Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4287 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2020, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #3661
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stubyles Quote
Thanks, I bought that lens out there, couldn't really come back from Tokyo without buying at least one!
I bought mine from Japan as I hadn't managed to find one nearer to home. I used it in last month's "Single in..." challenge, although on a K-3. Lovely shots by the way!

K.

11-24-2020, 12:30 AM   #3662
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I didn't buy any new lenses when I was there - all the used ones I saw were more expensive than I can generally find them over here in Europe. The new stuff they had was very tempting though, seeing all that brand new Pentax gear laid out, you'd never see that here even in the biggest photo/electronics shop.

I bought some films that are hard to get or more expensive here and a few little things that I hadn't seen elsewhere and that's it. I'd have bought a lot more were it not for the ever-watchful eye of SWMBO.
Odd, that used stuff is more expensive over there compared to Europe. You'd think that the greater availability in Japan would lead to lower prices. Then again, I have no idea how the PPI in Japan relates to that in the EU. Anyway, Yoo took some lovely photos that will undoubtedly also please SWMBO.
11-24-2020, 03:35 AM   #3663
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Odd, that used stuff is more expensive over there compared to Europe. You'd think that the greater availability in Japan would lead to lower prices. Then again, I have no idea how the PPI in Japan relates to that in the EU. Anyway, Yoo took some lovely photos that will undoubtedly also please SWMBO.
Perhaps I didn't look in the right places. If I'd taken SWMBO on a day trip around old camera shops then she would have complained, so I just had a quick look in the ones we happened past.
11-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #3664
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps I didn't look in the right places. If I'd taken SWMBO on a day trip around old camera shops then she would have complained, so I just had a quick look in the ones we happened past.
Me too, had to plan to accidentally "Wander" past a camera shop every couple of days

11-25-2020, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #3665
Pentaxian

K 55mm f/1.8. I haven't used this lens for ages but after using my SMC Tak 55/1.8 just before, and for the same subjects in the same place, I can say that the K is considerably sharper.

Autumn
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
11-25-2020, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #3666
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stubyles Quote
Me too, had to plan to accidentally "Wander" past a camera shop every couple of days
Google maps is your friend, I suppose.
11-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #3667
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K 55mm f/1.8. I haven't used this lens for ages but after using my SMC Tak 55/1.8 just before, and for the same subjects in the same place, I can say that the K is considerably sharper.
Interesting, given that per the database here they appear to have the same optical formula. I do love my K55/1.8.

11-26-2020, 12:17 AM   #3668
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Interesting, given that per the database here they appear to have the same optical formula. I do love my K55/1.8.
Yep, that seems the case, however, the K is considerably heavier and appears to be slightly bigger. It definitely takes a bigger filter, so there must be some differences.
11-27-2020, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #3669
Pentaxian

Yep, that seems the case, however, the K is considerably heavier and appears to be slightly bigger. It definitely takes a bigger filter, so there must be some differences.
The differences could just be down to the housing, with the lenses using the same formula. Maybe my Takumar isn't the sharpest copy, or maybe my K is one of the better copies.

Here's another photo from it

Flowers II
11-27-2020, 10:45 PM   #3670
Pentaxian

The differences could just be down to the housing, with the lenses using the same formula. Maybe my Takumar isn't the sharpest copy, or maybe my K is one of the better copies.

Here's another photo from it

Flowers II
Whatever the optical formula, you make nice images with it.
12-07-2020, 08:39 AM - 2 Likes   #3671
Pentaxian

X-T20 and K 55mm f/1.8

Discarded
12-09-2020, 07:25 AM - 2 Likes   #3672
Pentaxian

K 55mm f/1.8

Lamps
12-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #3673
Pentaxian

I've had this discussion in another thread... There is a difference, depending on with Tak 55/1.8 you have. For example, I have the K and Super Tak 55/1.8 and while the formula might be the same, the elements vary. Some Taks 55/1.8 are known to have used Thorium in an element. This makes them different from other taks, and the K.

My Super Tak has thorium - hence it will be different than my K.

From our database on the Tak 55/1.8 = From the 1965 version, at least one of the glass elements is made from radioactive glass which yellows over time.

Read more at: SMC/S-M-C/Super-/Auto-/Takumar 55mm F1.8 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SO I reckon it depends on which version of the tak 55/1.8 you own...

Now a shot to compare the color of the glass...

12-10-2020, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #3674
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I've had this discussion in another thread... There is a difference, depending on with Tak 55/1.8 you have. For example, I have the K and Super Tak 55/1.8 and while the formula might be the same, the elements vary. Some Taks 55/1.8 are known to have used Thorium in an element. This makes them different from other taks, and the K.

My Super Tak has thorium - hence it will be different than my K.

From our database on the Tak 55/1.8 = From the 1965 version, at least one of the glass elements is made from radioactive glass which yellows over time.

Read more at: SMC/S-M-C/Super-/Auto-/Takumar 55mm F1.8 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SO I reckon it depends on which version of the tak 55/1.8 you own...

Now a shot to compare the color of the glass...

Aha, that's quite noticeable. Thanks for sharing this information.
12-10-2020, 05:06 AM   #3675
Pentaxian

K 55mm f/1.8 on X-T20

Shadow and light