Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4279 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #751
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am currently looking at a couple of K lenses on ebay and would like some users' opinions please. The first is a K300/4, the seller claims it suffers from bad purple fringing and I have seen several reviews along these lines - is this a common problem or specific to certain copies? Can it be overcome with technique or does it require a lot of PP to rectify? How does it rate for sharpness etc?

The second lens is a K 80-200/4.5 which I don't know anything about. Are there some opinions on sharpness, colour etc for this lens?

I mainly want a long lens for photographing my kids swimming, playing sport etc. Would a 300mm prime be suitable and if not is a zoom that goes to 200mm long enough? Any opinions would be appreciated.

08-16-2010, 01:52 AM   #752
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by samski_1 Quote
I am currently looking at a couple of K lenses on ebay and would like some users' opinions please. The first is a K300/4, the seller claims it suffers from bad purple fringing and I have seen several reviews along these lines - is this a common problem or specific to certain copies? Can it be overcome with technique or does it require a lot of PP to rectify? How does it rate for sharpness etc?

The second lens is a K 80-200/4.5 which I don't know anything about. Are there some opinions on sharpness, colour etc for this lens?

I mainly want a long lens for photographing my kids swimming, playing sport etc. Would a 300mm prime be suitable and if not is a zoom that goes to 200mm long enough? Any opinions would be appreciated.
I think you are better off with the DA55-300 zoom. unless you are collecting K lenses, then buy if you must.
08-16-2010, 03:48 AM   #753
Veteran Member

Samski,

We kicked around the pros and cons of the SMC K 300/4 is the following thread a few years ago. In high contrast situations, like many other lenses, it is prone to PF issues. The other knock on the lens is a lack of a tripod mount.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/29940-pentax-s...d-300-4-a.html

Personally, I'm a fan of this old lens and if you get one in good condition I think it is the best bargain in the 300mm focal length you are likely to find. Just take some time to get used to it and I think you will be pleased.

Tom G
08-16-2010, 04:29 AM   #754
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Samski,

We kicked around the pros and cons of the SMC K 300/4 is the following thread a few years ago. In high contrast situations, like many other lenses, it is prone to PF issues. The other knock on the lens is a lack of a tripod mount.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/29940-pentax-s...d-300-4-a.html

Personally, I'm a fan of this old lens and if you get one in good condition I think it is the best bargain in the 300mm focal length you are likely to find. Just take some time to get used to it and I think you will be pleased.

Tom G

Thanks Tom,
I will have a close look at that discussion. I already have one "K" lens (55/2) which I love for colour reproduction and sharpness (and cost) and would love to try a few more.

Sam

08-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #755
Veteran Member

Hi sam, have copies of DA55-300 and k300, and thats a hard call to make.
not lookin for a shoot-out in Oh-K corral, but here goes.
advantages of variable focal length with DA are obvious.
think image quality from K is better compared to DA
in terms of ergonomics, DA wins hands down.
in regard to robustness of build, be hard pressed to find better built 'tank' than k
Also F4 minimum apeture opens up some opps not so accesable to somewhat
slower DA.

PF and CA issues are apparent with k, but can be much minimized with technique.
Im going to take easy way out, feel that they compliment each other in my apps
08-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #756
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I have a K 80-200 f/4.5. I recently tested it in a rough fashion against the FA-J 75-300, and it was sharper and with slightly nicer bokeh. It showed a touch of PF, but much less than a Tamron Adaptall 70-210, and again nicer bokeh. I haven't had a DA55-300, and I think I would prefer that lens, but for now I will stick with the K. Good luck!
08-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #757
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Hi Phil,
Thought you would like it. Just to get used to it I used the K 200/2.5 almost exclusively for 6 months. I do the same with most of my new lenses. I used it for sports, portraits and even some street photography. This allowed me time to get used to it and what it could do.
Tom G
This is a good idea. I do the same but not for 6 months. I use 1 lens for 2-4 weeks and then switch to the next one. Right now I am exploring the K24/2.8.

Kind regards
.lars

08-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #758
Veteran Member

Smc k200/2.5

This lens capabilities is staggering in my mind
Can see why people would delight in using for portrature
What was really a suprise was close-up apps
Flower was handheld hyperfocal@ 2 meters, is 90% crop
Has anyone used 200/2.5 with extension tubes?
Attached Images

08-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #759
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Recercare Quote
This is a good idea. I do the same but not for 6 months. I use 1 lens for 2-4 weeks and then switch to the next one. Right now I am exploring the K24/2.8.

Kind regards
.lars
I'm a slow learner lars. Actually, I think I took even more time with the M 400/5.6.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-17-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: typo
08-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #760
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
This lens capabilities is staggering in my mind
Can see why people would delight in using for portrature
What was really a suprise was close-up apps
Flower was handheld hyperfocal@ 2 meters, is 90% crop
Has anyone used 200/2.5 with extension tubes?
Nice work Bill,

It is very versatile and you use it well. It is always in my bag.

Tom G
08-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #761
Veteran Member

Thanks Tom, subjects were very co-operative. Your partly responsible for me having
this copy. Picked up m400/5.6, realized after seeing your and someothers(Albert) post
It has everything "in it" I'll ever need, At a good price. 200 came along afterward
and after saving a bit and filling my needs with 400, had to move on it.
glad I did. Wife gives me any guff, I blame you and Albert
Cheers,
Bill
08-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #762
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Thanks Tom, subjects were very co-operative. Your partly responsible for me having
this copy. Picked up m400/5.6, realized after seeing your and someothers(Albert) post
It has everything "in it" I'll ever need, At a good price. 200 came along afterward
and after saving a bit and filling my needs with 400, had to move on it.
glad I did. Wife gives me any guff, I blame you and Albert
Cheers,
Bill
Glad you are enjoying them Bill. I've had a lot of fun with both of these lenses. The K 200/2.5 is my favourite manual focus lens of all time. That being said I've been using the M 400/5.6 more than any of my other lenses of late. I'll take the blame if you wish. Tell you wife she will have to stand in line to hate me in any case.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-19-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typo
08-22-2010, 03:29 AM   #763
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just came home from a beautiful winter's weekend at the beach house. Here are some pics from the K55/2. I will post some more later.

Sam
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
08-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #764
Veteran Member

Hi Sam, Had a copy of your glass long time ago, got caught up in a 'need for speed'
exchanged later for m50/1.4. Looking back, might of gained a little speed, but I
think I might of gave up a little sharpness to do it.
Love to see more, nice to see stuff from a place Ive dreamed of visiting.
Bill
08-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #765
Veteran Member