Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 79 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #781
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Great IQ in that Yashinon shot! Is this a cropped version of the original? Tx.
All I did was crop the RAW image and then converted it to JPEG. No other post processing was done.

I really appreciate the kind comments. It is nice encouragement for a beginner. It seems to be a great lens and particularly sharp wide open.

Thanks,

Al

11-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #782
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Been playing with the Mamiya 60mm some more, my mother asked for pictures of some stuff in her aquarium, the lens appears to be perfect for that. Some are wide open, some are around 5.6, all unedited and straight JPG out of my K100D. No idea what any of this stuff is, last thing looks like it should be on a blacklight poster from the '70s.

11-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #783
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Elliot: Been playing with the Mamiya 60mm some more, my mother asked for pictures of some stuff in her aquarium, the lens appears to be perfect for that. Some are wide open, some are around 5.6, all unedited and straight JPG out of my K100D. No idea what any of this stuff is, last thing looks like it should be on a blacklight poster from the '70s.
Given the parameters you set for the lens in these shots, it is absolutely amazing IQ. Shooting through aquarium glass takes a toll on IQ. Hard to believe the wide open shots here--thanks for the treat. I'm yet to see a Mamiya image I didn't thoroughly enjoy.
11-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #784
Inactive Account

That Mamiya amazes me every time I use it. I think $150 for the Mamiya, Bushnell and Suntar was money well spent, even if the Bushnell and Suntar turn out to be unremarkable. All of them were in new or like new condition, I got them from a friend who barely used them.

To get an idea of the actual size of some of those things in the tank, this is a quick shot of the whole tank with the Bushnell 35mm, it is about a 2x2 cube, 24 gallon I think.

I need to get to know the Bushnell next, seems to be a very nice lens, couldn't find any real information on it, it could just be a rebrand of something well known.

Here is another macro from the Mamiya I forgot about.

11-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #785
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok. I admit. I have a problem. I just bought another lens. LBA is in full force.

It's a Steinheil Munchen Culminar f1:4.5 135mm. I should have it early next week.

There is something incredibly liberating about being able to use a 60 year old lens on a one year old camera...
11-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #786
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Voytech: Ok. I admit. I have a problem. I just bought another lens. LBA is in full force.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step--good for you comrade.

QuoteQuote:
Voytech: It's a Steinheil Munchen Culminar f1:4.5 135mm. I should have it early next week.
Wow, with the name alone, I'm expecting excellent IQ. It looks to be built with the purpose of lasting forever.

QuoteQuote:
Voytech: There is something incredibly liberating about being able to use a 60 year old lens on a one year old camera...
I agree, %100 It probably was the clinching factor for me jumping on board the Pentax ship. Have fun with this incredible looking lens, but DO NOT forget to post here.
11-19-2010, 06:19 AM   #787
Veteran Member

I checked the limited info I could find online and this lens is actually their most common and cheap at the same time. It's from the early fifties and I think it uses a Tessar formula. It's 4 elements in three groups. From the low resolution files I was able to dig up, it is quite sharp (at least for its age) and the bokeh (although the DOF is rather large at f/4.5) should be quite decent because of the 10 curved blades. We'll see! Cannot wait!

11-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #788
Veteran Member

I love following this thread.
Here are some images I took a couple of weeks back. These where at my Daughters baby shower. I used my me super with the Sakir 135F/2.8 and Ilford xp-2

These are family and friends.
My wifes cousin and kid

My son in law on the right

My daughter elizabeth in the middle

My daughter claire on the right

My daughter Cathryn with baby in the oven

Friends

11-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #789
Veteran Member

ok the lowly holga

and it's fisheye 2 cousin

11-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #790
Inactive Account

Took the Bushnell 35mm and Suntar 135mm to the Rennisance Festival today, quite impressed with some of the shots I got out of them. Didn't bring any other lenses. All unedited JPGs, just scaled down by PhotoBucket.

These are all from the Bushnell.

Gypsy Geoff catching the wrong end of one of his flaming sticks:

Here is one of his more successful tricks:

Caught this on my way out, light up juggling pins:

One of the 'professional drunks':

Here is what I got with the Suntar.

Glass artist at work:

My friend's girlfriend teasing him after effortlessly scaling a wall that he couldn't without even wearing shoes:

Bird trainer:

Overall, I think they did very well.

Last edited by elliott; 11-21-2010 at 06:41 PM.
11-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #791
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
jgredline: I love following this thread.
Agreed! There are so many great shooters (like yourself) making so many nice contributions--Stevebrot be the brainchild of this one!!! +6 to Steve

QuoteQuote:
Elliott:These are all from the Bushnell.
These are all excellent: nice contrast, colors and sharpness. I enjoyed them--thanks.
11-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #792
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Here are a couple of more shots from the Yashinon version of the Tomioka 60mm Macro. I had to go over to help my folks today and saw a sea of yellow in their backyard. These are Copper Canyon Marigolds. Quite a lovely flower. It was pretty overcast today and I have noticed that the lens/camera meters a little toward the underexposed side. But then again being new to this it may be normal but easily compensated for. There was a little processing done but not much a little contrast and just a touch of sharpening. Seems like a very nice lens. I stopped these down a little. I think one was f4 and one f5.6, it seems sharp with nice bokeh. However I am no expert but to my eyes I like the result. These are not cropped they are as composed in the view finder.

I am having a ball with these manual lenses. I hardly use the kit lenses that came with the camera. I think the manual lenses force me to learn photography, which I really appreciate. It really forces me to think how the light interact with the camera/lens.

Thanks,

Al
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
11-25-2010, 05:19 AM   #793
Veteran Member

So I was wrong about the Steinheil. It has 16 blades, not 10. My copy is also the Leica mount, so I've ordered the step up ring to M42. Should be here tomorrow. Meanwhile, my brother is bringing over his Zorki rangefinder (with M39 mount) so we'll shoot off a roll using the Steinheil.

Here are the blades in all of their oily glory...

11-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #794
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
So I was wrong about the Steinheil. It has 16 blades, not 10. My copy is also the Leica mount, so I've ordered the step up ring to M42. Should be here tomorrow. Meanwhile, my brother is bringing over his Zorki rangefinder (with M39 mount) so we'll shoot off a roll using the Steinheil.

Here are the blades in all of their oily glory...
The oil is no concern unless it gets on the glass. Some oil is the rule and is often essential for manual or pre-set aperture lenses.

As for the M39 mount. If it is Zenit M39, things will be good with the step-up adapter. If it is LTM (Leica M39), you will have a nice macro lens with no infinity focus due to the shorter registration distance. If it is LTM, send it to me. I have a Zorki and a FED

Steve
11-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #795
Veteran Member

Steve, I don't know which it is. All I know is that when held against the camera it works as any other lens I have. Also, we weren't able to use it on the Zorki. The focus thingy was protruding too much. Since I've had this lens almost completely apart (had to clean it because someone spread the lube oil from sides of barrel onto the rear element), I know that focus wedge can be adjusted. We just didn't want to bother. Tomorrow I get the step up ring so I'll finally be able to properly run it through its paces.