Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2021, 01:26 AM   #3766
Pentaxian
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,656
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
This is great news - I wondered how they were going to implement the legacy lens improvements. Is there much hassle to inputing the Aperture setting for your M42/K/M lenses?
All the aperture setting does is write it into your EXIF data. The setting is tied to the rear dial which would on A series + lenses actually change the aperture. So you just need to remember to dial it in. My only criticism (and this might be a custom setting, I haven't investigated it yet) is that it is in whole stops only. So, with my f/3.5 lenses, I have a choice of f/2 or f/4, but not f/3.5.

Still, ballpark is more useful than nothing at all.

K.

04-28-2021, 03:22 AM   #3767
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 7,550
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
All the aperture setting does is write it into your EXIF data. The setting is tied to the rear dial which would on A series + lenses actually change the aperture. So you just need to remember to dial it in. My only criticism (and this might be a custom setting, I haven't investigated it yet) is that it is in whole stops only. So, with my f/3.5 lenses, I have a choice of f/2 or f/4, but not f/3.5.

Still, ballpark is more useful than nothing at all.

K.
That seems like a very strange decision to make, only having whole stops. Maybe there's a menu setting like there is to change exposure by half or one-third stops?

The added ease for using legacy glass is what most draws me to the K3 III, although I'm sure all the other improvements are very nice too.
04-28-2021, 04:27 AM   #3768
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mattt's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Niagara
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,485
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
All the aperture setting does is write it into your EXIF data. The setting is tied to the rear dial which would on A series + lenses actually change the aperture. So you just need to remember to dial it in. My only criticism (and this might be a custom setting, I haven't investigated it yet) is that it is in whole stops only. So, with my f/3.5 lenses, I have a choice of f/2 or f/4, but not f/3.5.

Still, ballpark is more useful than nothing at all.

K.
If not a custom setting, it seems like an easy firmware fix since its a placeholder only.
04-28-2021, 09:02 PM   #3769
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Appingedam
Posts: 1,394
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
All the aperture setting does is write it into your EXIF data. The setting is tied to the rear dial which would on A series + lenses actually change the aperture. So you just need to remember to dial it in. My only criticism (and this might be a custom setting, I haven't investigated it yet) is that it is in whole stops only. So, with my f/3.5 lenses, I have a choice of f/2 or f/4, but not f/3.5.

Still, ballpark is more useful than nothing at all.

K.
I agree completely, I often find myself noting that an image must have been taken at around f/x, so the ballpark figure is nice to have. I'm not at all sure whether the other brands have something like this, but it is certainly thoughtful of Pentax.

04-29-2021, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #3770
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 7,550
K 28mm f/2


Fallen blossom II
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
05-01-2021, 03:55 AM - 2 Likes   #3771
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 7,550
Something I've enjoyed a bit recently - getting something sharp in the back ground and some bokeh in the foreground, instead of the other way around. It seems the 28/2 is a good lens for that as it's sharp wide open but wide enough to include a decent amount of foreground.


Distant
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
05-02-2021, 12:41 AM   #3772
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Appingedam
Posts: 1,394
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Something I've enjoyed a bit recently - getting something sharp in the back ground and some bokeh in the foreground, instead of the other way around. It seems the 28/2 is a good lens for that as it's sharp wide open but wide enough to include a decent amount of foreground.


Distant
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
This one is very nice. I like the change in perspective and sharpness.
05-03-2021, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #3773
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 7,550
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
This one is very nice. I like the change in perspective and sharpness.
Many thanks. This is the alternative: focused close. But I like the other version more.


Close
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

05-03-2021, 12:37 PM - 2 Likes   #3774
New Member
Dutch mosquito's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2021
Photos: Albums
Posts: 24
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
... This is the alternative: focused close. But I like the other version more.
I totally agree with that. You would rather look at such a beautiful white building than at an empty pack of cigarettes. In the first photo you immediately look at the white building and the package is not noticeable. In the second photo, you first look at the sharply depicted package, but your gaze is quickly drawn through the large white building.
05-03-2021, 11:24 PM   #3775
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Appingedam
Posts: 1,394
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Many thanks. This is the alternative: focused close. But I like the other version more.


Close
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Indeed, the top one works much better!
05-04-2021, 12:11 AM - 3 Likes   #3776
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 7,550
K 28mm f/2


Minion
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
05-04-2021, 03:08 PM - 2 Likes   #3777
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
wtlwdwgn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Billings, MT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,918
Two from the K-1 II and K 50mm f/1.2 at MFD and f/1.2. There sure isn't an awful lot of DoF to play with.

Front focal point.



Rear focal point.
05-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #3778
Pentaxian
edom31's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Garden City, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,337
K 100/4 Macro





05-05-2021, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #3779
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Appingedam
Posts: 1,394
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Two from the K-1 II and K 50mm f/1.2 at MFD and f/1.2. There sure isn't an awful lot of DoF to play with.

Front focal point.



Rear focal point.
These are quite artistic. I was struggling to identify what was in the first image.

---------- Post added 05-05-21 at 12:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
K 100/4 Macro




Love the pop of the yellow colour in these!
05-05-2021, 03:29 AM   #3780
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 7,550
K 28mm f/2


Blue train
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
close, colors, dof, f1.2, flickr, focus, guy, idaho, k135, k28, lens, lenses, love, mine, moon shot, pentax, pentax k30, pentax lens, photo, post, raindrop, series, shot, sunset, sw, thanks, thread, time, versa
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The M Club! jsherman999 Lens Clubs 8642 9 Hours Ago 05:20 AM
D-FA WR Club Rico Lens Clubs 633 3 Days Ago 03:36 AM
The A Club jake.astig Lens Clubs 3798 6 Days Ago 02:56 AM
The F Club! jsherman999 Lens Clubs 1026 04-16-2021 11:17 AM
In the club again metroeloise Post Your Photos! 4 10-20-2008 08:59 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top