Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2016, 12:50 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Thank you!

Which other lenses are confirmed to be hot? Would the Prakticar (=Pancolar) 50 mm f1.4 qualify for this club?

Also, as I wrote in another thread it appears that all my radioactive gear is very good, do you guys think there is a "radioactive" look?
I don't think that there is a particular "radioactive look" with hot glass, but I do believe firmly that some of the old hot pieces were manufactured with a high degree of craftsmanship that could be considered slightly ahead of their time. This quality is retained through the decades due to that craftsmanship, and decent care of the glass and the inner workings. As for WHAT pieces are hot, I believe there is a compiled list that you can look up via google. I don't personally know what pieces are hot outside of the Asahi super takumar 50mm f/1.4 7-element. I do believe that forum member dcshooter would have quite a bit more knowledge as to what glass is hot. They're a verifiable encyclopedia of lens knowledge.

06-01-2016, 12:16 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
I don't think that there is a particular "radioactive look" with hot glass, but I do believe firmly that some of the old hot pieces were manufactured with a high degree of craftsmanship that could be considered slightly ahead of their time. This quality is retained through the decades due to that craftsmanship, and decent care of the glass and the inner workings. As for WHAT pieces are hot, I believe there is a compiled list that you can look up via google. I don't personally know what pieces are hot outside of the Asahi super takumar 50mm f/1.4 7-element. I do believe that forum member dcshooter would have quite a bit more knowledge as to what glass is hot. They're a verifiable encyclopedia of lens knowledge.
Yes perhaps I have been unclear, I mean "thorium oxide" look as it appears it was the most common low dispersion glass before flourite and the stuff Canon uses in L lenses.

However I post here a shot taken with my M5 and a Summicron 50mm DR because everybody likes a nice Leica pic, am I mistaken?

06-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have noticed that my Super-Takumar 55mm f1.8 lens's front element reflects with a slight amber hue, but I hadn't really thought about it. I checked it against the linked list of radioactive lenses, and the 55/1.8s listed there have different serial numbers than my lens...so I guess I am ineligible to join this club. Ratts! Also when I hold it up to the light I don't notice a yellowness to what it transmits, and certainly nothing like the earlier posted three examples of degrees of yellowing, the most extreme of which was almost a sepia.

Still, If I had such a lens, I'm not sure that I would worry about lightening the glass. I might prefer to think of it as the built-in nuclear warming filter feature. It might let me use tungsten slide film all the time (if they still make it). It might even add punch to black-and-white pictures with fluffy clouds in the background! What's not to like?

But, alas my lens -- S/N 1677828 -- only has false radioactive yellowing, not the real thing!
06-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I have noticed that my Super-Takumar 55mm f1.8 lens's front element reflects with a slight amber hue, but I hadn't really thought about it. I checked it against the linked list of radioactive lenses, and the 55/1.8s listed there have different serial numbers than my lens...so I guess I am ineligible to join this club. Ratts! Also when I hold it up to the light I don't notice a yellowness to what it transmits, and certainly nothing like the earlier posted three examples of degrees of yellowing, the most extreme of which was almost a sepia.

Still, If I had such a lens, I'm not sure that I would worry about lightening the glass. I might prefer to think of it as the built-in nuclear warming filter feature. It might let me use tungsten slide film all the time (if they still make it). It might even add punch to black-and-white pictures with fluffy clouds in the background! What's not to like?

But, alas my lens -- S/N 1677828 -- only has false radioactive yellowing, not the real thing!
There's still hope! Plenty of poor, neglected 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumars need loving homes, adopt one today at your local ebay or ff marketplace!

12-06-2016, 09:23 AM - 3 Likes   #50

SMC PENTAX 1:1.4/50 mounted on K-1 full frame DSLR.
Owning this lens a year now i rediscovered it the last weeks at 35mm.
There did come up a little yellowing of the rdioactive rear element after a year covered with a lens rear cap,
but colors are still ok and cooler temperated than with the SMC-M 1.4 50.
Seems to start up open with more contrast and sharpness than the SMC-M.

Two down scaled out of camera jpgs for example;
click into to enlarge original out of camera jpgs

f/1.4, ISO 100, K-1

12-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Those are wonderful pictures! You've definitely got some 3D style pop going on with your subjects. Ladies and gentlemen, the first 2 images of hot glass on a K-1 posted to the thread. Thank you D. Obermann for showing off your shots.
12-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #52

2 more with SMC (K) 1:1.4/50 mounted on 35mm (FF) Pentax K-1; @f/1.4; ISO 100...
...my Dobi Lady Koma aka amoK; back stage security during this upper showed horse models session...

---------- Post added 12-13-16 at 11:06 AM ----------

...and a little street like pictures with the SMC (K) 1:1:4/50 mounted on 35mm FF K-1; all @f /2.8; ISO 800;
earlier the same day; international dog show Hannover 2016...the (forbearance) rich and beautiful of the dogs world...

Last edited by D. Obermann; 12-13-2016 at 11:10 AM.
04-29-2017, 04:20 PM - 3 Likes   #53

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm guessing, that my favourite 50, the Auto Chinon MC 50mm f/1.4 has a radioactive element as well. It's getting a bit more yellowish... I just have to look through the viewfinder to notice. Even though it's an 80's lens, it's been hinted on several forums, that it may be radioactive. I only found out recently. But this has been my favourite lens and my first prime as well... and now that I shoot an MX too, this is my go-to lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
05-02-2017, 01:05 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D. Obermann Quote
SMC PENTAX 1:1.4/50 mounted on K-1 full frame DSLR.
Owning this lens a year now i rediscovered it the last weeks at 35mm.
There did come up a little yellowing of the rdioactive rear element after a year covered with a lens rear cap,
but colors are still ok and cooler temperated than with the SMC-M 1.4 50.
Seems to start up open with more contrast and sharpness than the SMC-M.

Two down scaled out of camera jpgs for example;
click into to enlarge original out of camera jpgs

f/1.4, ISO 100, K-1

amazing photos, everything is spot on !!
09-26-2017, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Two white balance versions of the same picture, taken with Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 7-element:

(cloudy/shade wb setting for that classic golden sunset)

(natural daytime wb setting)
09-26-2017, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure if my Super-Tak 55/1.8 is a member of the "hot club". Serial number 1672035 puts its manufacture date in the 1965-1971 range. Contradicting articles online, some say none of the 55/1.8s are hot, others say they are about 30% the radioactivity of the hottest taks. Regardless, it is a very fine lens. Pear tree succumbing to autumn taken with the K-1 at f/4.

11-19-2017, 06:17 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Glow and Bokeh

Pentax *istDS with Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4, wide open.

Reputation or not, I KNOW this one is hot because when I put the hospital's gamma probe near the rear element, the count went WAY up from background.
11-21-2017, 08:15 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice close up on the plant, and definitely good to see results from a hot 50. Lol... I often forget to look in this thread because of how far between posts are, plus I don't post much due to running low on space in my gallery (and admittedly not using my 50 as much as I should).
11-22-2017, 02:50 AM   #59
Pentaxian

I was surprised to look back at page 3 of this thread and see how much my opinion of the Takumar 50mm/1.4 has changed since then. Back in January 2016 I was saying that it was giving great results after de-yellowing, but in fact as time went on I started to feel that I never should have de-yellowed it at all. The more neutral colour rendering started to bore me, producing results that were sharp but without character, and I found that I was always using the Super Takumar 55mm instead of the 50mm. So in the end the 50mm/1.4 had to go (made a small profit though because the glass was now clear).

I guess the moral of the story is to think very carefully before de-yellowing. What if it's the yellowing itself that made you like the lens in the first place? It certainly turned out to be that way for me.
11-22-2017, 04:03 AM   #60

Hi guys..
New to the forum.. I've been buying vintage lens.. using then wI thought grate success.
Please don't laugh at me asking if my lens are harmful..
I've got one that just won't touch.
I have vivitar 28mm f2.5 m42 kiron.
I've read that the early ones have contaminated glass.. and mid to later ones have nun..
Is this lens radioactive? With coating?
That's the vivitar 28mm 2.5 kiron
Serial No 22