are there at feeding time, the only thing big cats will be doing is sleeping. Unless it's a really old fashioned zoo where the animal is stressed and pacing.
Thanks for the compliment

Yeah, our lions at our local Topeka Zoological Park are like that, we have 3 young Sumatran Tigers females who are active, they will be 4 this may and will be shipped out to other zoos never to return this spring. Our cougars are a little more active as well.

Keep up the good work
03-26-2017, 10:47 AM - 3 Likes   #960
Veteran Member

Photo bomber

Cranes resting at Lake Hornborga, Sweden.