Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Patrickbrimicombe Quote
Hi guys..
New to the forum.. I've been buying vintage lens.. using then wI thought grate success.
Please don't laugh at me asking if my lens are harmful..
I've got one that just won't touch.
I have vivitar 28mm f2.5 m42 kiron.
I've read that the early ones have contaminated glass.. and mid to later ones have nun..
Is this lens radioactive? With coating?
That's the vivitar 28mm 2.5 kiron
Serial No 22
You probably shouldn't lick the lens daily, or sleep with it next to your brain, heart, or private parts every night for a series of decades...just to be on the safe side.

11-22-2017, 08:13 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
You probably shouldn't lick the lens daily, or sleep with it next to your brain, heart, or private parts every night for a series of decades...just to be on the safe side.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.
01-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
There's still hope! Plenty of poor, neglected 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumars need loving homes, adopt one today at your local ebay or ff marketplace!
A Tak 50/1.4 is now on its way to me. I got it cheaper attached to a Spotmatic than if I had tried to get it in a 'bay auction. I couldn't tell if it has any yellowing from the ad photos. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Maybe I can use it to treat any suspicious moles on my skin and save on healthcare costs!
01-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
A Tak 50/1.4 is now on its way to me. I got it cheaper attached to a Spotmatic than if I had tried to get it in a 'bay auction. I couldn't tell if it has any yellowing from the ad photos. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Maybe I can use it to treat any suspicious moles on my skin and save on healthcare costs!
Congrats. Hope it's a good copy. Mine is in need of cleaning, as it's starting to get small fungal spots... guess the silica gel packs in my bag were in need of replacement.

01-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Congrats. Hope it's a good copy. Mine is in need of cleaning, as it's starting to get small fungal spots... guess the silica gel packs in my bag were in need of replacement.
That must be radiation resistant fungus! YIKES
01-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Super Tak 1.4/50 arrived. The glass is a kind of lovely champagne color. We'll see if it glows in the dark tonight--ha, ha!

The serial number is 2296001.
07-28-2018, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #67

Some shots with my Super takumar 50 F1.4, both wide open. I never bothered removing the yellow hue as i also have a non-thoriated smc 50mm f1.4. i find the warm yellow adds a bit of a romantic touch to some photos..

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-28-2018, 04:46 AM   #68

and how hot was the lens really? Working in the radiography business, i had an easy opportunity to find out. For those interested: 12.5 microsievert/hr is not particularly much, but it is above the legal dose limit for radiation workers in Europe (which is at 7.5 microsievert/hr in most countries). being ver weak radiation, the camera actually shields off most of it, leaving only around 1-2 microsieverts/hr. Walking through mountainous terrain will likely give you a higher dose from background radiation, let alone going on a plane...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 640 LTE Dual SIM  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 640 LTE Dual SIM  Photo 
08-01-2018, 01:09 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Super Tak 1.4/50 arrived. The glass is a kind of lovely champagne color. We'll see if it glows in the dark tonight--ha, ha!
awesome find ! lucky you, will wait for some photos from this gem
11-10-2019, 11:08 PM - 4 Likes   #70
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 IIs with Super Takumar 35mm f2

02-07-2022, 05:33 PM - 2 Likes   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There was some mention of radioactive lenses in another thread, so I thought I'd check my old Takumar's. Turns out both my 50mm f1.4's are radioactive, but one is half the radiation dose as the other one. The one I've been using more is the hotter one, 15-17 uSv/h with a probe touching the rear element. I like the way photos taken with it look though, and it's the older one with a metal focus ring rather than a rubber grip.

And some shots taken with it on my K1.

Kristian