Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 79 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #661
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Auto-Rikenon (M42 screw)? XR Rikenon? Rikenon-P?

Steve

Jeez, I didn't know there were so many options!

It's the Rikenon-P.

07-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #662
Veteran Member

Komura 135/2.3 @f/5.6
07-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #663
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philcozz Quote
Jeez, I didn't know there were so many options!

It's the Rikenon-P.

Careful with the Rikenon-P lenses. They have the dreaded Ricoh Pin! The Rikenon-P mount is an off-shoot from the standard K-mount that provides programmed and shutter priority exposure automation on many Ricoh bodies. The P mount caused no cross-compatibility issues to Pentax and other cameras when it was originally produced, but issues surfaced when Pentax released its auto-focus camera bodies.

The short story is that the Rikenon-P lenses have a pin or ball fitting that can jam into the auto-focus drive on your camera body. This jamming can make it very difficult to remove the lens from the camera. The kind with the ball fitting are less of an issue and may not pose a problem, but the pin variety is strictly dangerous. There are instructions on this forum and elsewhere on how to remove the offending pin.

Steve
07-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #664
Closed Account

Careful with the Rikenon-P lenses. They have the dreaded Ricoh Pin! The Rikenon-P mount is an off-shoot from the standard K-mount that provides programmed and shutter priority exposure automation on many Ricoh bodies. The P mount caused no cross-compatibility issues to Pentax and other cameras when it was originally produced, but issues surfaced when Pentax released its auto-focus camera bodies.

The short story is that the Rikenon-P lenses have a pin or ball fitting that can jam into the auto-focus drive on your camera body. This jamming can make it very difficult to remove the lens from the camera. The kind with the ball fitting are less of an issue and may not pose a problem, but the pin variety is strictly dangerous. There are instructions on this forum and elsewhere on how to remove the offending pin.

Steve
Thanks for the heads up. Mine is the one with the ball fitting and it does seem to go on an off rather easily. That said, I did just pick up a used Pentax-A 50mm 1.7, so that might get more use than the Ricoh anyway.

07-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #665
Veteran Member

Komura 135mm f/2.3

07-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #666
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Komura 135mm f2.3

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Wide open it's soft and low contrast, and the large front element really needs a shade. But stopped down a bit not bad:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/4789288123/

@f/5.6
Your samples here show it to be a nicely balanced lens.
Is it big and heavy?

Perhaps you could add a review to the database?
07-22-2010, 04:13 AM   #667
Veteran Member

Fern with Dog Hair

Komura 135/2.3

Thanks, I don't get along with 135mm's much, but this one looks to be friendly. I'll need to work with the lens - and compare with a couple of others - before I write a review.

07-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #668

OSAWA 70-150mm f3.8

I have had this lens from new, must be nearly 30 years old. From what I can find out; OSAWA supplied lens for Mamiya, then at some point they made lens for the mass camera market. Then about 1984 they went bust and from then on it may have been used just as a brand name. I believe this lens was made by OSAWA. I like this lens with built in lens hood, having focus and zoom separate has not bothered me.

The picture of the fuchsia is 150mm f3.8 iso400 1/200

Last edited by fb_penpho; 12-17-2016 at 05:01 AM.
07-24-2010, 04:05 AM   #669
Veteran Member

That Osawa 2-touch looks like a good lens.

Nikkor-N 24mm f/2.8 on K100D

07-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #670
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
I have had this lens from new, must be nearly 30 years old. From what I can find out; OSAWA supplied lens for Mamiya, then at some point they made lens for the mass camera market. Then about 1984 they went bust and from then on it may have been used just as a brand name. I believe this lens was made by OSAWA. I like this lens with built in lens hood, having focus and zoom separate has not bothered me.

The picture of the fuchsia is 150mm f3.8 iso400 1/200
Nice lens and nice photos.

Osawa was a major (sole?) distributor for Mamiya photographic products at the time they went abruptly bankrupt in 1984 They almost took Mamiya with them. It was at that point that Mamiya ceased production of 35mm cameras and lenses to focus exclusively on their medium format professional products. Both Osawa and Mamiya made lenses and there was undoubtedly some shared DNA. There is an extended discussion of the relationship between the two lens lines on the Mamiya forum with contributions by Ron Herron (THE Mamiya man) himself:
Mamiya 35mm Forum - Mamiya and Osawa Lenses

Steve
07-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #671

Industar-50-2 (50mm, f/3.5)

For some reason this lens doesn't go out very often, though I really like it.

Last edited by DNeal; 07-24-2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: changed flickr embedding
07-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #672
Veteran Member

I've been wanting to put one up in this thread, some really nice work in here This is from my Tokina EL 28mm 2.8:

07-27-2010, 02:37 AM   #673

Auto Chinon 1:1.7 f=55mm K10D M42 screw mount

I have a few Chinon Lenses, some duplicates even in different shape.

I was out with our hovawart puppy Amiga yesterday and took some pictures that i really think show the sharpness of the lens. Unfortunately I didn't write down the aperture but I was taking pictures between 2 and 5.6.

The lens look like number three on this page, Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - 3 x Auto Chinon 55/1.7 compared, with a leather "belt".

Cheers
Björn
Attached Images

08-29-2010, 01:32 AM   #674
Forum Member

Photos: Albums

(...) The cool thing about the off-brand lenses is that aside from the various collectibles (Revuenon, for example), they can often be purchased for very little money and represent the potential for a lot of fun and experimentation.

Steve
That's exactly the way I look at my old M42 lenses. Fun and experimentation. Some results are surprising (in both ways).

There are good well known russian cheap lenses (see "soviet club"), and japanese-made great surprises (Sears / Rikenon 135mm/2.8 ; just to quote one).

I got most of my old lenses some years ago, when film cameras were plentiful in second hand shops around here. Some of them came "freely" in a bag hidden somewhere when I bought the exposed camera+lens !

I recently dug up two japanese primes I hadn't yet used.

The first one is a Kaligar f3.5/200mm telephoto. The focusing ring is hard to turn, but it does correctly. Hope I'll use it one of these days.

The second one is a f2.8/50mm Auto Flex. I probably didn't gave it a try because it can't be stopped down manually (no A/M switch) and I had faster "standard" primes having this convenience. I took some shots wide opened and discovered it's not bad at all... And mechanically, it's among the smoother primes I own ! As easy operating as my S-Tak 1.8/55mm ! And I like the recessed front glass...
Last week I lightly glued the aperture pin and took some pictures. The one here is direct jpg file from my K100D, just a bit cropped and size reduced.

I've still to read all of this topic, so I don't know if I'll find some infos about those lenses... But if s.o. has infos...
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
08-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #675
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sherwood Quote
That's exactly the way I look at my old M42 lenses. Fun and experimentation. Some results are surprising (in both ways).

There are good well known russian cheap lenses (see "soviet club"), and japanese-made great surprises (Sears / Rikenon 135mm/2.8 ; just to quote one).

I got most of my old lenses some years ago, when film cameras were plentiful in second hand shops around here. Some of them came "freely" in a bag hidden somewhere when I bought the exposed camera+lens !

I recently dug up two japanese primes I hadn't yet used.

The first one is a Kaligar f3.5/200mm telephoto. The focusing ring is hard to turn, but it does correctly. Hope I'll use it one of these days.

The second one is a f2.8/50mm Auto Flex. I probably didn't gave it a try because it can't be stopped down manually (no A/M switch) and I had faster "standard" primes having this convenience. I took some shots wide opened and discovered it's not bad at all... And mechanically, it's among the smoother primes I own ! As easy operating as my S-Tak 1.8/55mm ! And I like the recessed front glass...
Last week I lightly glued the aperture pin and took some pictures. The one here is direct jpg file from my K100D, just a bit cropped and size reduced.

I've still to read all of this topic, so I don't know if I'll find some infos about those lenses... But if s.o. has infos...
@sherwood...Thanks for your comments and contribution! Using cheap, no-name glass has a BIG fun factor and also has the potential of turning up a lens that has a special look to it that is just right for a particular type of photo.

Steve