06-14-2017, 10:34 AM - 5 Likes   #1006
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One More ....

06-14-2017, 12:01 PM - 2 Likes   #1007
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

North American River Otter Lontra canadensis in the Yellowstone River in the Hayden Valley in Yellowstone National Park

North American River Otter - National Wildlife Federation
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-16-2017, 01:54 PM - 5 Likes   #1008
Forum Member

Some bird wildlife from Andalusia, Spain (KP + 150-450):

06-20-2017, 03:49 AM   #1009
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the pose of this Grizzly sow reminds me of a pointer

"hey, what you are looking for is up this way"

"Hey ma, wait for me"

Raspberry is leading her almost grown cub Snowflake

look at the size of those claws

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-20-2017 at 04:04 AM.
06-20-2017, 10:54 AM - 3 Likes   #1010
Veteran Member

I've been taking a lot of Dragonfly pics recently, a favourite subject of mine. Macro isn't often possible, as you can't get close enough before they shoot off, so the zoom is essential. I thought I'd see how far in I could crop, so here are the original image and the extreme crop. This lens really is sharp as a tack.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #1011
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevriano Quote
I've been taking a lot of Dragonfly pics recently, a favourite subject of mine. Macro isn't often possible, as you can't get close enough before they shoot off, so the zoom is essential. I thought I'd see how far in I could crop, so here are the original image and the extreme crop. This lens really is sharp as a tack.
I, too, have noticed how well the images holds up to extreme cropping

now if the lens only could go on a diet and shed a few ounces - - -
06-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #1012
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I, too, have noticed how well the images holds up to extreme cropping

now if the lens only could go on a diet and shed a few ounces - - -

Well yes, it's a hefty beast. Still manageable hand held though.

06-23-2017, 06:18 AM   #1013
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm hoping that the other DFA 150-450 owners can put my mind at rest. I got mine today and I'm wondering if two things are normal:
1. Is the zoom action normally quite stiff? For such an expensive lens I was expecting it to be a bit smoother. Does it free up a little with use? I know you don't want lens creep, but this seems a bit excessive.
2. Is there normally a gap of about 3mm between the zoom ring and the end section which has "HD Pentax-DFA" on it?

I realise that this thread is mainly for photos so my apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place. I hope to get some photos this weekend.

ObPhoto. I did get one sharp image with the lens before I lost the light.

Black Mountain
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

Last edited by RobG; 06-23-2017 at 06:31 AM.
06-23-2017, 06:34 AM   #1014
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I'm hoping that the other DFA 150-450 owners can put my mind at rest. I got mine today and I'm wondering if two things are normal:
1. Is the zoom action normally quite stiff? For such an expensive lens I was expecting it to be a bit smoother. Does it free up a little with use? I know you don't want lens creep, but this seems a bit excessive.
2. Is there normally a gap of about 3mm between the zoom ring and the end section which has "HD Pentax-DFA" on it?

I realise that this thread is mainly for photos so my apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place. I hope to get some photos this weekend.
I'm the peacemaker...
1. Yes it's totally normal. Mine was too and it's another sign of how well made this lens is! It will loosen up with use but always it has a robust feel...
2. Yes this gap is the fingertip protector! It's intentionally built that way to avoid any accidents due to the lens moving in and out and being so heavy.

Enjoy your lens. I consider it one of the best Pentax zoom lenses and the more I use it the more I love it. This lens surely is on par with the Canon 100-400 and I feel it better than the Nikon 80-400.

PS: beautiful photo! A nice example of the lens qualities

Last edited by redpit; 06-23-2017 at 06:37 AM. Reason: PS added!
06-23-2017, 06:52 AM   #1015
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I'm the peacemaker...
1. Yes it's totally normal. Mine was too and it's another sign of how well made this lens is! It will loosen up with use but always it has a robust feel...
2. Yes this gap is the fingertip protector! It's intentionally built that way to avoid any accidents due to the lens moving in and out and being so heavy.
OK, great. I just had the feeling that it was different before I first moved it, and moving the zoom for the first time was so stiff that I double checked that the lock was off.

QuoteQuote:
Enjoy your lens. I consider it one of the best Pentax zoom lenses and the more I use it the more I love it. This lens surely is on par with the Canon 100-400 and I feel it better than the Nikon 80-400.
Not having tried either, I'll take your word for it, but I will say that in the brief test this evening it was like I had a whole new AF system. The lens was locking on fast flying flocks of starlings despite it being after sunset. The lens never hunted once even though it failed to achieve a lock sometimes. I guess I'll find out more in daylight tomorrow!

QuoteQuote:
PS: beautiful photo! A nice example of the lens qualities
Thanks! It was the only thing available at the time with a decent amount of light.
06-23-2017, 10:43 AM - 4 Likes   #1016
Forum Member

@ Kevriano
Funny, I had excactly the same problem last weekend. Chasing Dragonflies, they would not let me get close enough to take decent shots with the 100mm macro lens. So I decided to give the 150-450 a try.
Cropping ability of the K1 is absolutely fantastic!

Following pics are around 80% crops.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #1017
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ukhozi Quote
@ Kevriano
Funny, I had excactly the same problem last weekend. Chasing Dragonflies, they would not let me get close enough to take decent shots with the 100mm macro lens. So I decided to give the 150-450 a try.
Cropping ability of the K1 is absolutely fantastic!

Following pics are around 80% crops.
Most excellent. Got to love the lens for this.
06-24-2017, 12:10 AM - 2 Likes   #1018
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

OK, I spent today walking around several locations with the DFA 150-450. Almost all the photos were hand held, with the exception of some I took in a permanent bird hide, where I could set the lens on the windowframe. It's going to take a while to copy them, but here's a start. Yes, I was pretty close, but it would have been really hard to get this image with the DA*300.

Dusky Moorhen
06-24-2017, 02:52 AM - 3 Likes   #1019
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Grey Teal

Grey Teal

---------- Post added 24-06-17 at 08:23 PM ----------

I did manage to get the DFA 150-450 to hunt. Or rather, I think it was the camera. With a badly backlit subject and lots of branches, the camera just lost the plot. I had to use quick-shift to get it in the ball-park. This isn't a complaint - frankly it's to be expected in the circumstances. So the photo below is to demonstrate the difficult situation that cause the camera to hunt, not to show off a good photo.

Hunting

In decent lighting conditions (actually even in poor light but not backlit), the ability of the K3+DFA 150-450 to achieve a lock was impressive. I even got a BIF, one which wouldn't have been possible with the DA*300, and a number of other shots which were possible because of the quick focus of the DFA lens.

Actually, with a bigger subject but very backlit, the lens still managed (and I managed to keep it steady somehow).

Crimson Rosella

Last edited by RobG; 06-24-2017 at 03:36 AM.
06-24-2017, 03:43 AM   #1020
Forum Member

Thank you - and yes! I certainly did not get this lens for macro photography. But together with the cropping ability of the K-1, it works quite well. I am not going to complain about it!

---------- Post added 06-24-17 at 12:49 PM ----------

I am only noticing now.
The dragonfly on your avatar pic seems to be of the same kind as the one on my pics?