Xposted from the K-1 thread:

Very nice in-flight shots.

09-09-2022, 06:05 AM   #3197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Very nice in-flight shots.
Thanks mucho! The K-1 & 150-450 combo makes me look better than I really am, heh.
Eric
09-09-2022, 01:30 PM - 5 Likes   #3198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Xposted from K-1 thread:

Missed a couple stragglers from that day, heh...

HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW ƒ/7.1 450.0 mm 1/2500 iso400

This poor porpoise has had a rough time... it looks like a speed boat left a scar on its back, and someone chewed up its dorsal too, unless those are love bites, then I guess a high 5 is in order. LOL!
09-11-2022, 03:42 AM - 4 Likes   #3199
aki

Vulture

I caught this vulture after a long day in the mountain . Here , this birds are very sneaky . Please , what do you think about it ?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
09-11-2022, 07:01 AM - 2 Likes   #3200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3 iii with 1.4X converter with minor crop (~10%)

---------- Post added 09-11-22 at 08:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Thanks mucho! The K-1 & 150-450 combo makes me look better than I really am, heh.
Eric
I think you are killing it - Opportunity + preparedness = results

Well done!
09-11-2022, 07:20 AM   #3201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aki Quote
I caught this vulture after a long day in the mountain . Here , this birds are very sneaky . Please , what do you think about it ?
I think it looks like a magnificent creature!

I wouldn't normally volunteer this, but since you asked... The picture you took of it looks like the white balance of a setting sun? Some people would have you try and correct that, but I like the tone as it is.

The sweet spot on that lens seems to be F7.1 for me, F8.0 MIGHT be a tiny fraction of a hair better, but it also might just be helping cover focus issues for me. I've never really tried F11 (unless it was middle of a sunny day) like you have for BIF near sunset before, but I'm thinking it's a little over kill, and you could get some IQ back with F7.1 and lower ISO or faster shutter or a little of both, but even if you hadn't asked, there is not a lot to complain about this shot, it's a nice catch, probably faithful to what you actually saw with your bare eyes.

Thanks for sharing!
Eric
09-11-2022, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #3202
aki

I wouldn't normally volunteer this, but since you asked... The picture you took of it looks like the white balance of a setting sun? Some people would have you try and correct that, but I like the tone as it is.

The sweet spot on that lens seems to be F7.1 for me, F8.0 MIGHT be a tiny fraction of a hair better, but it also might just be helping cover focus issues for me. I've never really tried F11 (unless it was middle of a sunny day) like you have for BIF near sunset before, but I'm thinking it's a little over kill, and you could get some IQ back with F7.1 and lower ISO or faster shutter or a little of both, but even if you hadn't asked, there is not a lot to complain about this shot, it's a nice catch, probably faithful to what you actually saw with your bare eyes.

Thanks for sharing!
Eric
Thank you for the wise advice; It's taken at 3:48 p.m. local time, and yes, I also like the warmth of WB; Regarding the f I will try to shoot more with f 8, although I do it; what type of focus do you use? Sometimes, even when moving, I use punctual and automatic; with the continuous and moving focus I can't get along with the kp, it seems to me that it doesn't follow the animal very much. Fantastic Pentaxforum .

09-11-2022, 08:57 AM - 4 Likes   #3203
aki

Thanks for sharing!
Eric
This was taken the same day and the same hour with f8 , a little bit less iso but different light and position . Like more the another pic .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
09-11-2022, 07:53 PM - 4 Likes   #3204
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aki Quote
This was taken the same day and the same hour with f8 , a little bit less iso but different light and position . Like more the another pic .
Both shots are pretty good.

When I finally got my K3 iii and the 150-450mm zoom (I already owned the KP and still do), I engaged a professional photographer/photography tutor for a day.

One of the things he pointed out re shooting birds in flight was that usually, your distance from the subject already provided good depth of field, so shutting down the aperture was not necessary. Upping the shutter speed was more important. I have an old school friend in Melbourne who has taken some amazing BIF shots of kites, etc and I have noticed his shutter speeds for most of these shots has been varying between 1/2000s to even 1/4000s.
My aperture choice for these shots is generally F5.6 to F6.3, maybe going to F7.1 if I think the bird is closer. I have been setting the ISO to float between 100 to around 2500 to 4000.
(I am almost always shooting in TaV mode.)
I also use Select (Medium) Continuous for the autofocus when shooting BIFs.

On the other hand, for perched birds, provided I am 7 metres or closer, I use spot focus, F8 or smaller (depending on the lighting, of course) and also try to keep the ISO down, especially if the bird is in shade. But when hand-holding the 150-450mm, I still try to keep the shutter speed as high as possible, to assist the Shake Reduction in fighting camera movement.

I must add the qualifier that the above is always my intention: sometimes the old brain forgets to switch settings as my subjects change from in flight to perched or still!!!!!

I have saved my preferred settings to User1 and User2 custom settings for quick switching between all these settings.

I have a small build and am 78 yrs old, so handling the 150-450mm for prolonged periods gets to be a challenge.

I have found the more I attempt BIF shots, the more my keeper to discard ratio improves. I must admit that since buying the K3 iii, the poor old KP stays on the back burner a lot.

Last edited by K2 to K50; 01-02-2023 at 07:51 PM.
09-12-2022, 08:06 AM - 2 Likes   #3205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally decided to bring the big lens to my wife's final game day. I thought the pics came out good considering it was overcast and sprinkling from time to time. Here are just 2 that I cropped and had on my phone for sharing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
09-13-2022, 07:23 AM   #3206
aki

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Both shots are pretty good.

When I finally got my K3 iii and the 150-450mm zoom (I already owned the KP and still do), I engaged a professional photographer/photography tutor for a day.

One of the things he pointed out re shooting birds in flight was that usually, your distance from the subject already provided good depth of field, so shutting down the aperture was not necessary. Upping the shutter speed was more important. I have an old school friend in Melbourne who has taken some amazing BIF shots of kites, etc and I have noticed his shutter speeds for most of these shots has been varying between 1/2000s to even 1/4000s.
My aperture choice for these shots is generally F5.6 to F6.3, maybe going to F7.1 if I think the bird is closer. I have been setting the ISO to float between 100 to around 2500 to 4000.
I also use Select (Medium) Continuous for the autofocus when shooting BIFs.

On the other hand, for perched birds, provided I am 7 metres or closer, I use spot focus, F8 or smaller (depending on the lighting, of course) and also try to keep the ISO down, especially if the bird is in shade. But when hand-holding the 150-450mm, I still try to keep the shutter speed as high as possible, to assist the Shake Reduction in fighting camera movement.

I must add the qualifier that the above is always my intention: sometimes the old brain forgets to switch settings as my subjects change from in flight to perched or still!!!!!

I have saved my preferred settings to User1 and User2 custom settings for quick switching between all these settings.

I have a small build and am 78 yrs old, so handling the 150-450mm for prolonged periods gets to be a challenge.

I have found the more I attempt BIF shots, the more my keeper to discard ratio improves. I must admit that since buying the KP3 iii, the poor old KP stays on the back burner a lot.
Thank you so very much !!!!!!!
09-15-2022, 07:16 AM - 10 Likes   #3207
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cross-Post.

Caught this as it flew from a tree on one side of my street to a tree on the other side of the street.

10-02-2022, 04:22 AM - 5 Likes   #3208
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Australian Reed Warbler
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
10-02-2022, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #3209
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote

I also use Select (Medium) Continuous for the autofocus when shooting BIFs...

I have found the more I attempt BIF shots, the more my keeper to discard ratio improves. I must admit that since buying the KP3 iii, the poor old KP stays on the back burner a lot.
The bolded sentence: You can float your ISO in a much wider range which will assist with keeping your shutter speeds high and that lens unshaken.

It's difficult for me to keep the 150-450 steady handheld which is why I often use a monopod with it, and I'm a decade younger than you. I've been successful with my ISO set to float between 200 and 12800 for most work, but when going on early morning wildlife hikes I'll change the upper limit to 25600. Your K3III will handle it well, probably best in class, so given the choice between a slightly noisy image that's very cleanable in post if you wish or a blurry out-of-focus one that gets tossed, go for the former and up that ISO to at least 12800 to allow for fast shutter in less than good light.
10-02-2022, 08:13 AM   #3210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The bolded sentence: You can float your ISO in a much wider range which will assist with keeping your shutter speeds high and that lens unshaken.

It's difficult for me to keep the 150-450 steady handheld which is why I often use a monopod with it, and I'm a decade younger than you. I've been successful with my ISO set to float between 200 and 12800 for most work, but when going on early morning wildlife hikes I'll change the upper limit to 25600. Your K3III will handle it well, probably best in class, so given the choice between a slightly noisy image that's very cleanable in post if you wish or a blurry out-of-focus one that gets tossed, go for the former and up that ISO to at least 12800 to allow for fast shutter in less than good light.
Your advice is good, I suspect. In fact I have started to increase the ISO upper limit beyond the 4000. I think I was reacting to the noise in some under-exposed shots, whereas probably if I had upped the ISO and not underexposed, there would probably have been less noise.
In fact, I recently shot a couple of macros at ISO 6400, and saw no perceptible noise problem.
So thanks for the encouragement to try shooting at higher ISO settings.