Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

You dare enter my domain?
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

01-05-2022, 09:11 PM - 5 Likes   #2912
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No birds.. but a few favorites from this past summers time on the diamond.
I was shooting 2 games a day Saturday and Sunday from June to September.... Lots of dust, and clicks ( ~400 per game culled down to 30-40 for sharing with parents after) Criteria for culling was not about camera performance, but things like - can I see a face or number, is there a bat on a ball, or ball in a glove. What sort of emotion?

I shoot in TAv mode 1/800 @ ƒ8 in crop with AF-C.
01-07-2022, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #2913
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something a little more "on topic" for this thread....

Mergansers at Kings Bridge Park on the Niagara River (K-1 in crop mode with DFA 150-450 + HD DA 1.4X converter)

Some cropping in post too.... I have to bump shutter speeds with the 1.4X on... 1/800 wont cut it.

01-07-2022, 04:48 PM   #2914
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Something a little more "on topic" for this thread....

Mergansers at Kings Bridge Park on the Niagara River (K-1 in crop mode with DFA 150-450 + HD DA 1.4X converter)

Some cropping in post too.... I have to bump shutter speeds with the 1.4X on... 1/800 wont cut it.

Thats my neck of the woods. I'm in Lockport but I grew up in Niagara Falls. Since I've only just started birding, I've been trying to find good spots to go. You wouldn't happen to know any good areas for owls

01-07-2022, 04:56 PM   #2915
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
Thats my neck of the woods. I'm in Lockport but I grew up in Niagara Falls. Since I've only just started birding, I've been trying to find good spots to go. You wouldn't happen to know any good areas for owls
No - I've no luck finding owls yet, but I'm only really just started birding to any degree... (I have my Kaufman field guide and a tele lens... tell me where to point it!)
01-07-2022, 05:08 PM   #2916
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
No - I've no luck finding owls yet, but I'm only really just started birding to any degree... (I have my Kaufman field guide and a tele lens... tell me where to point it!)
I am on a few birding groups for our area on facebook. Some good pictures that several people (same people all the time it seems) post of owls but owl locations are always secret!

Some nice area's I have found over the summer are Reinstein woods on Como blvd and Tift nature preserve on Fuhruman blvd. Never knew of these spots and they are great so far.
01-07-2022, 06:14 PM   #2917
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am on a few birding groups for our area on facebook. Some good pictures that several people (same people all the time it seems) post of owls but owl locations are always secret!

Some nice area's I have found over the summer are Reinstein woods on Como blvd and Tift nature preserve on Fuhruman blvd. Never knew of these spots and they are great so far.

At the moment the river is too wide - the border practically impassible (because who can afford a 14 day isolation or hundreds of dollars In Tests…. )

01-07-2022, 06:17 PM   #2918
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, it's not a great time to cross. Have you tried looking for birds near the whirlpool and the gorge area? I believe there's access down there.
01-07-2022, 06:21 PM   #2919
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, it's not a great time to cross. Have you tried looking for birds near the whirlpool and the gorge area? I believe there's access down there.
No, I need to not be in a rush. The elevation is challenging cardiovascularly speaking. I might head down this weekend but I was hoping to be doing it with a mark iii instead of my K-1. Plans are delayed unfortunately.
01-08-2022, 05:59 AM - 14 Likes   #2920

Photos: Gallery
Apennine Chamois

Shot with D FA 150-450 and K3 III.

Regards,
Maurizio

01-09-2022, 05:57 AM - 7 Likes   #2921
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yellow-striped Hunter

---------- Post added 09-01-22 at 11:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by maucard Quote
Shot with D FA 150-450 and K3 III.
Beautiful!The only animal I recall seeing in the mountains in Europe was a Marmot in Austria.
01-09-2022, 08:54 AM   #2922
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote

Yellow-striped Hunter

Beautiful!The only animal I recall seeing in the mountains in Europe was a Marmot in Austria.
That is one top quality dragon-fly closeup, Rob. The 150-450 is an amazing lens
01-09-2022, 02:18 PM   #2923

Yellow-striped Hunter

Thank you! In general, it has become a little bit easier to see wild animals in the mountains of Italy (and I presume also in the rest of Europe) in the last ten years. Your dragonfly is wonderful! Regards, Maurizio
01-09-2022, 02:48 PM   #2924
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
That is one top quality dragon-fly closeup, Rob. The 150-450 is an amazing lens
Thanks! It sure is!

QuoteOriginally posted by maucard Quote
Thank you! In general, it has become a little bit easier to see wild animals in the mountains of Italy (and I presume also in the rest of Europe) in the last ten years. Your dragonfly is wonderful! Regards, Maurizio
That's great news, Maurizio! I travelled with my parents through the Italian Alps at Cortina many years ago, and more recently the St Bernard's pass and back through Lugano, but unfortunately we didn't have the time to hike in the mountains. Nevertheless, it's a beautiful part of the world. I have ancestors from Milan, and I am surprised how close it is to the mountains.
01-10-2022, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #2925

Thanks! It sure is!

That's great news, Maurizio! I travelled with my parents through the Italian Alps at Cortina many years ago, and more recently the St Bernard's pass and back through Lugano, but unfortunately we didn't have the time to hike in the mountains. Nevertheless, it's a beautiful part of the world. I have ancestors from Milan, and I am surprised how close it is to the mountains.
Yes, it is positive that also in the densely populated Europe some wild nature resists and in some cases (mainly thanks to a reduced hunting pressure or the institution of natural parks) proliferates.... I'm happy to know of your origins! You are right, Milan is quite near to the Alps, it is in a good location to start an "exploration" of that mountains. In general, this is a quite positive characteristic of Italy, cities tend to be near to natural areas, distances are not so great... and if next time you plan to come in central Italy, let me know!